Jay Glazer top 20 available free agents list

RS12

Reaction score
Flozell, Julius Jones and Crayton all made it. Personally I'd rather have Ken Hamlin than any of them back.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Wow. It must be a really crappy free agency season.

Edit: Let me get this straight. Crayton and Julius were on the list but Hamlin wasn't? Two mediocre backups make it but a pro bowler doesn't?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point I don't consider any player a free agent until free agency officially begins.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Not sure I would consider Crayton just a mediocre back-up....not superstar caliber, but very solid. He's had the best hands on the team (arguable of course with Witten, and to his credit this year, TO has been solid too) and moves the chains. I'd try hard to keep him AND Hamlin.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
trueblue1687;1849272 said:
Not sure I would consider Crayton just a mediocre back-up....not superstar caliber, but very solid. He's had the best hands on the team (arguable of course with Witten, and to his credit this year, TO has been solid too) and moves the chains. I'd try hard to keep him AND Hamlin.
Mediocre #2. Fantastic #3.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Top 20 free agents: Colts' Sanders No. 1
by Jay Glazer

December means a portion of the nation's fans begin to ramp up readying for their team's playoff run. But the rest of the nation is left to sit and dream about next season. What kind of moves will their teams make in the off-season so they aren't left out in the cold come December 2008?

In an attempt to help out those ever-faithful and their abounding optimism that '07 was simply a fluke, I've compiled a list of the top 20 unrestricted free agents on the open market. Some will get the dreaded franchise tag, while others will re-up with their teams. But still, despite the constant stream of players willing to re-up before their contracts expire, this year's list is surprisingly deep — at least in the top 20 or so.

The following list also does not count restricted free agents such as Browns QB Derek Anderson, nor does it include those who will become free if their teams reject paying a roster or option bonus. This list consists of players slated to be UFAs or who can void their current deals by having already hit certain incentives.

1. Colts safety Bob Sanders — A bona fide difference-maker and game-changer. Sanders is a big play waiting to happen and earlier this year seemed a lock for Defensive Player of the Year. During last year's Super Bowl run, Indy's defense couldn't stop a nose from running ... until Sanders returned from injury. Suddenly, they were a totally different ballclub. For teams unable to land him, the Giants' Gibril Wilson, Dallas' Ken Hamlin and Patriots' Eugene Wilson would add immediate impact at the safety position.

2. Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen — Pass rushers are at a premium in this league and Allen has been virtually unstoppable this year. Missed two games early due to DWIs but has cleaned up his act. He says he hasn't had a drink in over a year and adamantly insists he has zero desire to ever have another drink again. Young up-and-coming pass rushers get paid in this league and Allen is on his way to a major check cashing.

3. Patriots WR Randy Moss — Maybe he's not the right fit for every team out there, but when he does find a fit he's proven to be unstoppable. Moss has been the most explosive offensive weapon in the NFL this season and it's hard to imagine the Patriots will not roll out the green carpet of cash for him. By the way, his WR mate Donte Stallworth has a huge $6 million bonus due this off-season that will likely cause the Pats to either re-do him as well or set him free. The rest of this year's WRs available are far from great but they have some bright prospects like Jerry Porter, Patrick Crayton, Bernard Berrian and Devery Henderson.

4. Steelers OG Alan Faneca — The best offensive lineman available via free agency, Faneca can play all over the line and has the leadership and attitude 32 out of 32 coaches would give their left arm to have. They may have to (plus sell a few other limbs) to come up with the cash that will land this stud. The offensive line as a whole is weak in this year's UFA class. Old vets like Larry Allen and Ruben Brown will be available and a guy like Miami's Rex Hadnot can play center or guard.

5. Patriots corner Asante Samuel — Like pass rushers, there's a premium on cover corners in this league and in a solid group available, Samuel is the best of the bunch. Unlike some cover corners, he's also solid against the run and is never afraid to deliver a blow. The Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha and Seattle's Marcus Trufant round out a great top three. Considering what Nate Clements made last off-season, this trio should be about to hit a whole different financial world. Brian Kelly adds to this list.

6. Titans DT Albert Haynesworth — This may be a little high because of character concerns but actually a little low when talking about talent. Haynesworth has been a wrecking crew this year and when he was hurt, those around him clearly suffered.

7. Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha — Because of his talent, potential and position he moves up the list and resides in our top 10.

8. Bears LB Lance Briggs — The best LB on the open market. He's a perfect fit for a Tampa-Two defense but has the speed, athleticism and smarts to play in any system. Briggs is an explosive player, loved in the locker room and would provide an instant burst to any defense. Overall the linebackers in the open market are weak.

9. Ravens LB/DE Terrell Suggs — Remember what we said about pass rushers? Suggs is a proven commodity when it comes to making the life of a QB miserable.

10. Dallas OT Flozell Adams — Teams need solid tackles to protect against guys like Allen and Suggs, and Adams is the best on the list. A perennial Pro Bowler, Adams always seems like he should be more dominant but he's still more than solid. The lack of offensive line talent in the free-agent market has pushed him up our list.

11. Colts TE Dallas Clark — A solid weapon in the Colts offense, Clark is not a conventional tight end, which means he doesn't fit every system. However, in the systems he does fit in, he can cause fits for defensive schemes. The ultimate cover-2 buster, he'd be a huge loss to the Colts if he bolted. The Eagles' L.J. Smith is the best of the rest on this list.

12. Chargers QB Philip Rivers — Rivers is able to void his deal due to playing-time incentives he reached last year. There is a huge void of good QBs in this league and despite an inconsistent season, Rivers has shown enough to be a solid starter. Considering guys like Rex Grossman and Daunte Culpepper highlight, or lowlight, the list of UFAs at the position, Rivers' stock soars on our list.

13. Cowboys RB Julius Jones — Proven featured running backs are hard to come by for some teams.

14. Cincy DE Justin Smith — He made our list last year and despite the Bengals' struggles he's still a stud on the defensive line.

15. Seattle CB Marcus Trufant — See above talk of corners. William James and Drayton Florence add depth to this group and Denver's Dre Bly has a $9 million option which means he'll likely get cut free as well.

16. Dallas WR Patrick Crayton — He was tremendous this year filling in for the injured Terry Glenn and showed he's certainly worthy of a starting role.

17. Chargers RB Michael Turner — L.T.'s backup is held in very high regard by many personnel people throughout the league. Tennessee and Green Bay were interested him as an RFA and more should show him love as a UFA. The Browns' Jamal Lewis rounds out the RBs.

18. Giants safety Gibril Wilson — Michael Strahan once called Wilson "the best rookie I've ever played with." He wasn't a one-hit wonder and has been a very solid safety ever since. The Patriots' Eugene Wilson adds depth to this list along with the Browns' Gary Baxter.

19. Browns RB Jamal Lewis — He's shown he can still make noise, especially in cold-weather games. He's a bit older and obviously had off-field issues but he's still reliable down the stretch.

20. Eagles TE L.J. Smith — He's a young tight end who needs to stay healthy but has the talent to be a solid player for a long time.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
JJ a "proven" feature back? Have I been watching the same games as Glazer the last few years?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Natedawg44;1849297 said:
JJ a "proven" feature back? Have I been watching the same games as Glazer the last few years?
I doubt very seriously Glazer has even watched the games.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Honestly I think our "must" sign this offseason is Barber with Flozell being franchised a close 2nd. I feel better with Pat Watkins at FS than I do with Free or McQuistan at LT at this point.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Because unless you have a "hoodie" roaming the sidelines he could blow up your team.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Future;1849306 said:
How in the world is Randy Moss not #1?
Another good question is what in the world did Bob Sanders do to become such a media darling? He's the single most overhyped player in the NFL.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
If we are going to pay #2 money to a WR I hope we would get a very good one that is a borderline #1 like Jerry Porter or Bernard Berrian. I like Crayton, he seems like a nice guy, but I agree he is a mediocre #2 and can't stay healthy on top of that. I'd spend Jerry's money elsewhere.

mwj473

Reaction score
Wow !! Julius Peppers has had such a horrible season, he can't even make the top 20 FA list for next year? Kind of surprising, although he has been horrile this year.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
theogt;1849310 said:
Another good question is what in the world did Bob Sanders do to become such a media darling? He's the single most overhyped player in the NFL.

I have to seriously disagree with that statement...

He is a beast against the run and the glue for that entire Colts defense...

Plus he is a high character guy.

Did you see the complete turnaround that defense made last year through the playoffs??

That FA list is not in number of importance obviously. Just a list of 20 of the best.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
I want Nnamdi Asomugha even though it's a pipe dream. He probably won't even touch the market but he has only been thrown at 27 times this year that's insane.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1849219 said:
At this point I don't consider any player a free agent until free agency officially begins.

That list does not take into account who is going to be franchised.

Flo.....Nobody lets a probowl LT just walk out the door.
Rivers.....Yea, San Diego is going to let him walk, sure.
Sanders.....No way Colts let him test the waters, their D sucks without him.
Haynesworth.....Did the Titans win a game without him? Tag time for him.
Trufant......One of the best CBs in the NFL and Seattle lets him walk? Sure.

That is 5 right there that will be franchised, probably more.