Joey Porter?

juck

Reaction score
Word is here he is going bye bye,man it would be nice to see him with a star on his uniform.

Woods

Reaction score
juckie;1389003 said:
Word is here he is going bye bye,man it would be nice to see him with a star on his uniform.

Has he been having injury problems lately?

Woods

Reaction score
I think three of the biggest questions on Defense for us heading into FA and into the Draft is (1) Where Wade wants to play Carp (ILB or OLB),(2) How much is Wade relying on Ellis for 2007, and (3) Can B. James get back on course? Of course, these questions are interrelated.

From what I gather, Carp can probably play either inside or outside. I'm not sure where he's better suited, however.

As for Ellis, I hope he comes back quickly, but I wouldn't plan my season and LB unit around him being 100% healthy.

As for James, I just don't know why he seemed to struggle last season.

I guess the problem is IF James doesn't improve and Ellis' injury takes him longer to recover, we could be in a bit of trouble.

The wildcard could be Burnett. He may be able to play inside if James struggles, and that would allow Carp to play outside.

But in any case, I wouldn't mind some better depth at LB for us.

But whether we go after a guy like Porter or A. Thomas, etc., depends to a large degree, IMO, where Wade wants to best utilize Carp and the coaching staff's medical opinion of Ellis.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Woods;1389071 said:
I think three of the biggest questions on Defense for us heading into FA and into the Draft is (1) Where Wade wants to play Carp (ILB or OLB),(2) How much is Wade relying on Ellis for 2007, and (3) Can B. James get back on course? Of course, these questions are interrelated.

From what I gather, Carp can probably play either inside or outside. I'm not sure where he's better suited, however.

As for Ellis, I hope he comes back quickly, but I wouldn't plan my season and LB unit around him being 100% healthy.

I guess the problem is IF James doesn't improve and Ellis' injury takes him longer to recover, we could be in a bit of trouble.

The wildcard could be Burnett. He may be able to play inside if James struggles, and that would allow Carp to play outside.

But whether we go after a guy like Porter or A. Thomas, etc., depends to a large degree, IMO, where Wade wants to best utilize Carp and the coaching staff's medical opinion of Ellis.

I think you are dead on

depending on what phillips thinks of burnett and carp will determine what we do in FA and the draft i think

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I need to work on my reading skills. I thought he was asking about Jerry Porter the Oakland wr. :laugh2:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Woods;1389071 said:

I agree with this completely, too.

The decision to go after a LB in either FA or early in the draft hinges on Wade Phillips outlook on:

*The Ellis injury and how effective they think he can be next season.

*Where Carpenter would play (inside or outside) and how effective could he be.

*Burnett and where he would play (inside or outside).

*Finally, Bradie James and if they think he isn't going to work anymore at ILB.

If Wade thinks that a combo of Ellis and Carpenter will be fine opposite Ware then we probably won't spend much on OLB. If Wade thinks Carpenter and Burnett will be fine opposite Ware but that James won't cut it... then we might spend for an ILB or try to move Carpenter or Burnett inside.

Who knows? There are a lot of scenarios that come into play when you look at the LB's. Carpenter and Burnett both could play inside or out, depending on how Phillips looks at it. He might even decide to play Ayodele outside opposite Ware. Ayodele played DE in college and OLB in Jacksonville, so he certainly could do it. At 6-2, 250, he has the size needed to play outside. Does he have the speed? He isn't slow, that's for sure... but only Wade will know if he has what it'll take to play SOLB in his system. Akin was a very good pass rusher at Purdue, so he might could do it. That would leave Burnett/Carpenter/Fowler/draft pick/free agent to play Akin's spot inside.

The options are many with our LB's and really the only sure thing is that Ware is our WOLB. Well, he could actually go to SOLB... but I doubt that happens.

We probably won't know until after free agency and the draft what Phillips is going to do with our LB corps... and even then we still might not know until opening day.

The bottom line though, is that I trust Phillips to get the best possible four guys to play in his system. He knows what he's doing.

mwj473

Reaction score
So nobody thinks FS is a problem area on the defense? All problems are LB related? Fixing the FS position needs to be right up there.

BLT

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1389399 said:
Somone tell me again why the Cowboys decided to give Bradie James a long-term contract?

because in his 3rd season he was almost a probowl caliber player?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Future 585;1389130 said:
I think you are dead on

depending on what phillips thinks of burnett and carp will determine what we do in FA and the draft i think

nah man our players all suck lets just go get a whole new team.

BLT

Reaction score
bigbadroy;1389430 said:
thats a joke right?

im not talking about this past year.. im talking about the year before he got the big contract.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
I would like to see Joey Porter in a Cowboys uniform but really it's unlikely to happen, the chances of getting Adalius Thomas is better than getting Joey Porter.