I've also thought it was stupid to look down on a conference champ that loses the SB

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The 49ers this year, the Eagles last year, the Bengals the year before that were all conference champs who came up short in the Super Bowl. That means that they did better than 30 other teams. Of course, losing the Super Bowl always sucks. There's no way that that won't hurt if it's your team. Of course that's true. However, facts are facts, and a conference champ has performed way, way better than whichever team has the leagues worst record. Fans act like if you lose the SB, you might as well have gone 0 and 17, or you might as well have not made the playoffs. This is just nonsense. The last three teams to lose the Super Bowl played good, close games. (And I hate giving the Eagles any credit, but it's a fact that they did well.) I remember when the 49ers Super Bowl record was 5 and 0, and some goony 9er fan said that was better than our 5 and 3 SB record. I explained that that meant we had three more conference championships than they had, which was a good thing. Now their SB record is identical to ours. I'd bet that 9er fan would see the light now that it's his team with that record.
Losing the Super Bowl sucks for any fan. However, it doesn't mean that their team is crappy.

kwcool619

Reaction score
The 49ers this year, the Eagles last year, the Bengals the year before that were all conference champs who came up short in the Super Bowl. That means that they did better than 30 other teams. Of course, losing the Super Bowl always sucks. There's no way that that won't hurt if it's your team. Of course that's true. However, facts are facts, and a conference champ has performed way, way better than whichever team has the leagues worst record. Fans act like if you lose the SB, you might as well have gone 0 and 17, or you might as well have not made the playoffs. This is just nonsense. The last three teams to lose the Super Bowl played good, close games. (And I hate giving the Eagles any credit, but it's a fact that they did well.) I remember when the 49ers Super Bowl record was 5 and 0, and some goony 9er fan said that was better than our 5 and 3 SB record. I explained that that meant we had three more conference championships than they had, which was a good thing. Now their SB record is identical to ours. I'd bet that 9er fan would see the light now that it's his team with that record.
Losing the Super Bowl sucks for any fan. However, it doesn't mean that their team is crappy.
Excellent point.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah, no one likes losing the SB. But just getting there is cause for celebration. Everybody is happy for those 2 weeks. Then someone is disappointed.

It reminds me of when MLB only allowed the 4 division winners to make the playoffs. That was cause for celebration by the cities involved. Now I'm drifting off topic. But yeah, I'd love to just get there for those 2 weeks. Then stress over the game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
teams that lose the SB are like rodney dangerfield, they dont get no respect !