Jerry Jones PC Coming Up On The Ticket

PosterChild

Reaction score
Jerry says value was at RB and CB and used trades to get value there. WR position had know value. I think we all knew that...

Choice is one of the most complete backs and the price was right. You need 3 backs.

igtmfo

Reaction score
I think Jerry said they got 2 of the 5 guys they were excited about on the second day ....

Too much beer today to do a transcript. ....

OK I'll try ...

-Jerry: "Wasn't a year to reach for a receiver. As we would go down, the Stanbacks and Jeffersons there, the potential wasn't there (picks to be better than them) ..

In the third round, thought there would have been an OL there that would have excited there (but wasn't)

(Question): A backup quarterback? "Why not a rookie for us?

-Wade: Rookie wouldn't be ready to backup and play, even Romo wouldn't (then).

Even if we got a QB early (in draft), he's a backup. Say you develop him and you get a third? round pick for him in two years (in a trade) .... What about FA QBs out there? We've got one (Romo) ... there are veteran backups out there (we might go get ... that are better than any late pick/UDFA)

-Jerry (I think): "If Romo goes down, and Brad Johnson is nicked, do you want a rookie there? The rookie gives you no chance. To be candid, there's a consideration that you want two veterans behind Romo ..."

-Wade: Corners play earlier than other positions. Our fourth corner has played (for me) every year that I've coached. Jacque and Nate were lost.

Strength in the draft was there (RB). Our guys (picks) were (more?) comparable than any teams that took players in that area.

Return ability? "Shows you what kind of athlete your getting. A positive."

-Jerry: Felix? "A career (?), Mendenhall would be a 3 down back. But Felix carrying the load? Don't dismiss it. We've thought if Barber is out ... we've drafted another guy today who can carry long at that position, we kept looking for him (Choice) for a long time, down, down the draft there he still was. ... Felix Jones is stronger than anyone under 235 pounds. Better build than a 3rd down back or limited carry back.

-Wade: "Felix isn't a third down, scat back, he's stronger (than that) ..."

Question about defense?: Jerry: "We've got some playmakers .....Zach.

-Jerry: "When we went into draft, no rose colored glasses that we would do great on receivers. Nor an offense lineman .... that wasn't too high priced to pay, that would be the starter. So what could we do that WAS a starting-type player? Running back and corner. That was the realistic thing. We didn't think any TE would walk in and could be a (starting?) TE. I think a little more development needed with Bennett than you will need with the RBs and CBs.

I don't think we'd come in here realistically to get a safety to beat out a guy that we've got.

... Hamlin. Joined us after the draft last year (so may be another safety to come?) ... WR: It's not that the younger receivers we've got or Glenn, that it's impossible for us to pull one out of the hat "on campus" from what we've got on the team (Stanback/Hurd/Jefferson may be the backup receiver to stand out this year... ?)

Jerry on Ciskowski. "Outstanding. Tom was more involved in making the board than given the credit for the last few years. He was in charge last year. He's as smart as can be. Knows these players. Making sure that the board is as much about these scouts as he can make it. Ciskowski gets good grade. Combine, grades, info weeks between ... I think about other things during the day (not the draft that is). Boy, with Ciskowski, everything is succinct (during the draft), boy, his presentation of each player is great. Glad to have him.

(missed next Q_)

-Wade on Walden: He had turf toe last year. Big fast guy, real physical. Can compete. Can't help but be impressed vs. LSU etc. on one leg and what he did.

(OK I give up, time for another beer ..... whoops can't quit writing) ..

Wade: It's a 3 WR league. To compete you need 4-5 corners. Safety: we lost 3 DBs from last years team. Possibility you could wind up with more (?) ...

Jerry's solidified OL, I think DL is good, we didn't draft any.

Wade keeps going on Scandrick: He's versatile, ran great at combine. Said to us he's going to run 4.3, and he did. Confidence. A junior.

-Jerry: Scandrick is up there, we kept looking, looking at him, and starting to trade for picks next year (anyway). There was Scandrick again. Jumped up and got him. It's like going to Las Vegas with your kids tuition. The other guy with no kids, he's just cutting and shooting (??? you do better than the guy who's betting too much ???).

About drafting: In previous years when he had lots of extra picks .... you get Charles Haley (we dealt those picks to get him). You can look crafty when you got lots of picks. Today, we have a team, (so we can) push back picks to the next year. A very healthy way to acquire picks.

-Stephen: We just take value, not need. Sam Hurd, Austin were up there in Cowboys 6th round few years ago, and got them anyway in UDFA. Don't overdo to get those players, if you can get them (later?) ...

-Jerry: "Zach Thomas, uniqueness, competitiveness. Pacman, skills. And, if we have healthy corners ... frankly. After last season, I didn't think after dust settled that we would improve the defense. A plus (that we did anyway....).

On offense, signing Flozell was a BIG deal, it figured in how we went about this draft frankly on OL.

These RBs, etc., we've improved our team. Ideally we could find another Terrell to put on the other side of Terrell on WR (but no way ..)

-Stephen: re: UDFA: "Numbers for each position, we're trying to get those, to take to camp. But though we didn't need another RB in UDFA (but was on our board) ... we would still try to sign him (despite our new RB numbers) ... to take to camp ...

OK, I tried ... time to go to refrigerator ..

AlterEgo

Reaction score
That was a great recap. The only thing missing was the "uh, uh, uh".