It's TO vs. Bledsoe not TO vs. Parcells

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I'm not at all concerned about how Parcells would deal with TO. There is mutual respect among both people. Even cocky players like TO know when to show some deference and the only people they show respect to is people like Bill Parcells. It was the same way with Shaq and Kobe when Phil Jackson was hired by the Lakers. Those two egos actually decided to listen to their coach because Jackson was a coach worthy of respect in their eyes.

No, the concern that all Cowboy fans should have is will TO respect Drew Bledsoe. Say what you will about Donovan McNabb but he is a QB worthy of respect and he has proven that on the field. When TO first arrived in Philly, he was kissing McNabb's arse and saying how wonderful it is to play with a QB who has a strong arm. I can totally see TO blasting Bledsoe for not getting him the ball or blaming Bledsoe for the lack of offense during some games. TO has issues with QB's and let's be honest, our QB isn't exactly in the A class unless he has FLAWLESS pass protection which is a major unknown at this point.

jrumann59

Reaction score
If he liked McNabbs arm wait till he gets 70 yarder from DB. DB has and will always have a nice strong arm, his problem is he is as mobile as TA was.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bledsoe probably throws a better ball than McNabb, he just doesn't have that scrambling/playmaking ability.

The one difference I think we'll see, when TO yells at Bledsoe, he won't walk away. Bledsoe showed with Key that he will yell too. Irvin pointed out something he saw in Bledsoe that he liked was a game when Glenn had a great game after it was over he saw Bledsoe go and pat Key, letting him know he did his job and that he would get him the ball next time.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I'm not at all concerned about how Parcells would deal with TO. There is mutual respect among both people. Even cocky players like TO know when to show some deference and the only people they show respect to is people like Bill Parcells. It was the same way with Shaq and Kobe when Phil Jackson was hired by the Lakers. Those two egos actually decided to listen to their coach because Jackson was a coach worthy of respect in their eyes.

No, the concern that all Cowboy fans should have is will TO respect Drew Bledsoe. Say what you will about Donovan McNabb but he is a QB worthy of respect and he has proven that on the field. When TO first arrived in Philly, he was kissing McNabb's arse and saying how wonderful it is to play with a QB who has a strong arm. I can totally see TO blasting Bledsoe for not getting him the ball or blaming Bledsoe for the lack of offense during some games. TO has issues with QB's and let's be honest, our QB isn't exactly in the A class unless he has FLAWLESS pass protection which is a major unknown at this point.

I honestly don't think TO would have resorted to throwing McNabb under the bus until McNabb made his comments about TO. Yes they had visible spats on the sideline, but no media confrontations until McNabb said they didn't need TO to get to the SB, therefore they didn't need hiim in the SB. That's when TO started going after him in the media. It wasn't on the field stuff that made TO go after Donovan, it was the off the field comments.

I don't know what Garcia did to make TO pissed, but Bledsoe throws much better than him.

lgarcia792002

Reaction score
to me db is more mature qb then mcflap and garcia owens will have one heck of a season behind db to me if owens tries to trash talk db db wont put up with it he is a mature qb that knows how to handle situations like that db and owens should be one heck of a hook up in my opinion owens contract was giving in an order to not miss behave or else it wont work to me everythign is gonna be as good as it could be i think owens has always wanted to be a cowboy

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
lgarcia792002 said:
to me db is more mature qb then mcflap and garcia owens will have one heck of a season behind db to me if owens tries to trash talk db db wont put up with it he is a mature qb that knows how to handle situations like that db and owens should be one heck of a hook up in my opinion owens contract was giving in an order to not miss behave or else it wont work to me everythign is gonna be as good as it could be i think owens has always wanted to be a cowboy

Is your shift or period key not working? Hahaha, just kidding. As for the post, I agree, Bledsoe should be able to control T.O. the way he's controlled Key.

Hoov

Reaction score
I think bledsoe and TO will be fine. this is bledose's last shot at a superbowl because of his age. i dont think he has anything to prove to anyone, dont think he cares at this point how people perceive him. i think he just wants to go out on top. i dont think he will be fighting for the spotlight, i think bledose will just show up and play, and other than that, think he will keep to himself . dont think he'll get all uptight and insecure about TO with his "I'm the star of the show" mentality. I think bledose will just go out there and run the offense the way Parcells instructs him to. I think there is a very solid chain of command right now.

Reid is players coach and gives all kinds of allowances to the players. Lets the players themselves make a lot of decisions. I think that can work with the right bunch, but when you have that type of system and things start to get out of control, they snowball and its almost impossible to get things back under control.

royhitshard

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
but no media confrontations until McNabb said they didn't need TO to get to the SB, therefore they didn't need hiim in the SB. /QUOTE]
That theory has been brought up way too many times. TO didn't just speak out because of that. What was DM supposed to say, no way we can make it w/out TO? Let that angle go. TO did what he did because he is TO. Let's just hope he doesn't do it here.

johnnycomelately

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

Time will tell but Bledsoe has played with alot of players and had many ups and downs but you never hear teammates criticizing the guy. Bledsoe never throws a teammate under the bus and they respect that. Bledsoe has always been a great team player and class act and never points fingers. He shoulders alot of the blame himself to keep it off others. Hell the guy has been sacked like crazy but you never hear him call out the O-line when they lose, he just says, "we need to play better" or "I made too many mistakes."

Also, Bledsoe is not going to let TO's comments and antics get to him even if they occur. I think Drew is just the QB that is needed in this type of situation. A selfless veteran who knows how to manipulate situations for the good of the team.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
johnnycomelately said:
Time will tell but Bledsoe has played with alot of players and had many ups and downs but you never hear teammates criticizing the guy. Bledsoe never throws a teammate under the bus and they respect that. Bledsoe has always been a great team player and class act and never points fingers. He shoulders alot of the blame himself to keep it off others. Hell the guy has been sacked like crazy but you never hear him call out the O-line when they lose, he just says, "we need to play better" or "I made too many mistakes."

Also, Bledsoe is not going to let TO's comments and antics get to him even if they occur. I think Drew is just the QB that is needed in this type of situation. A selfless veteran who knows how to manipulate situations for the good of the team.

:welcome: to the forum!!

Exactly, I agree. I especially loved the way Bledsoe NEVER threw his O-Line under the bus, but still seemed to send the message with "we need to play better." That, IMO, is Bledsoe's best ability, to get people to know that they need to play better without throwing them under the bus and humiliating them infront of the media...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
royhitshard said:
peplaw06 said:
but no media confrontations until McNabb said they didn't need TO to get to the SB, therefore they didn't need hiim in the SB. /QUOTE]
That theory has been brought up way too many times. TO didn't just speak out because of that. What was DM supposed to say, no way we can make it w/out TO? Let that angle go. TO did what he did because he is TO. Let's just hope he doesn't do it here.

The least McNad could have done is say that they were going to miss TO in the playoff run. There was no arguing that TO helped them immensely in that season. McNad basically was saying that the team was no different with or without TO, which is ridiculous.

Cowchips

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

The difference is that Drew will get in his face and tell him off, just like he did with Key. McBaby kept running away from TO, so he knew he was an easy mark.

vicjagger

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2379630

Updated: March 22, 2006, 2:56 PM ET
Bledsoe ready to play with T.O.By Michael Smith
ESPN.com
Archive

DANA POINT, Calif. -- For some reason I didn't think to check my watch. But I'd say it was about 4-ish, 7 Eastern. This was last Monday, the second day of the third annual Athletes First Classic benefiting the Orangewood PALS charity. We were on the No. 7 tee at Monarch Beach Golf Links when Drew Bledsoe's BlackBerry began buzzing.

Bledsoe had an incoming call from an unfamiliar number, originating from area code 678. He turned to his longtime agent, Athletes First's David Dunn, and asked where 678 was. Dunn told him Atlanta. "Who's calling me from Atlanta?" Bledsoe asked.

Bledsoe touched green and retreated to a quiet area behind the tee. When he returned to his cart, before ending the conversation, the last thing he told the caller was, "Thanks for calling, man. … This the best number to reach you?… Let's light this thing on fire."

"That was T.O.," Bledsoe told the waiting group.

We're all waiting. Waiting for his first trip to the big blue star at midfield in Texas Stadium. And waiting for his first sideline outburst. And the point when the Dallas Cowboys, like the 49ers and Eagles before them, say enough is enough. Terrell Owens, signed by the Cowboys last weekend to a three-year contract worth up to $25 million, while arguably the best wide receiver in football, too often during his 10-year career has been as disruptive as he has been dominant.

“ Listen man. I'm going into Year 14. I want to win. This is a guy that's going to help us win right now. ”
— Drew Bledsoe on the Cowboys' signing Terrell Owens

And yet for some reason, the Cowboys believe -- despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary and a unique body of work that, along with 101 touchdown catches and more than 10,000 receiving yards, includes two divided locker rooms and franchises -- that somehow it'll be different this time. That Owens will be different. That Bledsoe and Bill Parcells will be spared the wrath that Jeff Garcia, Steve Mariucci, Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid were not.

And I agree.

Hear me out.

First, Owens got paid. He received a record deal, about which he flows on his Web site. All Owens has to do is perform the way he can and not act out enough to get kicked off the team and he should see every dime.

No one expects Owens to change, but he has the ultimate incentive to behave. "The guy's been through some stuff," Bledsoe said. "I don't think he wants to sit down for half the year anymore."

Second, Parcells and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones have experience when it comes to dealing with what we'll call high-maintenance players, a fact about which Jones elaborated extensively during the news conference Saturday to announce the Owens signing. The Cowboys still will give Owens the leeway to be himself. (By the way, we've all heard the expression about too many egos in one room, but I can't imagine a gathering of larger egos than the one we saw Saturday, with Jones, Owens and the player's omnipresent agent, Drew Rosenhaus, taking center stage.)

"The thing about playing for Bill is he makes everything so simple. It's just cut-and-dried," Bledsoe said. "I'm sure he's already had conversations with T.O. about this is what I expect, this is how we're going to do things. Look at the guys who have played for Bill, he's not asking anybody to mold themselves into a certain kind of personality. The thing that Bill always wants is players that are consistent, he knows what he's going to get out of them week in and week out. If you give him that, you can have your personality."

Third, even with Terry Glenn on the other side and Jason Witten over the middle, Owens will get his catches. Though Bledsoe owns a lower career completion percentage (57.3) than either Garcia (60.9) or McNabb (58.4), he's the best pure passer of the three. He'll hit Owens accurately, on time and in the right spot.

So there's a good chance we won't see as much of Owens's histrionics in Dallas. Not that it would bother Bledsoe much anyway.

"I'm just going to establish right from the start: Hey, I don't need all the noise and all that stuff. You come to me and give me honest information and I'm going to get you the ball," Bledsoe said. "Give me something to use for the next play. I'll make sure he knows that I'm always focused on the next play and not the last play. The noise isn't going to help us on the next play.

"I'm going to give him his respect and listen to what he has to say. But he's going to know going in that all the noise is not going to get him the ball more. What's going to get him the ball more is honest information. That's all I need."

Bledsoe has plenty of experience, certainly more than McNabb before Owens arrived in Philadelphia, dealing with demanding diva receivers (which has become a bit of a redundant term). Consider Glenn, who was Bledsoe's teammate with the New England Patriots for years before they reunited in Dallas. In Buffalo, Bledsoe had to deal with Eric Moulds. Most recently Keyshawn Johnson, with whom, Bledsoe says, he had a better relationship than their well-publicized sideline altercation last season -- "that was literally over in about 30 seconds," Bledsoe said -- might have led most people (including yours truly) to believe.

"You can talk to the guys I've played with, if they were open and I didn't see them for some reason, I'm honest with them," Bledsoe said. "Sorry man, I didn't see you. I'll get you the next time. I'm honest about it and if they're honest with me, we never had a problem.

"There may be an episode here or there that comes up, but I just don't see [Owens' presence] being a distraction the way it was in the past. Maybe that's a naïve way to approach it."

The Cowboys didn't consult Bledsoe before signing Owens, but "I would have signed off on it in a heartbeat," he said.

"Listen man. I'm going into Year 14. I want to win. This is a guy that's going to help us win right now."

Bledsoe was being sincere, not politically correct. If you're curious about his immediate reaction to the news that the Cowboys had added Owens, ask his buddy Damon Huard, who was with him when Bledsoe got the word and who called his brother, Brock, and told him how psyched Bledsoe was.

Bledsoe is willing to give T.O. the benefit of the doubt because he isn't taking the word of ESPN or Sports Illustrated or sports talk radio. He isn't judging Owens on what he saw or heard from him or read about him. Instead, he's taking the word of buddies who have played with Owens, who've seen his legendary work ethic, the way he approaches practice, how he and the guys play cards in the locker room. Of course, the numbers speak for themselves.

When Bledsoe and Owens spoke Monday, it was mostly small talk, according to the quarterback. Bledsoe said he could hear in Owens' voice how excited he was and told him the feeling was mutual. Owens shared his upcoming schedule and told Bledsoe when he would be in Dallas so that they could connect. They exchanged numbers. He told Bledsoe that he was looking forward to playing with a proven pocket passer (one who is 3,557 yards from passing Fran Tarkenton for fifth place all time). The call was a pleasant surprise to Bledsoe, who said he'd planned to touch base with T.O. either later that night or Tuesday.

"Is there a part of it that's risky? Yeah," Bledsoe acknowledged. "The guy acts up, he can cause problems, particularly with all the attention that's paid to him. But it is it a risk worth taking? I think it definitely is. The reward is well worth the risk.

"I may be going into it a little bit naïve. I just think it's going to be a great thing for everybody involved."

Initially I didn't think so. I doubted how well Owens and Bledsoe would mesh. I've since been convinced otherwise. Then again, maybe I'm like Bledsoe. Maybe I'm being naïve.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Contact him here

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
If anything TO will be in awe of Bledsoe's gritty veteran leadership and long range sniper rifle a.k.a. Drew's throwing arm....

TO will be in Drew's face all right.......every time he catches a TD he will be wondering why he couldn't have had a stud QB like Drew throwing the ball to him like that his whole career! :bow: :bow: :bow:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
but no media confrontations until McNabb said they didn't need TO to get to the SB, therefore they didn't need hiim in the SB.
No, you say something like, "Yea, TO is a great WR, he brings a lot to the offense, but he's not here now so we all have to step up and get it done."

You don't say, "we don't need TO, we won before he got here and we can win without him."

At least not in my opinion.