Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Chryst talks about decision to stay at UW

Stability for family was a key issue
By JEFF POTRYKUS
jpotrykus@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 27, 2007

Madison - One week after turning down a lucrative offer to return to the National Football League as quarterbacks coach with the Dallas Cowboys and remain at the University of Wisconsin, Paul Chryst sounds at peace with his decision and eager to prepare for the 2007 season.

We're happy here and weren't looking to leave. (But) there some unique circumstances (in Dallas) that made it something I had to look into. But in the end I felt like we're pretty fortunate and have a good thing here. The stability was something that was good for our family.

- Paul Chryst

UW's offensive coordinator acknowledged Tuesday night that the decision was taxing because he has enjoyed coaching in the pros, including three seasons with the San Diego Chargers (1999-2001), and because he has several friends on the Cowboys' staff.

"This was a little bit of a crossroads," said Chryst, who is entering his fourth season overall as an assistant at UW. "Because a lot of the things that make it right were there. Yet there's a lot of things that are right here. . . .

"You have to project a little bit and in the end you kind of rely on faith and hope what you did was the best thing for your family."

Chryst has agreed to a multiyear contract, including a pay raise that could push his annual salary to $300,000. He made $200,000 last season. The contract still must be approved by the UW Board of Regents. The next scheduled meetings are March 8 and 9 at UW-Parkside.

Chryst had not spoken to reporters since UW officials announced on Feb. 21 that he had decided to return. He called a Journal Sentinel reporter Tuesday night as a professional courtesy because he had talked about his decision to stay at UW with at least one other reporter earlier in the day.

He acknowledged that ensuring stability for his wife, Robin, and their three children played a critical role in his decision.

"We've been lucky but we've bounced around, too," said Chryst, whose children are in fourth, sixth and seventh grade. "My wife has had to make a lot of sacrifices and the kids. You're appreciative and grateful for all that has happened, but you just try to make that gut-level decision.

"We're happy here and weren't looking to leave. (But) there some unique circumstances (in Dallas) that made it something I had to look into. But in the end I felt like we're pretty fortunate and have a good thing here. The stability was something that was good for our family."

Chryst also acknowledged that he looked into the Dallas job not because of the allure of coaching again in the NFL but because of the friendships he had with members of the staff.

"I've enjoyed my experiences at all the levels I've been it," Chryst said. "But people are what drive it. It was those people as much as where it was that drove that.

"I really enjoy the people that I work with and work for here. A lot of the good is what made it a hard decision."

Does Chryst, 41, ultimately want to run his own program? Perhaps, though there doesn't appear to be a sense of urgency.

"I don't have a plan that at a certain age you've got to be that," he said. "There's a lot of luck that comes in and timing. You try to be invested in what you're doing at the time.

"I really believe that if you're hired to do a job you do that job. I've seen guys try to put those other things first and they've kind of suffered."

UW's offense has thrived under Chryst. He coached the team's tight ends in 2002, left to rejoin friend Mike Riley at Oregon State and worked there in 2003 and '04 but then returned to UW in 2005 as co-offensive coordinator.

That season, UW set school records for points scored in a season (446) and for season scoring average (34.3 ppg) and scored at least 40 points six times.

Most notably, the passing game improved as quarterback John Stocco set UW season records for passing yards (2,920), passing touchdowns (21) and pass completions (197).

Wide receivers accounted for 110 catches, with running backs getting 61 and tight ends 29. Running back Brian Calhoun became just the second player in NCAA Division I-A history to accumulate 1,500 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving in the same season.

Five members of that offensive unit were selected in the 2006 NFL draft and several others were lost to graduation, so Chryst had to rebuild the 2006 offense with a new staff and eight new starters.

The result?

Chryst guided an offense that improved as the season progressed and played a key role in UW's 12-1 record. The Badgers averaged 29.3 points per game, the No. 9 mark in school history. Sophomore Travis Beckum set school records for receptions (61) and receiving yards (903) by a tight end and P.J. Hill led the Big Ten Conference in rushing with 1,569 yards and was named the league's freshman of the year.

Chryst acknowledged Tuesday that he was smart enough to understand that many people played significant roles in the success the offense has enjoyed the last two seasons.

"You're always fortunate to have opportunities," he said, referring to the Dallas offer. "And also smart enough to know that those although those opportunities come to you, it's not because of you.

"It's because of a body of work by a lot of people."