Video: Jason Garrett Saturday Press Conference

Bluefin

Reaction score
Video | Jason Garrett Saturday Presser

James Hana hurt knee, day to day, should be out a few days, same for Gus Johnson

Good to ease the injured running backs back in during the walk through

Darren McFadden has missed a lot, hasn't practiced much since joining team, but he's a veteran player, smart player, very engaged, good understanding of system and what we want him to do, rehabbing hard, excited to see him out there these next few days

Competition is really good for your team, competing for roster spots and roles is good for players, typically brings out the best in them, try to do that throughout your football team

Doug Free will do something in individual today, hopefully feel good with that and maybe do something more as practice goes on, anticipate getting more work as these days progress

Good and bad with Darrion Weems, played a lot, not everything was his fault, some plays weren't run correctly, needs to protect better, good work for him, kept fighting, kept scratching, good opportunity and he will grow and benefit from it

Greg Hardy didn't play a lot, you see how he plays and how you play matters, it's the way he practices, practices very hard, whatever we ask him to do, he goes 100 MPH, he did that in the game, plays with the right spirit and right mentality

La'el Collins, like with Weems, did some good things and other things he has to improve upon, with young players, playing helps them, the area it helps the most in playing decisively, the more they see the different looks, particularly true for OL (moving fronts, constant communication with teammates), come off ball together, reach assignment, sometime they slow down in games and don't play decisively or aggressively because they're thinking too much

La'el did a good job fighting through that, he played physically, made some aggressive mistakes, wasn't always on right guy doing it right way, but it was aggressive, it was hard, it was physical, had some highlight plays where he got to second level and knocked guy to the ground, you like that demeanor, that physicality but a lot of room for improvement for him just like with a lot of the young guys

Practicing the Rams will be great, create competition, going against another team will raise the level of competition, it's just human nature, we saw that in the San Diego game and we'll see it out here on Monday and Tuesday, make sure it's about football, a lot of stuff can happen, make sure your team stays focused, it can get a little chippy when you're just practicing against your own players, sometimes things get escalated in these practices, important for coaches and players to handle things the right way and stay focused on what's important, that's getting better as a team

You talk to other coaches about parameters, hopefully each side understands the rate we're going at and what we want from each drill, handle it the right way, communication is huge, be clear what each side wants, get on the same page

Laughing at question, still not happy with turnovers, poor tackling and not scoring on offense, a lot of other things we're also unhappy about but there were some positives as well, you look at it (game tape) from a team standpoint, unit standpoint and individual standpoint, you can point to positives in each of those areas and you can point to things where we all have to get better

There can be a feeling like the veterans have everything down and this is all about the young guys, that's really not the case, this is about coaching everybody and making sure everybody is playing at the right pace, right tempo, at the right level, we'll make sure to get that done, it's positive reinforcement for good plays and negative reinforcement for bad plays, what our expectations and standards are

There are a number of phases in training camp, look at the schedule, each stretch between days off and it builds up, now look at the first two weeks as a phase, now on to next phase, this is a great opportunity, played Thursday night, don't play again until next Sunday, now we dig in and have training camp and work hard, great opportunity to get better as a team, dig cleats into the ground and get back in training camp mode

Q: Did you invite the Rams?

Nah, they were just going to storm the gates (laughing), of course we invited them (continues laughing), we've had conversations about this for 4-5 months, they were going to be out here to play the Raiders, do you want to come down and practice with us?, always looking for chances to do that if the schedule works out with another team

Don't know Tony Romo's schedule for Rams practices, he will be out there today

/end

Last edited:

Bluefin

Reaction score
Mid-Day Report: Hanna, Johnson to Miss Some Time; 3 RBs Worked Out

Tight end James Hanna sustained a sprained knee in the game. Jason Garrett said Hanna’s status is “day-to-day” but word around camp is the fourth-year tight end could miss as many as two weeks.

Running back Gus Johnson will also be “day-to-day” after sustaining a shoulder injury. Johnson’s initial assessment was a sprained AC joint in his left shoulder. He not only started the game against the Chargers, but played deep into the third quarter before the setback.

Cornerback Orlando Scandrick is expected to practice Saturday evening, after participating in the morning walk-through. Scandrick has battled through soreness in knee, keeping him out of the preseason opener.

Dez Bryant is not expected to practice over the “next couple of days,” said Garrett.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluefin

Reaction score
Kyle Wilber took second team MLB snaps in front of Jasper Brinkley yesterday.

Mickey Spagnola saw Darrion Weems before practice with ice packs on both shoulders. Weems, Tyron Smith and Doug Free were all held out of team drills, meaning the top four OTs (Chaz Green on Active/PUP) weren't practicing.

And the coaches still haven't given La'el Collins any work at RT yet in training camp, he did get a few reps yesterday at RG (first I've heard of that).

Zack Martin got some second team snaps at C, which has happened before, he's also never gotten a look outside at tackle since joining the team.

Ken Bishop replaced Davon Coleman as the first team NT yesterday (Nick Hayden and Terrell McClain sat out). I saw a report last week that also had Bishop as the top reserve for the bottom of the diamond on the kick return team, where McClain plays when not injured.

Being able to play special teams, even as a first alternate, will strengthen Bishop's chances of making the roster.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kyle Wilber took second team MLB snaps in front of Jasper Brinkley yesterday.

Mickey Spagnola saw Darrion Weems before practice with ice packs on both shoulders. Weems, Tyron Smith and Doug Free were all held out of team drills, meaning the top four OTs (Chaz Green on Active/PUP) weren't practicing.

And the coaches still haven't given La'el Collins any work at RT yet in training camp, he did get a few reps yesterday at RG (first I've heard of that).

Zack Martin got some second team snaps at C, which has happened before, he's also never gotten a look outside at tackle since joining the team.

Ken Bishop replaced Davon Coleman as the first team NT yesterday (Nick Hayden and Terrell McClain sat out). I saw a report last week that also had Bishop as the top reserve for the bottom of the diamond on the kick return team, where McClain plays when not injured.

Being able to play special teams, even as a first alternate, will strengthen Bishop's chances of making the roster.

Very interesting with Wilber at MLB. I don't think he has ever played/practice MLB or WLB. He has always been SLB or DE since they moved to the 4-3.

Brinkley did not look good in the game. He was moving around OK, but was just out of position and whiffed on tackles.

I want Bishop to make the team. I think he could push Hayden for playing time.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Very interesting with Wilber at MLB. I don't think he has ever played/practice MLB or WLB. He has always been SLB or DE since they moved to the 4-3.

I definitely didn't see this one coming.

But it makes sense to try any combination on LBs during training camp to see what might work if hit by injuries. Kyle Wilber is a core better special teams player who can also play DE in a pinch.

Jasper Brinkley is strictly a MLB and is not a core special teams player.

I want Bishop to make the team. I think he could push Hayden for playing time.

I'm really pulling for both Ken Bishop and Davon Coleman to make the team.

I have no problem going long on the DT, but it will probably be tough to do so with so many DEs that can slide inside to DT on passing downs.

You've mentioned Rod Marinelli wanting his NT to move down the line and get to the outside on perimeter runs and I definitely remember Bishop getting in on a tackle Thursday night by doing exactly that.

And I've really liked what I've seen from Coleman as a pass rusher in the Training Camp Live videos, he also opened up the hole for Damien Wilson on his third down TFL against the Chargers.

I want to keep these guys.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Excited about the Rams coming in for practice. Coaches will have a first hand look at their defensive depth. Might come in handy during cut downs if we are looking to upgrade or add depth.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Excited about the Rams coming in for practice. Coaches will have a first hand look at their defensive depth. Might come in handy during cut downs if we are looking to upgrade or add depth.

I'm very much looking forward to watching Training Camp Live on Monday and Tuesday.

The pass rush drills featuring our OL vs their DL should be awesome (though Tyron Smith and Doug Free might be held out from taking reps).

Bluefin

Reaction score
BTB offered up some grades for the Chargers pre-season game.

Davon Coleman received an A.

On a third and short play, rookie Damien Wilson shot the A-gap and made a great tackle on Brandon Oliver for a loss, forcing the Chargers to punt. But on this play, Davon Coleman did a great job at the 1-tech taking on two offensive linemen. This opened up the hole for Wilson to make the play. And that wasn't the only play he helped make a rookie teammate look good. Coleman took out the left tackle allowing Randy Gregory to push inside and get his first ever NFL sack.

"We ran it perfectly. He set it up perfectly for me. I give him a lot of credit." -Randy Gregory

You got to love that the rookie gives credit to his teammate. Good job, coach Garrett.

He also had a tackle of his own behind the line of scrimmage as he was able to shed his blocker and tackle rookie RB,Dreamius Smithfor a loss.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Working against the Rams gives the coaches a chance to look at Tre up close and personal. If they fall in love with him a deal could happen.

Bluefin

Reaction score

Video | Jerry Jones On The Running Game; Practicing Against The Rams

Jerry Jones speaks with the media following Saturday's practice.

Got a lot of work done today, good practice, good crowd, got some good, physical work done today, a lot of work in the running game, all the parts to the running game, got some good, physical work in, I know that was the intention, I thought they did a good job today

(pre-season game) really pleased with the QBs, Weeden would be the first one to want that lost snap back, it was a shame because he was doing well, hanging in there real good, they have an old adage in scouting/coaching that if you see them do it, and you see them do it 2-3 times then you know they can do it, now will they do it a lot?

When you saw Dustin Vaughan move his feet, buy time for a 6-5 guy, then raise up there, make a play, throw the ball, got the arm, you saw some things out there that gave you some "stick 'em" as far as staying with him on his development as a QB

Today was a good start for Darren McFadden, we'll work him in the rest of the week while being very guarded as to how we bring him along, good news is he is in great shape and they really spent a lot of time on that aspect getting him ready to go, they felt he was in good shape relative to any of his soft tissue injuries, but we'll be real careful, we've got a big investment in terms of time in getting him in football playing shape, so they'll move that along, I thing we had nine running backs (including FBs) out there today, I hope we got enough reps for all of them

Excited to see RB competition (Randle and Run DMC)?

I think we'll see it, I haven't worried about it because I felt we were going to see it, have an opportunity to see it, at the right places, this is as good a time as any, this is a good week, we'll take a good look at these backs, see a little of Lance Dunbar this week, it looks like, because he was out here participating, as far as I'm concerned, we're right on schedule as far having a back or backs ready to go against the New York Giants, I'm not in any way anxious, in any way, we basically practiced the running game, or we practiced the physical aspect of it, it takes a lot of players to make the running game work, not just the back

No interest in veteran runners (Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, those guys)?

I don't want to, for them, those are questions that are always hard to answer, because you ask about somebody, you don't show an interest and it means you aren't interested, that just shouldn't the case, the facts are, I've felt all along that we've got a great opportunity with Dunbar, certainly with Randle, and with McFadden, we've got a great opportunity, if we can keep those guys healthy, as we go into the meat of our pre-season, see some good work from them in the pre-season games, and we get to evaluate the backs, you know we've had months and months and months to evaluate these guys and the prospects of playing with them, so you can't get nervous now

Good test to go against the Rams in practice, I've always enjoyed practicing against another team, we I think of it, I remember my first practice with another team was walking right out on this field, drove up from Thousand Oaks and Al Davis was standing here to greet us, the Raiders were right here, he had this thing blocked off like Sing Sing, high green walls to keep anyone from seeing the practice fields, of course at 1-15 for the year, we didn't have much to expose out here at the time, but the bottom line was, that was work against another team and I thought, boy, I like this about pro football, being able to have a practice against another jersey

Darrion Weems has a lot of work to do, to be fair, he did move over to LT for the game and he's been doing most of his work at RT, that's a big deal, to move, especially for game time, and so I'm going to give him some slack there as far as how he played, on the other hand, he'd be the first to tell you to do, (Q: Is he healthy?) Yes

I saw La'el Collins' assessment, I was impressed with his assessment, he liked some of the things that he got a chance to do, but he said he has a lot of work, he knows the kind of competition that he will play against, that he played against the other night, and he knows he's got a lot of work to really start feeling good about himself, but I thought he really showed the things that you can see from a player at the college level, and that is, he just looked like a grown man out there, and that's first and foremost what you want to see, I wouldn't want to take that one back for him, but he'll be the first to tell you he's got a lot of work to do

Q: Would you like to get past these Rams practices before you unleash Dez Bryant again?

Well, I don't know that, we've got to make sure that we understand what our celebration rules are (grinning, gets a chuckle from reporter), no, seriously, there's a lot of me that likes Dez right where he is right now, he's really working on his conditioning, I noticed how hard they had him working out here before the practice, I like that, I don't think we're missing anything, Dez wants to be out here and it's probably killing him not to be making plays, I know it is, but for our perspective, that's working about where we want it to be, and I don't thin in any way, we're going to be behind or limited as to Dez's preparation, the way it's working right now against, all the way up until we play the Giants

My goal is,1) do what we can to avoid key injuries, number one, 2) let's get some of this early decisions made, relative to some of the players we won't have early this season, let's get some decisions made how we're going to handle that, relative to who we have or don't have available, 3) I know he have the time to get the work in to get the team ready to go, and technically get the plays down, I like what we're doing offensively in terms of what we're planning to run, where we are as far as installing that, how we're going to work that as far as next games are concerned tells me we are going to be ready for the Giants

So, in order, keep working, be smart about these injuries, be smart about how we push a player to work through an injury, make sure that any players we have out here, that we really do make sure those guys are in shape and ready and don't get them out here too soon

I don't think the Rams coming to practice her has any impact on interest in them and where they are playing, I don't think that at all, what I do think is they have such a traditional visibility and a traditional following here in southern California, that's the main positive they have, that, and they've got a great owner and a great franchise, it's a good thing for the NFL to have these teams with these qualifications they have thinking about this LA market

I think if Rolando McClain could play, relative to being eligible, I think if he could play, his health is at a situation where we could have him ready to play against the Giants, so I think he's working towards that and conducting his conditioning and rehab as though he could play if he were eligible, I don't think it's necessary to see him in a pre-season game, not in his case, the kinds of things we want to see from him are basically, we know what he can do, and that has not been diminished in terms of him being physically able to do, so you say why do you have pre-season?, but in his case, just get in really good shape, get a plan in shape so he can be mentally prepared when we start having him in meetings during the regular season, when he's coming back

I don't have any comment on the Greg Hardy situation, as far as communication there, as far as I'm concerned, that's still in the hands of the commissioner

I think getting a team back in LA will enhance the Cowboys presence in Oxnard because it creates more excitement, create more fan involvement and that'll be a plus for the interest in the Cowboys being out here, too, we're really proud of our great legacy we've got here and the years we have, in a way, invested in the Southern California fans, and so more football, during the season football, more during the season direct interest in the teams that would be here, makes this an even better place for the Cowboys to come have pre-season, (Q: Can you practice here?) I know of no reason why we can't, we have no reasons at all, as a matter of fact we have a very good plan in place that allows us to do what we want to do, and are looking forward to do in Frisco as well as doing it in other places as well

There is no mile radius as far as a team practicing in LA and the Cowboys being in Oxnard

/end

Bluefin

Reaction score
Video | Garrett: Preparing For The Rams; Tyron Smith Injury
Head Coach Jason Garrett speaks with the media on Sunday from Oxnard, CA.

We anticipate Tony Romo doing something today, as the day unfolds, if that changes, you guys will be the first to know, but we do anticipate him practicing

Yeah, we anticipate him doing that work (Rams practices), but again, this is all adjustable based on how Tony, and really how all the other guys feel, we try to, we do this day by day, really almost hour by hour, as to what their availability is and how much work they're going to get each day in practice

Q: Do you treat these practices almost like a mini pre-season game because you do have another team on the field with you or do you feel it's more like a practice?

Oh, it's a practice, there's no question about that, but it's competitive, we'll work our offense against their defense on one field and vice versa on the other field, it's a great opportunity for us to get work, it will be competitive, there will be competitive situations, and there will be a lot of situational work, we'll do red zone, we'll do 2 minute, if we have the numbers right we'll do a little bit of a scrimmage with the younger guys, like we do at the end of the Blue-White scrimmage we have every year

So, it'll be that kind of a feel to it, a lot of situational work, but we want it to be competitive and I think they do, too

Q: Walk-thrus will be separate?

Correct

Q: Like you say, you coordinate with them, what will the emphasis be on Monday? And then what will you work on Tuesday?

Really what we just talked about, there will be red zone stuff, there will be 2 minute stuff in each of those days

One on one is always an interesting thing in these practices, you know oftentimes you're going against your guys, the WRs vs the DBs, the TEs vs the safeties, and obviously the pass rush stuff as well, it's always fun to have your guys go against their guys in the one on one format, it's a great way to evaluate your players and really see how you stack up

Q: What kind of test is it for your depth here, you didn't have your top 3 OTs yesterday, how did John Wetzel and R.J. Dill do?

It's a really good test, and you've heard me say this a number of times, injuries provide opportunity and there's great stories on our team and teams around the league for a long, long time where someone got hurt, someone else came in and got a chance, maybe a chance they wouldn't have gotten if someone didn't get hurt, and they show you they can play

And so that's the opportunity that some of these guys have, and like you said, a little thin on the OL, both OTs were out yesterday, so we got a chance to see Wetzel play, got a chance to see R.J. Dill play, Gibson, Weems was in and out of practice yesterday, so all those guys will get chances and really it's a great chance for us to evaluate them

Q: Will Tyron Smith and Doug Free also be limited in the Rams part of practice?

We'll see, we'll take it day by day, we're still focused on Sunday, this is an important practice for us today, working against our own guys before we get in to the next couple of days against the Rams

Q: With Tyron, is a strain a partial tear? What's the definition of a strain?

I'm not the person to ask that question, but I know he does have a little strain there, he's about the toughest guy I've ever been around, so if he can practice, he'll practice, but we'll take it day by day with him and hopefully get him back out there soon

Q: Tyler Patmon, last year, he was obviously just fighting for a roster spot, is it more a battle this year for him to be in the rotation? Is he kind of upgraded to that point, where it's more about where he's going to be on the team rather than whether?

Well, I think with everybody it starts with a roster spot, and there are some guys obviously practicing out here that we have a pretty good feel are going to make our team, but we got a lot of DBs back there and we have to figure out which of those guys is worthy to make our team, and then you start to figure out where you want to put them

And Patmon's off to a really good start in training camp, he has a lot of good traits, he can play outside, he can play inside, he has a feistiness to him, he has some playmaking ability to him, we like what he's all about

Q: Did you know he had that feistiness before that little battle with Dez?

Oh, yeah, he's a great story and you've heard me say this before, he was a tryout guy at rookie mini-camp, he wasn't a signed college free agent, and he came in here and about halfway through the first practice, we looked at each other and we said (pointing), we like that guy, and you start figuring out ways, OK he's better than that one who we signed, so let's get rid of him, let's give this guy a chance, so he's had that feistiness, he's had those playmaking traits really from day 1 since he's been with us, and I think he's just getting better and better

Q: How will Geoff Swaim's opportunities change in James Hanna's absence?

He'll have more of them

Q: Different kinds?

Really just more of them, those guys have a variety of opportunities every day, those TEs play Y in a two back, two receiver set, they play Y or F in a two TE set, we have 3TE sets, we put them next to the tackle, we open them up, we motion them into the backfield, so that position for us is one where having some versatility provides great value, and it starts with Witten, he's able to do all those things that we ask him to do at a really high level, but we ask those other guys to do the same thing, so Swaim will get every chance to do that with the ones, with the twos and at times he'll be there with the threes, so he'll get a lot of chances to play here the next few days

Q: Was he one of those guys you didn't want to let get to undrafted free agency, you felt enough about him?

Yeah, absolutely, I think for a couple of reasons, we liked him a lot as a player, as a person, felt like he fit our profile of what we're looking for, the right kind of guy, but also that position is one where there isn't a lot of guys who come out of college these days who can play the true TE spot, who can put their hand on the ground and do what we ask them to do, and also open up and do some of the things out in space that we want them to do as well, so he fit a lot of that, and because they're kind of a rare commodity these days, we felt like there was value there to make sure we drafted him and we're glad we did

Q: Because of that, the hand on the ground stuff with Gavin Escobar, have you had to be more patient than you normally would have maybe with a 2nd round pick? He didn't have a lot of that experience?

Oh, absolutely, but Gavin's arch has a lot to do with the guy that's our starting TE, he's pretty good, you know, so it's hard to get those reps when Jason Witten is in front of you, and we recognize that, it's hard for James Hanna to get those reps, and to a certain extent it's hard for Swaim to get those reps

Witten is good, he plays every snap, he's played every snap for a long, long time around here

So Gavin's role is a little bit different, he's a guy who naturally catches the ball very well, I think we saw that the other night in the game, we've really seen it since he's been here, and he's getting better at the other things, he's gotten a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger, I think his technique is getting better, he's learning how to bend, he's competing better as a blocker, so he's really developed a great deal since we drafted him, and we like his progress

/end

CCBoy

Reaction score
After a shaky start to the off season, this sounds so good:

Greg Hardy didn't play a lot, you see how he plays and how you play matters, it's the way he practices, practices very hard, whatever we ask him to do, he goes 100 MPH, he did that in the game, plays with the right spirit and right mentality