Jerry has both the Midas and Sidam touch

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know the “King Midas” story. Everything he touched turned to gold. But have you ever heard of the “Sidam touch”? It is essentially the opposite of the “Midas touch”. The Sidam touch is the ability to screw up any and everything at all times.

Jerry Jones has both. Let me explain.

When JJ bought the team in 1989, he paid $140 million for America’s team. And as he constantly reminds us, it was losing money like a leaky ship when he arrived. He has turned the $140 million investment into a $5 billion dollar gold mine. When it comes to making money on football, Jerry has the “Midas touch”. He is a true genius at marketing and turning a profit. And the rest of the NFL has recognized that by naming him to the NFL HOF.

If Jerry had stopped there, he would be a great owner. But sadly, somehow he thinks he’s a football genius too. But in reality, when it comes to the on the field football product, Jerry has “The Sidam touch”. Mediocre at best. Evidence is simply the last 22 years and counting.

But don’t take my word for it. Look at how Jerry’s former head coaches since Jimmy left in ‘94 have fared in the NFL after leaving Dallas.

Of all the former Cowboys head coaches Jerry has hired since Jimmy Johnson, only the lackluster Chan Gailey has ever been hired again as an NFL HEAD COACH. (And that was by Buffalo) Just go through the list:

1. Barry Switzer- 1994-97. Retired. Hasn’t coached in NFL since.

2. Chan Gailey- 1998-99- was hired as HC at Buffalo, 2010-12. Hired ten years after he left the Cowboys.

3. Dave Campo- 2000-2002- never hired again as an NFL head coach.

4. Bill Parcells- 2003-2006- retired from coaching.

5. Wade Phillips- 2007-2010- still a defensive coordinator; never hired again as an NFL HC.

6. Jason Garrett- 2010-? Who knows how many years Jerry gives his “personal Tom Landry” to make this team anything beyond mediocre.

Either way, based on history, the odds aren’t great that another NFL team wants to make a former HC who has worked under the “leadership” of GM Jerry. “The Sidam touch”?

When it comes to making money, everything Jerry Jones touches turns to gold. When it comes to putting a winner on the field that can win in the playoffs, seemingly everything Jerry Jones touches turns to mediocrity.

But don’t try and tell Jerry that. Because he just will smile that snake oil sales smile and show you his “stayjum” and his his $5 billion dollar bank account. While we wait for some playoff wins we haven’t seen for 22 years and counting.

T-RO

Reaction score
We all know the “King Midas” story. Everything he touched turned to gold. But have you ever heard of the “Sidam touch”? It is essentially the opposite of the “Midas touch”. The Sidam touch is the ability to screw up any and everything at all times.

When JJ bought the team in 1989, he paid $140 million for America’s team. And as he constantly reminds us, it was losing money like a leaky ship when he arrived. He has turned the $140 million investment into a $5 billion dollar gold mine. When it comes to making money on football, Jerry has the “Midas touch”. He is a true genius at marketing and turning a profit. And the rest of the NFL has recognized that by naming him to the NFL HOF.

If Jerry had stopped there, he would be a great owner. But sadly, somehow he thinks he’s a football genius too. But in reality, when it comes to the on the field football product, Jerry has “The Sidam touch”. Mediocre at best. Evidence is simply the last 22 years and counting.

But don’t take my word for it. Look at how Jerry’s former head coaches since Jimmy left in ‘94 have fared in the NFL after leaving Dallas.

Of all the former Cowboys head coaches Jerry has hired since Jimmy Johnson, only the lackluster Chan Gailey has ever been hired again as an NFL HEAD COACH. (And that was by Buffalo) Just go through the list:

2. Chan Gailey- 1998-99- was hired as HC at Buffalo, 2010-12. Hired ten years after he left the Cowboys.

5. Wade Phillips- 2007-2010- still a defensive coordinator; never hired again as an NFL HC.

6. Jason Garrett- 2010-? Who knows how many years Jerry gives his “personal Tom Landry” to make this team anything beyond mediocre.

Either way, based on history, the odds aren’t great that another NFL team wants to make a former HC who has worked under the “leadership” of GM Jerry. “The Sidam touch”?

When it comes to making money, everything Jerry Jones touches turns to gold. When it comes to putting a winner on the field that can win in the playoffs, seemingly everything Jerry Jones touches turns to mediocrity.

But don’t try and tell Jerry that. Because he just will smile that snake oil sales smile and show you his “stayjum” and his his $5 billion dollar bank account. While we wait for some playoff wins we haven’t seen for 22 years and counting.

What this list shows is how...
-Jerry likes older guys near retirement
-Jerry likes low-charisma, low-resume guys for HC that won’t threaten his authority or spotlight

ArtClink

Reaction score

Well if the refs had called Dez's catch a catch (and they should have), then what are the odds that Aaron freakin' Rodgers, the greatest 2-min drill QB of all time would have got the Packers in position for a gm winning field goal when there was still almost 5 minutes on the clock?

But your point is well taken about Booger. Any thoughts that Jerry had anything to do w building a championship team (clearly Jimmy built those teams that won 3 rings) other than signing checks has been answered in the past 22 seasons.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well if the refs had called Dez's catch a catch (and they should have), then what are the odds that Aaron freakin' Rodgers, the greatest 2-min drill QB of all time would have got the Packers in position for a gm winning field goal when there was still almost 5 minutes on the clock?

But your point is well taken about Booger. Any thoughts that Jerry had anything to do w building a championship team (clearly Jimmy built those teams that won 3 rings) other than signing checks has been answered in the past 22 seasons.
The more things change in the rest of the NFL, the more they stay the same with Jerry, the most stubborn GM when it comes to letting the results on the field determine the team’s football direction.

I honestly can’t think of another sports organization that would continue to repeat the same thing over and over, apparently hoping for the “blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut” theory or that wildcatters will get lucky eventually. If JJ wasn’t rich, we would all think he was a joke.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The more things change in the rest of the NFL, the more they stay the same with Jerry, the most stubborn GM when it comes to letting the results on the field determine the team’s football direction.

I honestly can’t think of another sports organization that would continue to repeat the same thing over and over, apparently hoping for the “blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut” theory or that wildcatters will get lucky eventually. If JJ wasn’t rich, we would all think he was a joke.
What's worse is the entire world that follows the NFL, knows the Cowboys will never advance as long as JJ is the GM. And that my friend, is very sad. "Stubborn" is putting it mildly.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's worse is the entire world that follows the NFL, knows the Cowboys will never advance as long as JJ is the GM. And that my friend, is very sad. "Stubborn" is putting it mildly.
I have a relative who is a Filly fan. He has said for years that beagles fans seriously LOVE Jerry Jones. They honestly believe as long as he’s in charge, the ‘Boys will be repeating the last 22 years.

ArtClink

Reaction score
No accountability at the gm slot and a lifetime appointment = 2 wild card wins better than the Browns the past 22 years.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I have a relative who is a Filly fan. He has said for years that beagles fans seriously LOVE Jerry Jones. They honestly believe as long as he’s in charge, the ‘Boys will be repeating the last 22 years.
Lol. That's absolutely true. Living in Egals country is a nightmare especially after them finally winning the SB. That's all I've ever heard, how much they love Jerry. Because with him running the show, they have a chance every season. No argument there.

HH6Rz8x.jpg
Look at this ridiculous haul truck I seen the other day. They have Wentz included when he's never even played in post season. All you hear is our SB champs this, our SB champs that. February 2019 can't come soon enough for another team to be crowned. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No accountability at the gm slot and a lifetime appointment = 2 wild card wins better than the Browns the past 22 years.
But every time Jerry gets dinged for lack of success, he points to his stayjum and his bank account. Like that supposed to make the fans feel better.