Video: Jimmy interview on The Herd, 8/4/21

erod

Reaction score
If Dak has a sore arm because of his ankle, then that ankle is far from healed.

I'm not convinced the two things are related, but it bears watching.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I liked when he disagreed with Colin about Aaron Rodgers and used Aikman as an example.

As for Dak, he may have pushed it too hard before camp and it caught up with him. We'll see, I guess.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm sure that Massimo Manca had a chuckle over Jimmy indicating that he has asthma during this interview.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Gotta love Jimmy.

"It's ridiculous for a fan to listen to anything a coach says during training camp."

"If you trade Garoppolo would you worry about dividing the team?" Jimmy, no hesitation, "not really". (ie, I'm the boss, they'll fall in line)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson seems like such a good guy. Man I wished they kept him for 3-5 years more. Who knows what he would have done.

I think the salary cap would have gotten to him, just like it kept him from repeating his success in Miami. But I also think there's a strong possibility that we would have ended up with a four-peat instead of three out of four titles before the cap picked us apart.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think the salary cap would have gotten to him, just like it kept him from repeating his success in Miami. But I also think there's a strong possibility that we would have ended up with a four-peat instead of three out of four titles before the cap picked us apart.

He was such a great talent evaluator though. They would have kept drafting well. In my opinion I think the QB saga in Miami was the cause of limited success. Nothing harder than dealing with an aging veteran. That is a coach killer.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Dak can't carry that heavy wallet around....just another reason why we shouldn't have paid him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He was such a great talent evaluator though. They would have kept drafting well. In my opinion I think the QB saga in Miami was the cause of limited success. Nothing harder than dealing with an aging veteran. That is a coach killer.

Well, it really helped that he stockpiled draft picks while in Dallas with shrewd deals like the Herschel Walker trade. We missed on a lot of those picks, but we had so many (and a lot in the early rounds) that we were able to pick up a lot of talent. It was aging out on us, though, especially with the cap allowing other teams to draw players away, so it would have been tough to stock those teams like we did in the early 1990s. It was really the right time for Johnson to be an NFL head coach. Not saying he wouldn't have had success if he'd started later in the 1990s, but the landscape changed.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

I prey that Jerry runs a better PR than blaming a lame ankle on a sore shoulder.
Lot of hate coming his way if that scenario where to be relevant.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's always a hoot listening to Jimmy and so many of the intriguing stories he has in store. I especially got a kick out of his commentary about realizing how Troy Aikman was in real danger when he got sacked nine times vs. Philly in one of their games. Those early days were tough. He also had some pretty interesting comments about his ongoing relationship with Jerry when he revealed they'll have a beer when they get together tonight. That was especially good news to hear. It sounds like they've buried the hatchet in grand style, despite their breakup! I'm picturing the both of them tipping a few beers on Jerry's yacht and reminiscing about the old glory days. ;)

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score

This is a common sentiment .. I just don't know if I agree with it. The failure in 1994 came down to injuries to Big E and Little E. The loss of Big E to the car accident hurt our rushing attack and even though Larry Allen was amazing as a rookie he was still a rookie and Emmitt took more of a beating that year culminating with the blown out hammie in the season ender and blowing out the other hammie in the NFC Championship. Now if someone can convince me that Erik Williams would have been a better driver under Jimmy and that Emmitt's hamstrings would have been too afraid of Jimmy to tear then okay.. But in reality the physical damage done by playing deep into the playoffs 4 straight years was GOING to take its toll on that team. If it didn't happen in '94 it would have happened in '95. If they won in '94 they don't pick up Deion in '95 when Pup blew out his achilles. So maybe Jimmy guides them to the title in '94 but I think the empty tank that showed up in '96 would simply have showed up a year earlier in '95.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This is a common sentiment .. I just don't know if I agree with it. The failure in 1994 came down to injuries to Big E and Little E. The loss of Big E to the car accident hurt our rushing attack and even though Larry Allen was amazing as a rookie he was still a rookie and Emmitt took more of a beating that year culminating with the blown out hammie in the season ender and blowing out the other hammie in the NFC Championship. Now if someone can convince me that Erik Williams would have been a better driver under Jimmy and that Emmitt's hamstrings would have been too afraid of Jimmy to tear then okay.. But in reality the physical damage done by playing deep into the playoffs 4 straight years was GOING to take its toll on that team. If it didn't happen in '94 it would have happened in '95. If they won in '94 they don't pick up Deion in '95 when Pup blew out his achilles. So maybe Jimmy guides them to the title in '94 but I think the empty tank that showed up in '96 would simply have showed up a year earlier in '95.

That's certainly possible. I'm also not sure they'd have been as hungry in '95, wanting redemption after the loss in San Fran.

But that game was lost by 3 turnovers in the first four minutes. I'm not sure if a Jimmy-coached team comes out that sloppy - we'll never know. It was 21-0 less than 5 minutes into the game. The Cowboys showed their mettle by fighting back within sniffing distance but that Niners team was too good to give such a head start.

NotForLong

Reaction score
That's certainly possible. I'm also not sure they'd have been as hungry in '95, wanting redemption after the loss in San Fran.

But that game was lost by 3 turnovers in the first four minutes. I'm not sure if a Jimmy-coached team comes out that sloppy - we'll never know. It was 21-0 less than 5 minutes into the game. The Cowboys showed their mettle by fighting back within sniffing distance but that Niners team was too good to give such a head start.
Don't forget the non pass interference call on Dieon at the end of the 1st half . . . that factored into the loss

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Ever think about why those three turnovers happened? We came out knowing Emmitt was well below 100% so guys came out trying to do too much. The ill advised attempt to hit Kevin Williams on a slant on the opening drive that was picked off and housed by Eric Davis.. Then Mike fumbling on a routine slant? Then the kick returner (Williams?) fumbling.. Not having Emmitt to lean on was in the guys' heads that day. I'm sure of it. I don't believe any of that happens that day if Emmitt is healthy. Especially given the condition of the field that day. It was a day tailor made for Emmitt and the o-line to grind it out .. But once you go down 21-0 that's pretty much out the window. The 49ers had 21 points on 75 yards of offense before the Cowboys finally scored. But I really think the Cowboys would have been able to overtake the 49ers in the second half after cutting it to 24-14 right before half. But some genius left Larry Brown one on one with Jerry Rice just before halftime and what should have been a 10 point game turned into a 17 point game just like that. If it stays a two score game it plays out very differently in the second half.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Don't forget the non pass interference call on Dieon at the end of the 1st half . . . that factored into the loss

That call was actually early in the 3rd quarter when the Cowboys were driving to make it 28-38. Had the call been made and the Cowboys punched it in to make it a 10 point game that early in the 3rd we might have seen a very different game the rest of the way. Emmitt finally got going in that second half after the passing game started lighting San Fran up and the Cowboys were able to dictate a lot of things offensively after that. But the score kept them from being able to stay balanced so a lot of passes (and sacks) and not nearly enough running hurt us bad.