Juanyeh Thomas is ready for more prominent role

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I am excited to see if this kid can earn a starting job. I doubt he beat out Hooker ( guaranteed salary ) but he's certainly one to keep an eye on.
I would argue our safety room is much stronger than it has been in a long time with Bell, Hooker, Wilson and Thomas. Zimm is smiling from ear to ear coz he loves DBs (lol).

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/31/juanyeh-thomass-cowboys-2024/

This is Juanyeh Thomas’s pathway to bigger role with Cowboys​

When the Cowboys added Juanyeh Thomas as an undrafted free agent (UDFA) in 2022, it wasn’t met with much fanfare throughout the base. Flashy, new draft picks and more notable UDFA’s, like Markquese Bell, carried most of the media attention. Aiding in Thomas’ invisibility was the logjam at the safety position ahead of him. In addition to Bell, the Cowboys had Jayron Kearse, Malik Hooker and Donovan Wilson all clearly positioned ahead of him on the depth chart. There wasn’t much reason for the general public to know who the former Georgia Tech safety was at that point in time.

In summer of 2023 that all changed. With the logjam at safety still firmly in place, Thomas forced onlookers to acknowledge his presence. A strong training camp coupled with a handful of highlight plays in the preseason ensured Thomas a spot on the final roster and a place in the hearts and minds of Cowboys Nation thereafter.

John813

Reaction score
IMO his main competition for a starting role is vs Don Wilson for the S.S. role.
Remember him from GT, which defense was a tire fire(not his fault) and he bounced around for roles on defense. He shined more closer to the LOS and not being in the open field.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Juanyeh Thomas is a baller that has been flying under the radar on the roster for a while now. He's stuck behind some larger salaries, but I think he is poised to get in the game more this year. When he was on the field last season he was making some good stuff happen. I hope he gets more playing time under Zimm.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The entire Dallas secondary has talent and depth.

The question is if that gets a chance to matter given what’s going on up front.

LB will probably be better, but DT? They are counting on some longshots and if they don’t come through it’ll severely limit what everyone else can do.

JBS

Reaction score
We just have so many players. It’s not fair that we can only play 11 at a time

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I’m all in on trading Hooker. Saves money, gets a late pick and gets Thomas on the field

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Let's not annoint him yet please
I'm with you. This fan base and unfortunately, this Front Office has been so quick to anoint a player, basically patting themselves on the back for finding UDFA and late-round (AKA cheap) gems.

However, Juanyeh has special, special movement skills and athleticism. How many Safeties do you see that were their college team's kick returner? If he's not starting by 2026, I would be shocked.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
IMO his main competition for a starting role is vs Don Wilson for the S.S. role.
What about Bell???
It appears Juanyeh played quite a bit of FS also at Tech. I noticed he had 4 interceptions. I guess my question is of the three, Wilson, Bell and Thomas who are more likely to play FS?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Thomas seemed to be in the middle of the action every time he stepped on the field in 2023 . I’m excited to see him and how Zimmer gives him more snaps .