Judge overseeing NFL 'Sunday Ticket' trial voices frustrations over the case

triplets_93

Reaction score
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/da...cket--trial-voices-frustrations-over-the-case

Jerry Jones' filing against the NFL in 1994 said he supported the league's model for negotiating television contracts and the revenue-sharing agreements in place.

When asked Tuesday if teams should be able to sell their out-of-market television rights, Jones said no because “it would undermine the free TV model we have now.”

The league has language in television contracts with CBS and Fox that the “resale packages (Sunday Ticket) are to be marketed as premium products for avid league fans that satisfy complementary demand to the offering of in-market games.”

There is additional language that prohibits the selling of individual games on a pay-per-view basis.

The NFL received a rights fee from DirecTV for the package from 1994 through 2022. Google's YouTube TV acquired “Sunday Ticket” rights for seven seasons, beginning last year.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't think they're winning this. But the first paragraph had me laughing.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is a complicated case. I had the Sunday Ticket on Direct Tv for probably 20 years. I thought it was fantastic. Is it expensive? Yep, but who am I to tell a league or service provider what to charge. lets face it, we are spoiled. I remember the days when I had to watch the MNF highlights just to see what happened in the Cowboys games.

In the early 90s, Primestar had both east and west coast network feeds, so I could get the games shown on the east coast and west coast for free. Then laws were passed restricting Primestar to showing only the network feed that came from the area you lived in.

Thats when we got DirecTv and the ticket. Directv was FANTASTIC. They were constantly upgrading their services and you could get issues solved quickly on the phone. Quite frankly, they blew cable out of the water and I didnt mind paying for Sunday ticket.
I still dont mind as I play fantasy football and want to watch as many games as I can at the same time.
The NFL losing this case would be a good thing for NFL fans. It would clearly lower prices and might actually allow fans to pay for games of their team only, something that the NFL does not want. BUT, the reality is, content and the way it is delivered has and is drastically changing. What the future holds is still very much in doubt.

I actually miss the days of going to the sports bar here in Norcal to watch the game. It was packed full of fans, 75% Cowboys fans and it was a blast. We were all running around high fiving each other, enjoying games together, ********ting.... it was as close as you could get to being at the game from Ca.

Fast forward 30 years, and now I can fly to games with 200 dollar air tickets from Ca and online ticket purchasing. No matter what happens with this case, one thing isnt going to change. I will continue to watch EVERY Cowboys game as I have since probably about 1993. It is good to have 1st world problems.