Jobs you’ve had?

SMASHMOUTH9473

Reaction score
28 years flat, day for day.....TDCJ.
Counting my leave/time balances I'll retire with over 30 years of service at the end of June 2023.

Big_D

Reaction score
When I turned 16 I was so excited to get my working papers and start a job. It all began at the food court in the mall...needless to say the excitement wore off very quickly. That job sucked!!

After HS I moved on to carpet installation. The family business.. for all your flooring needs. I worked in the warehouse for awhile more than going out and installing. That got old really fast. Then ultimately I got into printing and been doing that for about 30 years now.

John813

Reaction score
Various retail stores in college. Worst was JCPenny
Food service as waiter/front desk/back preparing to go orders
Cold sales

Engineering. EIT to P.E.
Design Engineer to Sr. Design to V.P.

Creeper

Reaction score
Reminds me of the old mainframe in college. We used to have to schedule terminal time for a half hour at a time. It was usually pretty late at night. Programs were stored and paper role with holes punched out and if you bent it you had to start over.
Same here. We used to submit deck of punch cards, one instruction per card to the data center and they would load the decks of cards for each student one at a time. In a day or two they would put the print out in an outbox where you could pick it up. If you had any mistakes in the decks, you had to to punch a new card and resubmit the deck all over again. The machine was a PDP-10.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
My first job as scooping ice cream and burning myself on a waffle cone maker at the Back Porch of Camp Bowie in Ft. Worth. I also worked the Cowboy games at Texas Stadium with friends on game day for Colonial Cafeteria. They catered the suites so we delivered the food from the bowels of the stadium but were next to the cheerleaders. The Summer before college I waited tables at Bennigan's and then at TCU I waited tables 4 years at Don Pablos. Clerked in law school in Houston and since then its mostly been lawyer work but spent time as a wine broker/Stanford employee for athletic dept in Northern Cal when I needed a break at 32. Also worked at Dell a year and dabbled in Title work in real estate. I now am a legal recruiter....did 3 years of it in Chicago, went back to law and then came back to some buddies to still hit the market up there. That covers a lot. Really enjoying things now.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Short stint as Male stripper in a Korean owned bar in Louisiana
I lasted one song and made $5 and a few free drinks.

So I went back to my day job at the time and was a medic in the Army

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-Coat room attendant (great job)
-Dishwasher (not so great)
- Marine Infantry (0311 and 0331)
-Production operator
- Quality assurance auditor
-Quality Engineer

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Working at the car wash
Working at the car wash, yeah
Come on and sing it with me, car wash
Sing it with the feeling now, car wash, yeah
:oldcouple:

I actually worked at a car wash right out of high school. It was actually a ton of fun. Met a lot of great friends there, had a fantastic tan, and really enjoyed the summer. Got to drive some really cool cars there (a whopping 100 ft. probably lol), but I can say I've been behind the wheel of some. One afternoon I was working, I look up and saw a Ferrari coming down the wash to me. Yes!! Finally, my dream come true as a teenager, getting behind the wheel of a supercar!! As soon as it came off the conveyor rack and I went for the door, boom, the store manager steps in and says "I got this". Still bums me out. haha Finally worked my way over to the detail department and did that for awhile. Didn't pay for anything, but was honestly a fun job as a kid, plus my vehicle was always washed, waxed, and clean. :cool:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Various retail stores in college. Worst was JCPenny
Food service as waiter/front desk/back preparing to go orders
Cold sales

Engineering. EIT to P.E.
Design Engineer to Sr. Design to V.P.
My daughter worked at JCPenny on weekends and evenings during her senior year. She also hated it there. lol

ESisback

Reaction score
From 1980-2014, I worked in radio, all shifts, all formats. I met SO many people, and had countless good times, but I worked many part time job during my radio stints, as well as between. Summer jobs included 4 summers selling soda during grandstand shows at the Clearfield County Fair. Saw lots of stars for free. I also served two summers as a playground supervisor for the local school district. Several sales jobs followed—shoes at Kmart, pianos and organs at the Mall, encyclopedias door to door, and vacuum cleaners (that REALLY sucked!). I also worked two jobs as a bartender, and managed at a Hardee’s. Radio was my best job BY FAR!

How about you?
Forgot to add…

Financed college doing landscaping—weeding, planting, mowing, shoveling, sweeping, and various odd jobs for six regular clients.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I worked as department store employee and janitorial services in high school and college. Also a ski instructor and nautilus center attendant/instructor. Now I work with trouble kids but still waiting to be drafted as a kicker for some team, lol/

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Started out in the oil field and loved that kind of work. But, the oil crash of the early 80s put an end to that. I got into data processing (through the grace of God) and stayed in that until retirement. My last stint allowed me to advise project managers and help them avoid the 30 years of mistakes that I'd made.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I use to work with Dirk Diggler back in the day.

But, I'll just leave it at that. ..;)..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
First job was at a McDonalds in Arlington, TX when I was 15.

Got fired from a couple jobs as a teenager (Boston Chicken and a pet store).

Can’t think/or list off all the jobs I’ve had but I’ve worked at some tech companies in the late 90s/early 2000s (Lycos, Quote.com) as a young adult.

The things you do when you’re younger…I remember getting hired at Kinko’s and called in and quit before starting my first day. The thought of working in a copy center was just too much for me.

Took me awhile but I matured. Since finishing grad school, I’ve been working in city planning for nearly the past 10 years.