News: Jason Garrett afraid to offer Jason Witten a day off

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 29, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett would probably offer veteran tight end Jason Witten a day off in camp.

But he doesn’t want to be shunned again, so he doesn’t bother.

Garrett said the 31-year-old tight end wouldn’t speak to him last year, after a play was drawn up which called for a different tight end to put himself in harm’s way.

According to Carlos Mendez of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Witten was miffed when a play called “Aggie 21” was put in.

Read the rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rrett-afraid-to-offer-jason-witten-a-day-off/

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Original article: FWST: Why doesn't Jason Witten get a 'veteran day off'? Garrett refers you to the 'Aggie 21' story

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett told a Jason Witten story at his press conference Sunday. It’s one of his favorite things to do – tell stories about the eight-time Pro Bowl tight end who refuses to take a day off.

He told this one in response to a question about why Witten doesn’t get a “veteran rest day” like other players.

“We were playing Tampa a few years ago in the opener. We liked this ‘wham’ play. A wham play is when you take a tight end or a fullback or somebody and you wham the nose tackle – you let the lineman go up to the next level and you try to surprise the defense by taking this other guy to block this defensive lineman.

“We thought one of our tight ends, Martellus Bennett, would be very good at this. Big, strong physical guy. He’d be a great whammer.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-you-to-the-aggie-21-story.html#storylink=cpy

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I love Jason Witten. This is just yet another example of why he's absolutely my favorite player on the Cowboys and my second favorite player all-time.

I wish this team has 53 guys with that kind of mind set and drive.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Witten is the ultimate football warrior and still my favorite current player.

The first thing that came to me after reading this is a modified version of a short exchange between Sgt. Powell and Chief Robinson in Die Hard:

Garrett: Any time you wanna take a day off, Witt, you consider yourself dismissed.

Witten: No sir. You couldn't drag me away.

That's Witten.