Video: Jeff beat Sean Lee in the POA - Film breakdown

Blackthorn

Reaction score

Here is a breakdown of Jeff Heath beating Sean Lee to the point of attack on the Jet Sweep. Heath looks great playing in the box. He is great when we go to the nickle. His speed and recognition is amazing. It was also surprising that Lee and Jaylon misjudge the angle and speed of the receiver.

The tackle by Heath made my jaw drop with how fluid he was wrapping up the receiver and pulling the ball out. This young man has figured it out and is starting to look like the complete package.

I also love how Woods and Jaylon never quit pursuing. Woods has impressed with his hustle this pre-season. I hope it carries over into the season. This defense is extremely fast.

That is 11 guys going all out. I have noticed that on most plays this preseason.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a very poor assumption. It's quite likely Lee's responsibility on that play was to keep the runner from turning back toward the middle of the field (or tackle him if he does) and the safety's job was to tackle him or push him out of bounds if he keeps running horizontally .. which he did because of Lee.

As a runner, who would you rather hit you? A safety or a linebacker?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Let's not overanalyze. It's always great when you can get into the backfield unblocked. What made this play happen was Crawford getting push on his guy to make the runner dip back before trying to turn the corner. Lee went for the lane that Crawford created but Crawford already had it covered in case the runner came that way. Lee reacted to the runner's change of plans but an unblocked Heath cleaned up. Jaylon would have gotten there 5-6 yards later but this stop was made possible by Crawford if I'm keeping score.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's very poor assumption. It's quite likely Lee's responsibility on that play was to keep the runner from turning back toward the middle of the field (or tackle him if he does) and the safety's job was to tackle him or push him out of bounds.

I agree Lee is pursing and not allowing any cut back and knows he has Heath coming up. Defense is all about working as a unit not guys just doing their own thing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's very poor assumption. It's quite likely Lee's responsibility on that play was to keep the runner from turning back toward the middle of the field (or tackle him if he does) and the safety's job was to tackle him or push him out of bounds if he keeps running horizontally .. which he did because of Lee.

It was.

Both guys did their job.

If Lee isn’t in that gap then the runner cuts it up field and Heath never makes the play.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Lee also made a great play. He didn't over pursue his lane and gravitated to the ball. But also, a very good play by Heath.

aikemirv

Reaction score
That's very poor assumption. It's quite likely Lee's responsibility on that play was to keep the runner from turning back toward the middle of the field (or tackle him if he does) and the safety's job was to tackle him or push him out of bounds if he keeps running horizontally .. which he did because of Lee.

Yeah, It’s not like Heath had a free run and Lee had to negotiate some traffic or anything as well.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I'm with everyone on Lee in trail position to keep field shape.

The overall shape of their dfence was textbook perfect as they ran the runner east/west for minimal gain. Great play by the entire defence on that side.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Here is a breakdown of Jeff Heath beating Sean Lee to the point of attack on the Jet Sweep. Heath looks great playing in the box. He is great when we go to the nickle. His speed and recognition is amazing. It was also surprising that Lee and Jaylon misjudge the angle and speed of the receiver.

The tackle by Heath made my jaw drop with how fluid he was wrapping up the receiver and pulling the ball out. This young man has figured it out and is starting to look like the complete package.

I also love how Woods and Jaylon never quit pursuing. Woods has impressed with his hustle this pre-season. I hope it carries over into the season. This defense is extremely fast.

That is 11 guys going all out. I have noticed that on most plays this preseason.

Ironically, he didnt beat Lee to anything. Lee was way ahead on the play and forced the guy outside, which Heath was in position to make the tackle. Talk about nothing. LOL

This is what we are reduced to? Hailing a guy for being in the right position on one play? Sad

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Jeez man every post I read it's just *****ing and complaining. I get on these forums occasionally as a get away from the woman in my life who ironically is just *****ing and complaining but it's just more of the same. Now look at me...*****ing and complaining about the *****ing and complaining. What a world we live in.

Heath's the GOAT btw.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Absolutely/ Lee keeps the runner from going verticle so Heath can make the tackle.

pacboyX

Reaction score
I mean everybody played the lanes they were supposed to. Lee beat blocker, Heath filled gap, Byron contained outside, Smith had good depth and rolled over good just in case he got through Heath and Lee, meanwhile Woods came down in timely manner. Good play on back half of defense.

sbark

Reaction score
It wasn't long ago nearly everyone hated Heath and wanted to cut him. They predicted disaster if was an every down player. How times have changed.
Wait a week....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Good that Heath's recognition has improved for run defense, but I still don't like him in the box for coverage. And I'm a fan.