Is this team too in love with compensatory picks?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Don't mess up the formula and compensation we could get for the future! Why is there so much emphasis on this recently for this team?

We made good use of it in trades, but most of them seem to be in rounds 5-7 in which most can say they are for sure practice squad bound and need time to develop. How do you feel about these compensatory picks we've grown to love, please give your thoughts

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
No. It's a team in love being OK and maintaining that OK-ness because that's what "wins".

I'm out. Later taters.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It tough to say that’s their motivation.

I’m as pissed off as anyone, but if knowing you’re getting comp picks in the 5th and 6th rounds allows them to trade their own picks in those rounds for guys like Gilmore and Cooks, then ok.

It doesn’t justify the odd approach of this off season, nor do I see it adding up to a championship run, but I’d probably rather go that way than overpaying a guy like Biadasz.

The huge problems are elsewhere.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Don't mess up the formula and compensation we could get for the future! Why is there so much emphasis on this recently for this team?

We made good use of it in trades, but most of them seem to be in rounds 5-7 in which most can say they are for sure practice squad bound and need time to develop. How do you feel about these compensatory picks we've grown to love, please give your thoughts
One year rentals suck....but we sure think we are getting a good bargin in a trade.That's your dumb front office for you.

:popcorn: Really starting to think McClay is over-rated

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't think the goal is to accumulate comp picks. I think accumulating picks is a byproduct of the overall team building philosophy. They like to keep the core intact, and build around them. Say the current core is Martin, Dak, Lamb, Parsons, Diggs, Tyler, Bland, and Lawrence...that's where the money is going to go.

Guys like Armstrong, Gallimore, Gilmore (unfortunately), etc etc are all expendable. Those types come and go like a revolving door, used as fillers and when their contracts are up, either they've played themselves into a better contract, which the front office won't match, they aren't worth anything, or in the case of guys like Lewis, they keep around, but only on cheap, short term deals. This leads to a ton of turnover, and considering the FO prefers to build through the draft and UDFA, we tend to see minimal effort throughout FA, which leads to comp picks.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not at all.
it is just the way it works out at times.
omly had what, 2 comp picks last year. I think about 5 or 6 years ago and before that, seems we hardly had any comp picks.