Jabba The Hut OG/OT Georgia

Reaction score
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/NickelPackage/profiles/MaxJeanGilles.htm

Strengths
Max is a big, strong, powerful kid. He has good feet, so he does very well blocking in the pass game. He loves to block in the running game and because of his size, he's dominating. He shows some leadership skills, plays hard on every down and has good mental toughness. At the next level, he has the talent to play a few different positions on the O-line. He could play right or left guard and possibly, right tackle.

Needs to Improve
Max has to lose weight. When he's in his passing crouch, he looks like Jabba the Hutt. If he loses weight, he'll be a lot quicker and make a lot more money. Right now, he might not be quick enough to handle more than one position and if he keeps gaining weight, he'll eat his way out of the league.

Bottom Line
Max has excellent talent to be a Pro Bowl O-lineman at the next level. I just think that a player that has problems controlling his weight in college will have more problems controlling it when you hand them a trunk full of money. For me personally, I’m not falling for these overweight, extremely talented O-linemen in the draft any longer. Let someone else draft them and deal with all the problems. Although Max is a big kid and will always be a big kid, he has to realize that at the college level, his weight is a positive. However, at the next level, too much weight becomes a negative. It robs the player of his quickness out of his stance. Players will be more prone to shoulder injuries and torn biceps. If Max gets himself down to the 320-lb range, he'll be a hell of an O-lineman. If he stays at 340 lbs or more, it will give him nothing but problems. It's a shame because he's another player that is very mature in his football techniques and could easily start for a team his first year in the league.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
If Max falls to us, I would be all for getting him.

Think of it, his only problem is overeating. Parcells got some people to lose weight at TC, so he could do it with MJG.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Sometimes I think hiring a full time nutritionist and a full time food detective would be easily worth the salaries for the teams, hehe.

Reading this article, remember how much weight Petiti lost last year before and during training camp. He lost at least 40 pounds. Petiti was above 360 (probably closer to 380 i'd bet). He worked his can off literally and figuratively, but coming from someone who is a gym regular, losing that much weight saps your strength although it helps your movement a ton. Takes a year or two to get college guys to adapt their bodies to NFL standards. In highschool and college now 300 pounders abound but they aren't necessarily strong. They just want huge heavy bodies.

I love Petiti's attitude last year. Say what you want, but he has the attitude and dedication to succeed. Now if this Giles guy has the same plus all that talent, draft him. Do your homework on him in interviews and put weight restrictions and workout bonuses/clauses in his contract. Just make the clauses have bite. Too many incentive and disincentive clauses are too weak to really matter to a bunch of players.

Larry

burmafrd

Reaction score
Actually I think 320 might be too light for GIlles. He is really big boned- I think 330-340 is closer for him.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Actually I think 320 might be too light for GIlles. He is really big boned- I think 330-340 is closer for him.

I agree- he has a large frame, is tall, and can carry the weight. Though, looking at him, he looks more like he weighs 380 than 340.

ghst187

Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:
I love Petiti's attitude last year. Say what you want, but he has the attitude and dedication to succeed. Now if this Giles guy has the same plus all that talent, draft him. Do your homework on him in interviews and put weight restrictions and workout bonuses/clauses in his contract. Just make the clauses have bite. Too many incentive and disincentive clauses are too weak to really matter to a bunch of players.
Larry

I agree on Pettiti, I still think he'll be a good player. I think it'll be year 3 when he becomes a reliable starter.
I agree on Jabba the Hut too, however, it seems like we may not necessarily want gigantic OL though. Seems like the entire league wants more agility in their OL, sure helps when you want to run a lot of screens and sweeps.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

Absolutely, agree totally. Whats funny is when I watched his combine workouts, Max "appeared" to be ripped and in great shape for a man his size. He had a solid workout at the combine, and I came away feeling that he had really helped himself, and would possibly be a late first rounder.
Regardless of his wieght issues, I can guarntee you that if he did become a Cowboy, BP would run his big azz off early and steady in camp.
Gilles is a haus, and I could see him stepping in and anchoring the left guard for years.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we're looking at another kid with weight issues, we have to start thinking beyond the Parcells era. Also you need to decide what offense you'll be running, if you plan on running outside at all, you need to have people who can get there.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
If Max falls to us, I would be all for getting him.

Think of it, his only problem is overeating. Parcells got some people to lose weight at TC, so he could do it with MJG.

falls to us where? in the first rd? at 18?

as a UGA guy that sees almost all their games, this guy isnt worth a first rd pick, let alone ours at 18...no interior OL is worth that high a pick

David

Eskimo

Reaction score
A guy that young with this big of a weight problem who wasn't sufficiently motivated by the draft and the combine to get in better shape is going to have big problems keeping his weight in check as he ages. The prime examples of Fonoti and Aaron Gibson come to mind. Heck even Vince Wilfork got in shape before the draft (lost about 30 pounds) before balooning up over this first couple of years in NE.

We would be wise to stay away from him early in the draft. We could consider him if he is there in the late second round.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
I agree- he has a large frame, is tall, and can carry the weight. Though, looking at him, he looks more like he weighs 380 than 340.

and reportedly he's been over 380 on some occassions...they say he weights 343 right now, thats probably the lowest he's weighed in years

David

conner01

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
the kid has'nt been 320 since the 5th grade, he will be 360 by the time he gets to camp. nice second rnd pick, not worth an 18

burmafrd

Reaction score
I agree that he is a second rdr; very few guards are ever worth a first.
But having researched him some, just about every scout service has him as either the first or second ranked guard- with very little separation between him and Spencer. I think Gilles has more power and strength, while Spencer has more quickness- there are some that think that Spencer could make a good RT. I think he is not quite quick enough for tackle. Both are guards meant for a power attack- definitly not zone blocking guys. If BP is looking at going in that direction- and it seems certainly possible- then anyone he drafts now will have more emphasis on quickness.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
falls to us where? in the first rd? at 18?

as a UGA guy that sees almost all their games, this guy isnt worth a first rd pick, let alone ours at 18...no interior OL is worth that high a pick

David

Yeah, while I wouldn't mind having him in the second, I'd be majorly disappointed if we picked him at 18.