JG Don't Use Witt As An Excuse

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Any avid fan of Wittens (without bias) knows that the Cowboys have needed an upgrade at the TE position. Stop drafting Witten clones hoping that they will be him. DuPree and Novacek were exemplary pieces that helped bring championships to the organization. Draft a receiving TE and let him stretch the field like Jason did earlier in his career. HoH, HoF well deserved, but the time to move on has passed for our beloved Witten.

Tractor1

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe the Cowboys were unaware of Witten's plans. It's more likely the front office played some role in Jason's good fortune with ESPN.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Any avid fan of Wittens (without bias) knows that the Cowboys have needed an upgrade at the TE position. Stop drafting Witten clones hoping that they will be him. DuPree and Novacek were exemplary pieces that helped bring championships to the organization. Draft a receiving TE and let him stretch the field like Jason did earlier in his career. HoH, HoF well deserved, but the time to move on has passed for our beloved Witten.

I think we did better with that than what you had in mind. I think Schultz will prove to be very similar to Witten. He was known for being an exemplary blocker in college, but he was rarely targeted. However, when he was, he made plays. I think we got a big time steal with him in the draft.

GenoT

Reaction score
I’m not worried about JG using Witten’s retirement as an excuse; my concern is Jerry using it as one more rationalization tool in order to keep Garrett, should the 2018 season turn out to be another excercise in mediocrity.

Besides needing a new, as-yet-undeveloped TE, having all new position coaches, adjusting to life after Dez, plus whatever unknown injuries/suspensions we might incur (knock on wood) — never mind two incumbent coordinators to scapegoat — might each contribute to JG surviving all but a total Wade Phillips-level collapse.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think we did better with that than what you had in mind. I think Schultz will prove to be very similar to Witten. He was known for being an exemplary blocker in college, but he was rarely targeted. However, when he was, he made plays. I think we got a big time steal with him in the draft.

If he turns out well, fine. He should be himself and drown out any comparisons that do not apply. Make his own mark in the organization.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If he turns out well, fine. He should be himself and drown out any comparisons that do not apply. Make his own mark in the organization.

I agree, but, like I said, I think that's where Witten can be of tremendous help to Schultz if he opts to remain with the team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I personally would like a new HC and a better more creative passing game, so out with Garrett.

Garrett isn't going anywhere this year, so why not just let other topics be open to discussion without having to turn it to Garrett?

vig454

Reaction score
You guys are forgetting we just drafted a star TE in Dalton Shultz. Yes , I said it. :D