Video: It's time for NFL to have a sky judge

Flamma

Reaction score
Bring back the replacement refs. Who cares if they're not as good? They called blatant fouls and let a lot slide. I'd rather that than calling penalties that never took place, like in the Lions/Packers game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've said many times since the AAF introduced the concept of the sky judge that the NFL needed to implement it immediately.

It's an active view, not just a review.

The sky judge can view and re-view plays multiple times right up until the next snap.

He would only need to stop the game if he sees a problem.

When the on-field refs throw a flag, the sky judge could review a play about 6 times before the Ref announces the call.

If they made the Sky Judge the head of the crew, it would have the best outcome.

The head of each crew is often the oldest ref in the crew anyway. Just make that guy the sky judge.

If they could put him in a little booth on the sideline that would be even better. Put windows in the booth and have it where the cameras can show the sky judge like they show the on field ref when he announces penalties.

Having an on-field ref come over and watch reviews on a tablet like they do now is the dumbest idea ever.

The sky judge could see 6 reviews before the on-field ref sees the 1st one.

EST_1986

Reaction score
I've said many times since the AAF introduced the concept of the sky judge that the NFL needed to implement it immediately.

It's an active view, not just a review.

The sky judge can view and re-view plays multiple times right up until the next snap.

He would only need to stop the game if he sees a problem.

When the on-field refs throw a flag, the sky judge could review a play about 6 times before the Ref announces the call.

If they made the Sky Judge the head of the crew, it would have the best outcome.

The head of each crew is often the oldest ref in the crew anyway. Just make that guy the sky judge.

If they could put him in a little booth on the sideline that would be even better. Put windows in the booth and have it where the cameras can show the sky judge like they show the on field ref when he announces penalties.

Having an on-field ref come over and watch reviews on a tablet like they do now is the dumbest idea ever.

The sky judge could see 6 reviews before the on-field ref sees the 1st one.
This is the smartest idea so prob won’t happen.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It's time to dial back the judgement calls, let the players play and focus on infractions that are pre-snap, procedural, personal fouls and have a direct impact on a play.

Fire407

Reaction score
The NFL will be slow to adopt any other leagues rules or way of doing things. The USFL had mastered using instant replay for challenges way before the NFL decided to do it. And when the NFL first implemented it the officials would take forever on purpose as a protest to having their judgement questioned.

links18

Reaction score
The problem with the NFL is there are too many rules that require too much subjective judgement. Having more levels of review just substitutes one flawed individual's judgement for another too often. Tell the refs to call blatant fouls that substantially affect the play, otherwise let it go.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I've said many times that the ultimate sky judge - God - needs to smote Roger Goodell and the NFL Front Office with lightning bolts, pestilence and plague.

But your mileage may vary.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If be all for it if he was on a little chair zipping around overhead like the Sky Cam.

I was waiting on a flight one time with an NFL film crew. One of them was the guy was in the overhead chair camera back when they did that. He said like five times in 20 minutes that he loved his job.

ultron

Reaction score
Hire college officials - college football doesn't seem to have nearly as many issues with officiating as the pros.