Just a consensus...

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
I'm curious as to who you would fashion an offensive and a defensive corps around. They can be anyone as long as they're playing today. I'd like to know who you pick and why.

Offense

Andre Johnson, WR, Houston Texans - I had an opportunity to watch him play a whole bunch last season and I was quite impressed with the skill and poise he showed. He had a Pro Bowl season with a mediocre offense and demonstrated that he will be a bright spot for the Texans for a long time. I can't imagine a better young receiver to build an offense around.

Other selections include...

Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots
LaDanian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego Chargers
Jason Witten, TE, Dallas Cowboys
Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis Colts
Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts

Defense

Julius Peppers, DE, Carolina Panthers - Peppers quickly established defensive dominance when he was picked by the Panthers. He has lateral quickness and an impressive command of anyone who gets put on him. He has too much skill to be limited to just a defensive end. I imagine that he would make a mammoth linebacker or a very impressive tight end if he was positioned on the offensive side of things. He is just unstoppable and he will be for years to come.

Roy Williams, S, Dallas Cowboys
Ed Reed, S, Baltimore Ravens
Dwight Freeney, DE, Indianapolis Colts
Shaun Rogers, DT, Detroit Lions
LaVar Arrington, LB, Washington Commanders

There are other players that I had make my list but the aforementioned players who have made contributions to their teams in quite a big way. The way the players are listed are not indicative of the way they are positioned on my list.

How about your lynch pins, folks?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
I'm curious as to who you would fashion an offensive and a defensive corps around. They can be anyone as long as they're playing today. I'd like to know who you pick and why.

Offense

Andre Johnson, WR, Houston Texans - I had an opportunity to watch him play a whole bunch last season and I was quite impressed with the skill and poise he showed. He had a Pro Bowl season with a mediocre offense and demonstrated that he will be a bright spot for the Texans for a long time. I can't imagine a better young receiver to build an offense around.

Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots
Jason Witten, TE, Dallas Cowboys
Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis Colts
Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts

Defense

Julius Peppers, DE, Carolina Panthers - Peppers quickly established defensive dominance when he was picked by the Panthers. He has lateral quickness and an impressive command of anyone who gets put on him. He has too much skill to be limited to just a defensive end. I imagine that he would make a mammoth linebacker or a very impressive tight end if he was positioned on the offensive side of things. He is just unstoppable and he will be for years to come.

Roy Williams, S, Dallas Cowboys
Ed Reed, S, Baltimore Ravens
Dwight Freeney, DE, Indianapolis Colts
Shaun Rogers, DT, Detroit Lions
LaVar Arrington, LB, Washington Commanders

There are other players that I had make my list but the aforementioned players who have made contributions to their teams in quite a big way. The way the players are listed are not indicative of the way they are positioned on my list.

How about your lynch pins, folks?

offense: peyton manning....... work ethic second to none. indy does not need a oc with this man on the field

defense: peppers or freeney: you can toss a coin with those two.
there is no substitute for a consistent de pass rusher who wreaks havoc....like charles haley, harvey martin, dexter manley, jason taylor, etc.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I agree 110% with Andre Johnson.
On the right team with the right scheme, I think he could be the best receiver in the league.
JMO.

Roughneck

Reaction score
Offense: LaDanian

He's just so damn versatile and has several Pro Bowl Seasons ahead of him.

Defense: Ray Lewis

I want the most vocal, nasty, baddest **'er of a War Daddy out there to lead my Defense and I'll take #52 every single time.

NicholasD

Reaction score
I really wanted to against the grain and pick someone else, but saying anyone but Peyton Manning didn't seem right. I'd also go with Julius Peppers on defense.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Offense: LaDanian

He's just so damn versatile and has several Pro Bowl Seasons ahead of him.

Defense: Ray Lewis

I want the most vocal, nasty, baddest **'er of a War Daddy out there to lead my Defense and I'll take #52 every single time.

those would be my 2nd choices, good job roughneck.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
offense: peyton manning....... work ethic second to none. indy does not need a oc with this man on the field

defense: peppers or freeney: you can toss a coin with those two.
there is no substitute for a consistent de pass rusher who wreaks havoc....like charles haley, harvey martin, dexter manley, jason taylor, etc.

I would agree with these picks. You can't build an offense around a WR or even a RB. You MUST build an offense around the QB.

Peyton Manning is by far the most complete QB in the league and a guy you COULD and SHOULD build around. His skills demand that you build around him. He is the modern Johnny Unitas, a guy with all the tools but a guy who needs to have things his way. When he does he is easily the best in the business. When he doesn't he can struggle.

Tom Brady, on the other hand, is a guy who could fit in almost any scheme or system. He has good skills but his biggest strengths are his leadership and will to win. He reminds me a lot of Staubach, not the best passer but the guy just finds ways to win. That is not to say that he doesn't need talent around him but that he doesn't need a specific scheme or types of players like Manning does.

As for defense, I believe it must be built around the D-Line, in particular the DEs which is why I would go with Peppers or Freeney. You could also build around a dominant DT like Shaun Rogers (which is what we SHOULD have done. GRRR!) or even a group of LBs but I don't think you can build a defense around an individual LB no matter how good he is.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
Alright I play too;

First of all I want the leader, not the showboat, Brady over Manning. Give me the playoff/big game pressence, not 49 TD's. Indy's got the RB AND the WR, not to mention a helluva lot more and it does nothing for them because Manning is not a QB to build a team around. The guy does not produce when really needed and he will suck your team dry with the high payoff, no payout, contract he will demand thinking he's a franchise quarterback that will get you to the big game. Eh, naw, I'll pay for the results,..Tom Brady. AND, I'll see the rest of you drafting prior to #32 every year that a Manning is leading your team.

Notable;

Now Defense...
Can't argue with the concensus,..Ray Lewis. Defense is 90% mentality. Inject any player with his mentality and presence and they all become better.

Notable;
Noone