Jason Hatcher: Is this a fair assessment

MACHIAVELLI

Reaction score
Speaking of the youngsters, we saw a lot from guys like Carp, Pat Watkins, and Pat McQuistan, and I thought of the rookies, Jason Hatcher looked the strongest. We've heard so much of his lanky, speed-type rushing style out of camp, but it took this game for me to realize how truly strong this man is. For the duration of the second half, Hatcher was simply bull rushing the Seahawks' left guard and tackle, and they had no answer for him. Watching his feet was fascinating - they are on this constant motor, and he breaks into this short shuffle before he uses his speed burst to get ahead of his man. His technique was nearly flawless for this stage in his career, and lets face it - even against second and third team offensive linemen, the guy just made them look silly. And when he did decide bust out the moves, he was in on a fumble.
http://blog.dallascowboys.com/blogs/roundup/archive/2006/8/1 3/8397.aspx

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
walter jones was matched up against hatch most of the 2nd quarter and i thought hatch more than held his own... and walter is the best LT in football by far.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Teague31 said:
walter jones was matched up against hatch most of the 2nd quarter and i thought hatch more than held his own... and walter is the best LT in football by far.

Orlando Pace might have something to say about that

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
MACHIAVELLI said:
Speaking of the youngsters, we saw a lot from guys like Carp, Pat Watkins, and Pat McQuistan, and I thought of the rookies, Jason Hatcher looked the strongest. We've heard so much of his lanky, speed-type rushing style out of camp, but it took this game for me to realize how truly strong this man is. For the duration of the second half, Hatcher was simply bull rushing the Seahawks' left guard and tackle, and they had no answer for him. Watching his feet was fascinating - they are on this constant motor, and he breaks into this short shuffle before he uses his speed burst to get ahead of his man. His technique was nearly flawless for this stage in his career, and lets face it - even against second and third team offensive linemen, the guy just made them look silly. And when he did decide bust out the moves, he was in on a fumble.

good read:bow:

MONT17

Reaction score
Hatch did nothing with Walter Jones... if he owned the 2cd and 3rd team players then good for him!!!

2much2soon

Reaction score
Hatcher(if I was seeing the right guy) didn't look long and lanky as I had heard. His upper body looked huge. Like he had already spent a year or two in an NFL strength program.
Maybe I was seeing the wrong player but I sure thought the guy's jersey said Hatcher on it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure who made the observation on this board, but they basically said Hatcher was good at rushing the passer, but he needs to work on playing the run. Not sure how that translated into the Seattle game.

Just observed him in the Seattle game replay bull rush a guy...and put some nice pressure on the QB. But I can't say I've seen alot as I've focused on other players during this game. Next game I will.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think whoever wrote the analysis in the OP is a little optimistic. I just watched the replay again watching Hatcher. He looked fine but not spectacular -- he got some pressure on a few plays, but got pushed back on some plays as well.

renny

Reaction score
or Jonathon Ogden (spelling) Ravens

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
renny said:
or Jonathon Ogden (spelling) Ravens
Walter Jones is EASILY better than Ogden, and I think most will agree that he is a step above Pace at this point in their respective careers.

And actually, I agree with what was being said about Hatcher. I watched him against Jones and he drove Walt back into the QB on more than one occasion. I was impressed.

MACHIAVELLI

Reaction score
Hatcher was all too familiar with Seattle. He returned to the stadium that some feel put him on the NFL radar. Grambling St played Wash. St on Sept. 17th, 2005.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
theogt said:
I think whoever wrote the analysis in the OP is a little optimistic. I just watched the replay again watching Hatcher. He looked fine but not spectacular -- he got some pressure on a few plays, but got pushed back on some plays as well.

I'll take "fine" in his first pre season game --shows the upside could be huge

Reaction score
I watched it just now. He looked really good. Not dominate but what do you expect? What were some of you looking for. The competition he faced last season and Walter Jones are worlds apart. I love the upside and he'll gain another 15+ pounds and be that more effective

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Teague31 said:
Going against McQ in practice everyday prepared him for Jones. :D ;)

Seriously, isn't it great to finally have some talented depth on the team so that even the backups aren't completely overwhelmed when they have to play against good players?

NorthDalal

Reaction score
MACHIAVELLI said:

This is a head-scratcher. Gregg Ellis was excellent. Kenyon Coleman held his own on the run game.The run defense was generally solid, team defense preventing Alexander from cutting back or turning corners.. was good not great, on a handful of plays early. Hatcher was pretty invisible.

Late, against subs Pepper Johnson and Glymph looked active.

Otherwise typical 1st pre-season extravaganza.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
We may have gotten a steal in the 3rd rd.....Ireland is awesome!

plus Watkins in the 5th round... all signs point to him having a fantastic TC... McQ looks pretty solid as well. I'm stoked about 2006.

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
NorthDalal said:
This is a head-scratcher. Gregg Ellis was excellent. Kenyon Coleman held his own on the run game.The run defense was generally solid, team defense preventing Alexander from cutting back or turning corners.. was good not great, on a handful of plays early. Hatcher was pretty invisible.

Late, against subs Pepper Johnson and Glymph looked active.

Otherwise typical 1st pre-season extravaganza.
He said of the rookies, Hatcher looked the strongest.