Video: Jerry Jones. The Inflexible GM. In His Own Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The video below is a closer look at how Jerry Jones sees himself as Dallas' general manager. It combines three videos from over a decade ago. Nothing he does suggests his mentality and football management approach has changed since these interviews. It can shed better insight into his football managerial strategies, like 'all in'.

Some people will remember seeing these interviews before but my focus is emphasizing how his brain (and enormous ego) ticks. The interview segments are:

0:00 - 1:18 Tim MacMahon's November 2012 interview (the defiance was palpable when questioned about his available football management alternatives)
1:19 - 9:13 Scott Pelley October 2013 interview (a retrospective into how his thinking and personal motivations were constructed over time)
9:14 - 9:33 Jan Crawford November 2013 interview (a more concise, standardize response to the GM question)

Special credit to @yimyammer for posting the MacMahon interview many moons ago. At least I think it is yimyammer. Not sure anyone else could think up that name. :)

The complete videos can be viewed by clicking the names: MacMahon, Pelley, Crawford

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Jerry only said he was 'all in' because he knew the fans were going to be pissed after the Green Bay disaster and would be calling for his head. Damage control - that's all it was.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry only said he was 'all in' because he knew the fans were going to be pissed after the Green Bay disaster and would be calling for his head. Damage control - that's all it was.
Damage control is a natural reaction for a narcissist.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not true. You got sucked as Parcells would say. Jones was talking about signing his own free agents. Paying the money they’re about to pay is going All In in his mind. And financially, he’s correct.

Jerryrage

Reaction score
I might be the odd one here, but I respect the guy even more. What a story of the American Dream.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
“All In “‘IMO meant for his Stars ; Dak, Lamb and Parsons.

Meaning he was still All In on this core of stars not wanting to start over with a rebuild.

Im not sure why many interpreted it differently.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not true. You got sucked as Parcells would say. Jones was talking about signing his own free agents. Paying the money they’re about to pay is going All In in his mind. And financially, he’s correct.
Im not sure he’s correct but you have it right this was his intention with “ All In”. He still believes in this team.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“All In “‘IMO meant for his Stars ; Dak, Lamb and Parsons.

Meaning he was still All In on this core of stars not wanting to start over with a rebuild.

Im not sure why many interpreted it differently.
In your opinion, how did Jones managed his way into a situation which has forced him into this tactic for maintaining this core of stars and avoid a rebuild?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In your opinion, how did Jones managed his way into a situation which has forced him into this tactic for maintaining this core of stars and avoid a rebuild?
I’d argue he still feels this team which has won 12 games 3 consecutive seasons can contend. And he obviously still believes in Prescott.

In his mind just because of an embarrassing playoff performance it’s not warranted for a rebuild.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I might be the odd one here, but I respect the guy even more. What a story of the American Dream.
It is not odd to look at his financial accomplishments as the American Dream come true. He succeeded in that fashion via his business decisions as an NFL owner.

That is not the thread's focus. It is his lack of accomplishments in football management after Jimmy Johnson's influence had vanished that should be considered. It is his inflexibility as general manager and the reasons why he maintains a death grip on the position over affairs on the field that is the focus.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d argue he still feels this team which has won 12 games 3 consecutive seasons can contend. And he obviously still believes in Prescott.

In his mind just because of an embarrassing playoff performance it’s not warranted for a rebuild.
I would agree. Here is another question:

Do you believe another general manager or owner would necessarily agree with Jones' action assessment?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is not odd to look at his financial accomplishments as the American Dream come true. He succeeded in that fashion via his business decisions as an NFL owner.

That is not the thread's focus. It is his lack of accomplishments in football management after Jimmy Johnson's influence had vanished that should be considered. It is his inflexibility as general manager and the reasons why he maintains a death grip on the position over affairs on the field that is the focus.
Yea , I’m not sure it’s worth responding to. The screen name alone scared me. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would agree. Here is another question:

Do you believe another general manager or owner would necessarily agree with Jones' action assessment?
It’s tough to say because in many ways our bed has already been made. And you have to sleep in it .

Not many teams are dumping their Franchise QB because of a pitiful playoff performance. And if his value is still high in FA then that would tell us we probably should continue to try and build around him hoping it’s enough we finally break thru .

The alternatives aren’t as promising starting over. But having said that I’d continue looking or drafting for a heir apparent. Either he or Dak could be used as trade bait. What the Packers have done this era would be a good model to follow at QB.

But if you’re going to buy in to retain him at his price then you have to consider not paying a WR 1. A top paid QB probably can’t afford a top paid WR1. Again the draft is a better answer replacing that level of talent at WR.

You have to have a GM who looks beyond each season and plans ahead always looking at your weaknesses and optimizing your strengths .

Jethro too often only plays for one season at a time . That’s basically all he can hype and promote at a time and then he does damage control afterwards looking for scapegoats if needed.

He has to be more pro active addressing these weaknesses before we all see it. It’s like we are always trying to catch up shoring up these problem areas after the fact .

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we aren’t sold on Dak we should have already drafted a heir apparent and been grooming for him to take over like Packers did with Love and Rodgers .

Then it’s a much more calculated risk and a total rebuild or starting over isn’t necessary . And it makes it much easier to sign these other top stats .

Status
Not open for further replies.