CFZ Jerry's age is a factor

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I was accused of ageism when I used Jerry's age to describe him while making a point. For the record, my father is 81, and there are things he is doing now that he did not used to do (for better or worse) because of his AGE!! Not sure why factoring age into the equation is looked down upon,

Anyway, doing something drastic is just not something Jerry is going to do because of his age. Sticking with certain situations too long is also because of his age. (see Jason Garrett, who Jerry promised us would have his pick of jobs, who knew that included the USFL)

When you have a Trevon Diggs...Jerry see's STAR written all over it. And that is what Jerry likes...but I would trade him and take a 1st round pick before I give him 150m. That does not mean Trevon is not a good player, it just means there are too many holes on this team to pay him that kind of money. You have to keep Lamb and Micah...but you should not keep all 3. Especially when you can get a big return for Diggs. Look, the Jags moved off of Ramsey and Ramsey is better than Diggs.

Hiring someone he is unfamiliar with...hiring someone from the Walsh, Shanahann coaching tree...would be drastic. It would take him out of his comfort zone...and he is not doing that at his age. Jerry is not plugged into that coaching tree in the NFL...a lot of them are younger guys...and at his age, Jerry is simply not going to do it. There is a reason we had a Wade Phillips, Monte Kiffin, Rod Marinelli, Scott Linehan etc...that was his comfort zone. Those were the names during his "day".

We finally got someone that is from a different coaching tree in Mike McCarthy...and we don't even let him bring the Walsh style to Dallas! What was the point of bringing him in if YOU were going to tell him what offense to run? Hadn't he already tried that and failed? At his age, he does not have time try it another way. Because we are close. We just need to tweak. He "found" his guy in Kellen Moore, who was just an extension of Garret, who was just an extension of Norv, who was just an extension of Zampesee, who was just an extension of Don Coryell and basically told Mike to stay out of the way. Mike has told us he cannot weigh in on the offense because he does not know the language. How dysfunctional is this? On top of all the dysfunction and nepotism that has failed us for decades!

Again, we cannot dismiss his age and the culture that is already in place factoring in to whatever changes are going to happen this offseason. The 49ers beat us last year...and he ran it back with less talent because he thought we were close and he did not want to do anything too drastic.

He is too far down this path in life and his philosophy to turn back. I would love to be wrong...but if we do not do something bold, expect more of the same next year.

P.S. - this message was really for all the fans who thinks Jerry is in the passenger seat or the backseat.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Jerry has actually gotten better as he's aged, if we're talking about the cap era, which I argue is a totally different animal.

Jerry isn't perfect, but at least we are competitive enough to make the playoffs now that he's pushing 80, because that rarely happened when he was younger, if we're talking the salary cap era.

I'm almost positive, they have some consultants now, aside from Will McClay, who have helped them through things like Dak's injury and Cooper Rush, etcetera.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
As someone who is a little older, I'm not as good as I once was (but I'm as good once as I ever was), I think this is an absolutely valid point and you should not be criticized for saying it.

I would only hope that as Jerry faces his mortality he would give up some control to maybe get one more ring and the only coach he would possibly consider doing that for is Sean Payton but unfortunately that doesn't look like the case.

Like the captain of the Titanic, Jerry will go down with the ship and we'll all be passengers.

mardwin

Reaction score
Good thread, good points. McCarthy guy was let go yesterday, and think change may be coming...too many on staff aren't coming back.

Everything will stay the same. No different than when Garrett was stripped from his play calling duties and a bunch of assistants were let go. Not making the playoffs next year will require a hard reset. I really hope we tank hard and end up with a top 10 pick.

leeblair

Reaction score
I was accused of ageism when I used Jerry's age to describe him while making a point. For the record, my father is 81, and there are things he is doing now that he did not used to do (for better or worse) because of his AGE!! Not sure why factoring age into the equation is looked down upon,

Anyway, doing something drastic is just not something Jerry is going to do because of his age. Sticking with certain situations too long is also because of his age. (see Jason Garrett, who Jerry promised us would have his pick of jobs, who knew that included the USFL)

When you have a Trevon Diggs...Jerry see's STAR written all over it. And that is what Jerry likes...but I would trade him and take a 1st round pick before I give him 150m. That does not mean Trevon is not a good player, it just means there are too many holes on this team to pay him that kind of money. You have to keep Lamb and Micah...but you should not keep all 3. Especially when you can get a big return for Diggs. Look, the Jags moved off of Ramsey and Ramsey is better than Diggs.

Hiring someone he is unfamiliar with...hiring someone from the Walsh, Shanahann coaching tree...would be drastic. It would take him out of his comfort zone...and he is not doing that at his age. Jerry is not plugged into that coaching tree in the NFL...a lot of them are younger guys...and at his age, Jerry is simply not going to do it. There is a reason we had a Wade Phillips, Monte Kiffin, Rod Marinelli, Scott Linehan etc...that was his comfort zone. Those were the names during his "day".

We finally got someone that is from a different coaching tree in Mike McCarthy...and we don't even let him bring the Walsh style to Dallas! What was the point of bringing him in if YOU were going to tell him what offense to run? Hadn't he already tried that and failed? At his age, he does not have time try it another way. Because we are close. We just need to tweak. He "found" his guy in Kellen Moore, who was just an extension of Garret, who was just an extension of Norv, who was just an extension of Zampesee, who was just an extension of Don Coryell and basically told Mike to stay out of the way. Mike has told us he cannot weigh in on the offense because he does not know the language. How dysfunctional is this? On top of all the dysfunction and nepotism that has failed us for decades!

Again, we cannot dismiss his age and the culture that is already in place factoring in to whatever changes are going to happen this offseason. The 49ers beat us last year...and he ran it back with less talent because he thought we were close and he did not want to do anything too drastic.

He is too far down this path in life and his philosophy to turn back. I would love to be wrong...but if we do not do something bold, expect more of the same next year.

P.S. - this message was really for all the fans who thinks Jerry is in the passenger seat or the backseat.
I thought we were done when Jerry hired Jason Garrett because of Jerry's age. I knew he would try to ride it out and hoped that he could get a Super Bowl doing things his way, and would hold on too long. Not only that, Jerry makes bad contract decisions because of his feeling of being a "father" figure to his players. He lets those that get close rip him off and get big contracts they don't deserve, while letting great talent walk away because they didn't fit into his "family" image.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I don't think Jerry is changing his ways. We'll have to ride it out. Strap in.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are you going to say in 3 years? 5 years? 7 years?

Jerry isn't going anywhere. He is a curse on the fan base.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
What are you going to say in 3 years? 5 years? 7 years?

Jerry isn't going anywhere. He is a curse on the fan base.
I wonder if Jerry KNEW he would be here 7 years from now...would he change course and do something drastic. Like he did with Parcells and conceded control..which we know did not last long and he went right back to being Jerry.

I chuckle how so often people chalk it up to Jerry being Jerry when he says outlandish things...I mean he literally said that the only reason he hired Parcells was to get a stadium built. The thought of real change coming deflected attention away from him long enough to get his stadium built...I mean he will tell you,,,,you just have to listen

JBS

Reaction score
You mean the rams winning a super bowl with Ramsey as one their key players. Yeah, let’s get rid of players that will help win rings. Good plan.

Creeper

Reaction score
At 70 I can say definitely age is a problem. Just not in the way you suggest. If anything my life experiences make me better at making decisions because I have more data to process. Jerry has gotten better in some ways. The Cowboys are drafting much better than they did 20 years ago. Either Jerry has gotten smarter or he has allowed smarter people to get involved in the process. Certain things about Jerry will never change, but that is not because of age. It's because he is stubborn, certain he is right, and unaccountable. But these things have always been true.

It is also true that Jerry seems to have a lot of loyalty to his players, overpaying some of them, which is a misjudgment of their abilities. Again, not an age thing. It is just Jerry being Jerry.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
You mean the rams winning a super bowl with Ramsey as one their key players. Yeah, let’s get rid of players that will help win rings. Good plan.
you can't keep them all. I would trade Diggs for a Fletcher Cox type player ANY DAY. Jerry has never felt that way because he cannot sell/market a Fletcher Cox type player.

Who would you take...the best version of Aaron Donald or the bets version of Jalen Ramsey?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
At 70 I can say definitely age is a problem. Just not in the way you suggest. If anything my life experiences make me better at making decisions because I have more data to process. Jerry has gotten better in some ways. The Cowboys are drafting much better than they did 20 years ago. Either Jerry has gotten smarter or he has allowed smarter people to get involved in the process. Certain things about Jerry will never change, but that is not because of age. It's because he is stubborn, certain he is right, and unaccountable. But these things have always been true.

It is also true that Jerry seems to have a lot of loyalty to his players, overpaying some of them, which is a misjudgment of their abilities. Again, not an age thing. It is just Jerry being Jerry.
when I reference his age...I don't mean age is affecting his ability. Age is dictating what course of action he is willing to take. And I think that hamstrings the long term future of the organization. I don't think the long term future of the organization....as it relates to the product on the field is his primary concern. He will go out doing it his way. It has not worked for 28 years...so what harm will a few more years of it not working cause? Like I said....if he did it someone else's way...and it worked...I doubt he would be all that happy.

JBS

Reaction score
you can't keep them all. I would trade Diggs for a Fletcher Cox type player ANY DAY. Jerry has never felt that way because he cannot sell/market a Fletcher Cox type player.

Who would you take...the best version of Aaron Donald or the bets version of Jalen Ramsey?
Both. That’s how you win. Diggs is already damn good. Keep him

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Jerry could have had 2 more rings if he would have gone all-in at some point over the last decade instead of GM'ing based on his "heart". Why would he get serious now because he's starting to drool? I'm 47 and I'M terrified I'll die before we win again. Jerry is 80 and chill'n. Him worry?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

This franchise is dysfunctional in so many ways that are plainly obvious:
Owner is the GM just because he's the owner. Even after 28 failures to get us to the NFCCG
Number 2 football guy has the job just because his dad is the owner
GM has created a culture that is distracting to players with radio shows, endorsement deals and the like.
There are other things too as well.
This is not an exhaustive list.

Creeper

Reaction score
when I reference his age...I don't mean age is affecting his ability. Age is dictating what course of action he is willing to take. And I think that hamstrings the long term future of the organization. I don't think the long term future of the organization....as it relates to the product on the field is his primary concern. He will go out doing it his way. It has not worked for 28 years...so what harm will a few more years of it not working cause? Like I said....if he did it someone else's way...and it worked...I doubt he would be all that happy.
Not sure I understand, I would think an old guy worried about passing on any year now would do whatever it takes to get that Super Bowl ring. Last offseason seemed to be something other than that. I don't see him throwing caution to the wind and signing free agents to get the Cowboys tot he next level.