Julius Jones and Clarence Davis

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
When Julius Jones was a rookie and John Madden was visiting training camp, Parcells told Madden that Jones reminded him (Parcells) of Clarence Davis (an Oakland Raider RB who was coached by Madden).

Reportedly, Madden agreed with the comparison.

Yesterday on the NFL Network, footage from old Raiders games were shown. It was interesting to see. There are obvious similarities between the running styles of these two guys (I'm talking about Jones and Davis here, although Parcells and Madden may also have similar running styles).

Clarence Davis played in the 1970s (1971-1978, all with the Raiders).

I just mention it because it was interesting to see the Clarence Davis footage given the Jones comparision.

If you happen across some old Raiders highlight films, you might want to check it out.

EDIT: a typo

NMfan

Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
although Parcells and Madden may also have similar running styles).
:laugh2: :laugh2:

Oh there is an image that I cannot get out of my mind.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
NMfan said:
:laugh2: :laugh2:

I wonder who would win that race! And, how long would it take to run the 40?

:lmao2:

ZeroClub

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I remember him- he was pretty good for a while.
He was pretty good. I think he might have had some problems staying healthy - but I'm not sure. Pete Banaszak and Marv Hubbard are more memorable to me. But anyway, Clarence Davis did have a wiggle that is similar to what Jones has.

For me, it is just kinda cool to look for, and to be able to see, elements of Julius Jones in the old footage of Davis.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Chief said:
Parcells by a nipple.

Chief, you have the funniest humor! Where do you come up with some of that stuff? Are you a comedian?

:laugh1: :laugh2: :lmao2:

ZeroClub

Reaction score
NMfan said:
Yeah, it isn't pretty, but for some reason it isn't hard to visualize either.

I'd guess that Parcells is younger - so I'd give him the advantage.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
5Stars said:

Chief, you have the funniest humor! Where do you come up with some of that stuff? Are you a comedian?

:laugh1: :laugh2: :lmao2:

Thats in there is funny too :p:

Chief just has a twisted mind :D But seriously, You have missed on one of the all time classics by him. I forget the name, but the massive Wisconsin OL we had few years ago, Chief did his workout regiment, had almost everyone rolling down and laughing.

Probably Hos might have that link somewhere?

CoCo

Reaction score
Chief said:
Parcells by a nipple.

I think that's questionable as I'm sure that particular piece of anatomy would be anything but stationary front and center during the race.

But yeah, if they happened to be swinging to the front at the finish line.

CoCo

Reaction score
But back on topic, I would agree that Jones & Davis do indeed have similar running styles.

I also recall that Davis was the recipient of that famous last gasp pass from Stabler into the end zone as he was being tackled but am struggling to remember the opponent and the significance of that game.

I recall the announcer screaming "Davis caught the ball, Davis caught the ball!"

A little help please...

ZeroClub

Reaction score
coco2 said:
But back on topic, I would agree that Jones & Davis do indeed have similar running styles.

I also recall that Davis was the recipient of that famous last gasp pass from Stabler into the end zone as he was being tackled but am struggling to remember the opponent and the significance of that game.

I recall the announcer screaming "Davis caught the ball, Davis caught the ball!"

A little help please...
I did a quick Google search. It was a 1974 playoff game versus the Dolphins.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/sports/year_in_sports/12.21.html

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
When Julius Jones was a rookie and John Madden was visiting training camp, Parcells told Madden that Jones reminded him (Parcells) of Clarence Davis (an Oakland Raider RB who was coached by Madden).

Reportedly, Madden agreed with the comparison.

While it may be the case, it's not really a compliment, now is it?

Davis had a modest career.

superpunk

Reaction score
Alexander said:

I don't think the OP said it was - just that if we get the chance, we should check him out.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I don't think the OP said it was - just that if we get the chance, we should check him out.

I remember Davis with the Raiders. Good player, fast and had his moments. But not a special one.

I would hope Jones ends up having a better career.

superpunk

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I remember Davis with the Raiders. Good player, fast and had his moments. But not a special one.

I would hope Jones ends up having a better career.

Yeah, me too.

Unfortunately - the second sentence of your post pretty much describes Julius so far - to a tee.

ZeroClub

Reaction score
Alexander said:

Davis had a modest career.
I agree.

Davis wasn't a "work horse" sort of back. His per carry average was good, but he tended not to get many carries.

When I heard Parcells tell this story during a press conference, it was disappointing to me. (If the new hope at running back reminds you of a guy who wasn't all that great, .....)

I'm sure that the comparison that Parcells was making had to do with running style ... how Davis and Jones look with the ball in their hands. And there are some similarities - which I enjoy seeing, for whatever reason.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Searching my memory, I was still a fan of the raiders back then- not as big a fan as of the Boys, but still a fan. Davis did have that slashing ability to make people look stupid like JJ does. But one problem with him was that he - if I remember correctly- did not have the top end speed to break the real long ones. And I think he had some problems that kept him from being a top back. Just so long ago.