Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon

Bigdog

Reaction score
I know alot of us would like to get McFadden as I would too but I hope that jerry does not trade both our 1st round picks as well as other picks to move up an get him. I think this Stewart kid will be very good in the NFL. I think he is 6'0" 230 lb with 4.4-4.5 speed. He is quite shifty with some good moves and does not go down on initial contact. He made USC defense look silly today and rushed for over 100 yards on 20 carries. I would not mind having him; can catch the ball and return kicks. Also, I read in Sporting News that some scouts believe that Kevin Smith, UCF RB will be good one to watch. Anyone seen him play?

NickZepp

Reaction score
I think he's a good back but he's helped a lot by that system and having a QB that is just as good at running. I'm not sure if he'll translate as good in the NFL.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Name: Jonathan Stewart
College: Oregon Number: 28
Height: 5-11 Weight: 235
Position: RB Pos2: KR
Class/Draft Year: Jr/2009
40 Time: 4.56 40 Low: 4.49 40 High: 4.66
Projected Round: 1 Stock:
Rated number 2 out of 135 RB's 11 / 1500 TOTAL

Combine Results Pro Day Results
Combine Invite:
Height: 5112
Weight: 235
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
Wonderlic:
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

Dates:
Height: 5112
Weight: 235
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

Draft Scout Snapshot: 13 GP; 12 GS; Rush: 183-981-5.4-10; Rec: 20-144-7.2-1; KR: 23-646-28.1-0; 2nd team All-Pac 10, limited by ankle injuries and rib bruise in '06. 10 GP; 0 GS; Rush: 53-210-4-6; Rec: 7-45-6.4-1; KR: 12-404-33.7-2 in '05.

Overview

Big things were expected from one of program’s highest profile recruits in recent years and he didn’t disappoint, leading the country in kickoff returns as a true freshman (33.7 avg.). Seldom has the program benefitted from a talent at such an early age as he combines the best of size, speed and tremendous strength. Not only did he surpass school record for top power clean by a running back, his 385 lbs. during winter testing was bettered only by pair of program’s former defensive linemen now in the NFL (Haloti Ngata, Igor Olshansky). Also bested career positional bench press record (410 lbs.) while 38.5 vertical leap stands second all time. His 4.34 40 hand time ranks as school’s fourth-fastest all-time among running backs.

Has displayed exceptional intelligence to complement his natural talent, possessing knack to avoid tacklers in the open field, game-breaking speed as well as the power that makes him hard to bring down from the first hit, sometimes to a fault. Maintains the uncanny balance to fall forward when finally brought down. Also benefits from dependable hands as a receiver and utilizes great strength to develop into a very good pass blocker. Yet perhaps his greatest asset is a drive to settle for nothing but the very best. Led all rushers with 74 yards and one touchdown in the 2006 Spring Game.

2006 Season

Oregon’s rushing leader completed the year fifth in the Pac- 10 (46th nationally), second in all-purpose yardage (136.2 avg. - 17th in the country) and tops in kickoff returns (6th in the nation). Fell only 19 yards shy of becoming the program’s 11th different 1,000-yard runner as he finished fourth on the school’s one-season all-purpose yards chart (1,771 yards). The 12-game starter ran for a collegiate-best 168 yards in the season opener against Stanford in three quarters, following that up with four more games over the century mark. (Oregon was 5-0 when Stewart eclipsed the 100-yard rushing benchmark). Battling lingering ankle injuries for most of the season, accounted for back-to-back 100-yard rushing efforts vs. Oklahoma and Arizona State, and tallied four efforts over 200 all-purpose yards. Accumulated a career-high 222 all-purpose yards vs. the Cardinal, and added 221 yards while rushing for three touchdowns in the finale at Oregon State. The second-team all-conference choice was recognized as the Ducks’ offensive player of the week for his efforts against Stanford and Washington. The squad’s fifth-leading receiver of the year caught 20 passes for 144 yards, including a leaping 7-yard touchdown reception at USC. Accumulating 247 yards in kickoff returns over the course of his last two games, averaged 43.3 yards on three kickoff returns in the regular-season finale at Oregon State.

2005 Season

Wasted little time in displaying his talents as Oregon’s third-leading rusher, accumulating a season-high 47 yards in his collegiate debut as a reserve behind team’s three-year starter. Included was a 33-yard effort in which he carried would-be tacklers the final 25 yards. Returned the following week to return the opening kickoff 83 yards for a score against Montana before suffering an ankle injury that would force him to the sidelines for the next two weeks and delay a return to form for several more. Added his second kickoff return for a touchdown vs. Oregon State (97 yards) -- equalling the fourth-longest in school history -- to become the program’s first ever to return more than one kickoff to the end zone in one season. The squad’s third-leading scorer (54 points) added seven receptions for 45 yards and one TD to complete his inaugural collegiate campaign with an 8.8-yard all-purpose average and nine touchdowns despite touching the football only 72 times. Encountered his top afternoon with a single-game best 189 all-purpose yards vs. Oregon State, including 152 yards on three kickoff returns, to be honored as the Pac-10’s Special Teams Player of the Week. Also afforded a spot on the league’s all-freshman team by The Sporting News.

High School

Accumulated 7,755 yards rushing and 95 touchdowns in a career that witnessed him eclipsing the 1,000-yard barrier in each of his four high school seasons. Rushed for 2,301 yards and 32 scores his final year -- averaging 11.3 yards per carry -- in addition to returning one of three punts 91 yards into the end zone. Was placed atop the nation’s list of running back recruits on Parade magazine’s All-America team, Student Sports Hot 100 list as well as PrepStar’s Top 100 Dream Team, and he was one of five finalists for the Walter Payton Trophy, awarded to the nation’s top high school football player.

The Washington Class 3A offensive co-player of the year (WashingtonPrep.com) and state Gatorade Player-of-the-Year recipient also was named to the 2004 All-USA high school football team by USA Today, the Long Beach Press-Telegram’s Best in the West first team, the 2005 Northwest Nuggets by The Tacoma News Tribune and as an EA Sports All-American. Chosen to play in the 2005 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, was named The News Tribune’s 2004-05 High School Male Athlete of the Year.

Accumulated single-game bests of 422 yards rushing (vs. Centralia) and nine touchdowns. Was one of four running backs in the nation to earn "five-star" acclaim by Rivals.com and was ranked as this year’s 28th-best high school prospect in the country by SuperPrep. Rushed for 2,609 yards and 36 TDs as a junior to garner first-team all-state accolades by the Seattle Times and Tacoma News Tribune, as well as state 3A player-of-the-year praise by the former news organization.

Included was an eight-touchdown effort in a win over River Ridge in 2003. Gained 1,575 yards on the ground in 2002 before breaking his left ankle but hasn’t missed a game since. Placed second in last spring’s state track 100-meter championships (11.17) in addition to anchoring school’s 4x100-meter relay to a state title, utilizing physical talents of a 40 1/2-inch vertical leap as well as a 3.3 high school gpa.

Personal

Born Jonathan Creon Stewart on March 21, 1987 in Fort Lewis, Wash. Parent: Lora Faison. Family: One brother. High School (Coach): Timberline (Kevin Young) 2005.

Draft Scout Player News
11/03/07 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: The Ducks are fourth in the nation in rushing and total offense and No. 3 in scoring as they head into this week's game against Arizona State. They are No. 45 in passing, which is respectable enough. The Ducks lead the conference in rushing by almost 90 yards. RB Jonathan Stewart last week became the 11th different player to gain 1,000 yards in a season for Oregon.

10/28/07 - Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart ran for 102 yards and two scores as the Ducks knocked off USC. - USA TODAY Sports

10/27/07 - QUOTE TO NOTE: "Jonathan Stewart is a great football player. He's the No. 1 draft pick, he's an NFL prototype running back. He's big and he's fast and he runs really tough. He can catch the ball, as well." USC coach Pete Carroll on the Oregon junior running back.

10/27/07 - RB Jonathan Stewart was named Pac-10 offensive player of the week after his career game last week: 32 carries for 251 yards. It's his second league award, the first won as a special teamer in 2005. He had two of Oregon's six rushing touchdowns against Washington

10/27/07 - RB Jonathan Stewart had, in his coach's words, "general soreness" after last week's heavy workload but should be fine.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I like him alot too, there are going to be some nice backs in this draft

McFadden
Stewart
Rice
Slaton if he comes out
James Davis
Cory Boyd
that GTech RB whose name escapes me at the moment

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1742026 said:

McFadden
Stewart
Rice
Slaton if he comes out
James Davis
Cory Boyd

If Barber becomes our #1, Slanton would be a nice 3rd down type back to pair with him.

I do like Stewart, even though he's not looking great so far today.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
abersonc;1742045 said:
If Barber becomes our #1, Slanton would be a nice 3rd down type back to pair with him.

I do like Stewart, even though he's not looking great so far today.

spoke to soon

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1742026 said:

McFadden
Stewart
Rice
Slaton if he comes out
James Davis
Cory Boyd

the GT kid is Tashard Choice, but he wont be a 1st rd pick

and you left off Felix Jones, who might be the 2nd best RB in college football behind McFadden

David

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
I remember when Ronnie Brown was the 2nd best back to come out behind Cadillac Williams.....we all saw how that panned out for Miami. I'd rather stick with the #1 guy: RUN DMC!!!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
my #1 choice is to trade the 2 1sts and a 3rd to get McFadden, seems top 5 teams are looking to trade down to acquire more picks more and more these days, but aren't finding many takers

but Jonathan Stewart would be a heck of a consolation prize, if the Browns pick around 15, I think we should take him there, that's only 1 spot above where the BIlls took Marshawn Lynch this year, who's pretty good, and I think Stewart is even better, btw, seems the Pac-10 is the new RB factory, 1st there was Steven Jackson, now Marshawn Lynch, and next it will be Jonathan Stewart, big backs w/ good speed and quickness who can catch the football

I think we might have some competition from the Eagles for DMac

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Really like Stewart , and would be my choice with a late round 1 pick . The kid reminds me of Larry Johnson .

dallasfan

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1748275 said:
my #1 choice is to trade the 2 1sts and a 3rd to get McFadden, seems top 5 teams are looking to trade down to acquire more picks more and more these days, but aren't finding many takers

but Jonathan Stewart would be a heck of a consolation prize, if the Browns pick around 15, I think we should take him there, that's only 1 spot above where the BIlls took Marshawn Lynch this year, who's pretty good, and I think Stewart is even better, btw, seems the Pac-10 is the new RB factory, 1st there was Steven Jackson, now Marshawn Lynch, and next it will be Jonathan Stewart, big backs w/ good speed and quickness who can catch the football

I think we might have some competition from the Eagles for DMac

I can see us swapping with Oakland. They have a running game, but no WRs, and would probably like to drop down. The Jets could take McFadden, but I can see them grabbing Chris Long and targeting a DE/OLB later in the draft, cause they need defensive help bad.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1748177 said:
I remember when Ronnie Brown was the 2nd best back to come out behind Cadillac Williams.....we all saw how that panned out for Miami. I'd rather stick with the #1 guy: RUN DMC!!!

Ronnie Brown was having a very good season until the injury this year.

Frankly, I still don't think going over board to get McFadden is a smart business move. The NFL's best teams all have one common element...they can all pass the ball! Even the Cleveland Browns and there horrid defense are winning ball games because they can jack the ball all over the yard. In my opinion that makes WR's and corners priority for the Cowboys next offseason. We can let JJ walk, sign Mewelde Moore and draft another back in the second or third round.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think Stewart and Mendenhall will both be 1st round locks if they declare.