Jones may have already lost his mind

Wood

Reaction score
since I just heard he actually tried to extend Parcells contract 2-3 more years with more money. I am conviced Jones will not hire a younger coach (which this franchise desperately needs..ie Rivera) because he is just more comfortable with older guys like himself. I think its a lock that Wade Phillips gets the job because Jerry will see him as the easier guy to work with.

Gaede

Reaction score
i get the same feeling.

Phillips is a safe bet...

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Wood;1333910 said:
since I just heard he actually tried to extend Parcells contract 2-3 more years with more money. I am conviced Jones will not hire a younger coach (which this franchise desperately needs..ie Rivera) because he is just more comfortable with older guys like himself. I think its a lock that Wade Phillips gets the job because Jerry will see him as the easier guy to work with.

Phillips would not be a horrible choice. Not my 1st or 2nd but not horrible. He would bring out the best in our talent on D. But I would personally like a long term solution at this point.

superpunk

Reaction score
I really don't see how that link works at all.

Jerry didn't want Parcells to stick around because he's an old guy. He wanted him around because he thought they were doinga nice job of building something, and wanted it to continue. That doesn't connect to who we'll hire now in any way.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
sounds like it all depends on getting Jason Garrett in here.

I'm sure many heard the scuttlebutt yesterday that they desperately want Garrett in the organization...he could be brought in as OC with Wade or Norv, just about anyone...apparently, they see him as the future HC and want him in the organization.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Wood;1333910 said:

i heard people "hear" too many things and go running around like what they "heard" must be true because they "heard it".

it only gets worse when you see stupidity written out. for some reason, writing things down gives them more credibility.

everyone pretends to know the mindset of jones. amazing to me.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
iceberg;1333960 said:
i heard people "hear" too many things and go running around like what they "heard" must be true because they "heard it".

it only gets worse when you see stupidity written out. for some reason, writing things down gives them more credibility.

everyone pretends to know the mindset of jones. amazing to me.

The mindset of Jones, frightening.

Skip

Reaction score
Phillips with a really good "O" coordinator would be a good choice I think. He's a 3-4 guy and that is what we need as long as he's more aggressive than Zimmer was.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
Skip;1333990 said:
Phillips with a really good "O" coordinator would be a good choice I think. He's a 3-4 guy and that is what we need as long as he's more aggressive than Zimmer was.

IMHO I just don't see these players buying into Wade Phillips as HC, leading the charge.

CoCo

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1333929 said:
sounds like it all depends on getting Jason Garrett in here.

I'm sure many heard the scuttlebutt yesterday that they desperately want Garrett in the organization...he could be brought in as OC with Wade or Norv, just about anyone...apparently, they see him as the future HC and want him in the organization.

Nothing at all against Garrett. Perhaps he'll be the next coaching genius.

But what qualities does he have that make people think he will be? Correct me if I'm wrong but Jason has never even been a coordinator much less a HC.

That said I don't think there is one formula for being a successful HC in the NFL. Young, old, through the ranks, silver spoon, hard knocks, fiery, cerebral, hands on, hands off, encouraging, critical, trademark scheme, flexible, stubborn, etc. You'll find successful guys who fall in all sorts of different categories.

I think perhaps the most reliable indicator is track record in previous jobs. But how does one develop that unless they are at least a coordinator. And so again I ask, why is Jason Garrett a hot prospect?

The answer, I suspect, may be because he was a feel good story in Dallas because of his overachieving at QB (very limited physical skills), ivy league background and football heritage (brother & dad). But how much of that has anything to do with HC success and makes him a must have in todays Cowboy staff restructuring.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
I'm fully expecting Wade or Norv. With Jerry that may be the best we can hope for. JJ would totally run over a younger, less experienced coach.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
Jerry offered the extension and the money because he didn't want to be percieved as the bad guy. Could you imagine the public outrage if parcells left because jerry didn't massage parcells ego. Jerry would get roasted in the public. Jerry sat back at let parcells make the decision, smart move on jerry's part.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
No Wade is a mediocre Head Coach he has shown that at not one place but two. Like I said giving a guy a second shot is not a big deal to me I just don't understand a 3rd chance when we should be looking for the young Dynamic assistant coach

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
Bach;1334003 said:
I'm fully expecting Wade or Norv. With Jerry that may be the best we can hope for. JJ would totally run over a younger, less experienced coach.

I think Jerry will run over Big Wade and Norv also, I guess that's why their candidates.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1333995 said:
IMHO I just don't see these players buying into Wade Phillips as HC, leading the charge.
You could be right, but I've got a feeling that the defensive players would be encouraged and excited with Wade Philips.

We heard mumblings that the defensive players were unhappy that their defensive scheme was not more aggressive.

Against that backdrop, I'd guess that Philips would be enthusiastically welcomed.

I gotta wonder about the wisdom of possibly pairing the inexperienced Jason Garrett as OC with a defensive head coach. Seems like big gamble to give Garrett such a position without much in the way of a safety net.

Maybe Jerry is thinking about continuing Parcell's method of splitting the passing and running game coordinator duties, with Saprano continuing to call the plays.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out.