Jacksonville's Free safety Deon Grant is expected to be on the block

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
The Jaguars are not expected to use their franchise tag this offseason.

Free safety Deon Grant is Jacksonville's best player whose contract is up and he appears likely to depart. Gerald Sensabaugh, who finished out last season starting at strong safety, is a candidate to replace him.

Source: jaguars.com
Related: Gerald Sensabaugh

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I'd rather this then waste a draft pick like a lot of people seem to wanna do.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
When a player is "on the block" they mean the trading block. This guy is going to be a free agent.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Let Watkins play. Gotta let our young guys figure it out. I think one of the worst mistakes Parcells made last year was benching Watkins. It was as if he didn't know the rookie would make huge mistakes. As if Killa was going to be any better. It's like damn, are we always just going to get a free agent to fix a problem.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1370905 said:
When a player is "on the block" they mean the trading block. This guy is going to be a free agent.

He is mostly-like going to be on the street...looking for a job.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Here's the scouting report on him from 2006 from Scouts Inc.

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 73 | Key
Alert: None

Comment:
Grant has good size, strength and experience. He is competitive and tough. He has some range and play speed. He has good recognition and key-and-diagnose skills, enhancing his range in deep zones. He anticipates well and covers ground quickly with his long stride. He closes forward quickly in underneath zones and looks to reroute crossing routes by keeping his hands low. He has above-average man-to-man skills and is effective against tight ends. He is an aggressive and willing insert player against the run. He has good range and is a solid tackler. But Grant doesn't make as many plays as he should. He has average hands and ball skills. He doesn't always transition quickly or judge the ball correctly. He needs to take better angles and stay under control in space. He could improve his ability to bring down ball carriers on the second level.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
BlueStar22;1370906 said:
Let Watkins play. Gotta let our young guys figure it out. I think one of the worst mistakes Parcells made last year was benching Watkins. It was as if he didn't know the rookie would make huge mistakes. As if Killa was going to be any better. It's like damn, are we always just going to get a free agent to fix a problem.

I agree, Watkins will be just fine I think. He needed to mature a little bit and towards the end of the season I think that he had. With another TC and preseason under his belt I think he should be go to go as the starter next year.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Future 585;1370915 said:
I agree, Watkins will be just fine I think. He needed to mature a little bit and towards the end of the season I think that he had. With another TC and preseason under his belt I think he should be go to go as the starter next year.

see sig ;)