Just got an LG OLED G4

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’ve had the same 65 inch LCD TV for a number of years. I never felt the need to change until they started showing Thursday Night games on Prime Video. They even had the playoff game between the Chiefs and Dolphins on an app. Even more games will be on apps this upcoming season, so if you don’t have a smart TV you’re stuck watching these games on your phone. Just got the LG G4 97 inch set up. Amazing picture! However, it’s much BRIGHTER than my old TV. After about 30 minutes of exploring the menu/features and watching some TV I started getting a headache and my eyes got dry and sticky. :( I sat 14 feet from old TV which was much further than the ideal viewing distances I’ve seen given. I’m sitting 21 feet from this TV which is still probably further than the ideal viewing distance even for a TV screen of this size. I don’t believe my viewing distance is the problem. It’s the brightness of the picture. Did anyone else experience headaches or dry eyes after upgrading to one of these newer brighter TVs and did your eyes finally adjust? Hopefully mine will or I might try dimming down the brightness some.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Nope, zero issues with me. I absolutely LOVE my OLED. It's the real deal. I couldn't imagine going back.

I'm sure you've tried adjusting the brightness and whatnot? I know they have a "Cinema" picture setting that really dims the overall picture too. I'm not a fan of it, but may work in your situation. It's interesting you're having this issue as LED TVs can also be pretty bright.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Nope, zero issues with me. I absolutely LOVE my OLED. It's the real deal. I couldn't imagine going back.

I'm sure you've tried adjusting the brightness and whatnot? I know they have a "Cinema" picture setting that really dims the overall picture too. I'm not a fan of it, but may work in your situation. It's interesting you're having this issue as LED TVs can also be pretty bright.
I haven’t made any adjustments yet. This TV is way above what I had and I’m still learning all the features as well as the remote functions. I don’t want to screw anything up. It’s going to take awhile to become familiar with everything. The LCD I had was a 2013 Sony and I did adjust the brightness on that when I first got it. This new LG is real BRIGHT! :cool:

triplets_93

Reaction score
I have a standard LG LED TV. It really bothers me when I watch regular TV with one of the brighter settings. I notice it right away when I'm in the Roku Menu for example. There are some things on Roku YouTube videos that need the brighter settings. I finish. Turn off the TV without changing the brighter setting. I turn the TV back on later, and I notice the brighter setting. If I don't change it, I would get a headache.

So the setting I use most is "Expert Bright Room."
For some movies I stream, I use Standard. But sometimes Cinema, or APS.

For some volcano lava videos I use HDR.

But I rarely use the Sports or Vivid or Expert Dark Room setting.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Until I figure out what setting to use I’m wearing a pair of computer glasses to help cut down on the white balance. This has helped a lot. I definitely don’t want to be wearing these watching TV. This is what happens when you wait too long to change technology. The screen is 32 inches bigger than my previous set and the picture is more vivid. I remember getting headaches when I got my first smart phone and kept exploring the phone. I think that’s part of the problem I’m having with the new TV.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just found an eyecare mode which I switched on and that’s helped. Don’t need to wear the computer glasses on this mode. According to Google it knocks down the blue balance, but you lose a little image quality. I’ll try this mode for a while and hopefully it will help my eyes adjust.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cinema mode or manual adjust :thumbup:
I’m going to keep it on eyecare mode for a while and see how that goes. Then switch it off and try cinema mode for awhile. Hopefully I’ll be able to zero in on a setting that will keep my head from exploding during the NFL season.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Try turning up the volume up extremely loud and maybe the bleeding in your ears will distract you from the eye issues.

rags747

Reaction score
I’ve had the same 65 inch LCD TV for a number of years. I never felt the need to change until they started showing Thursday Night games on Prime Video. They even had the playoff game between the Chiefs and Dolphins on an app. Even more games will be on apps this upcoming season, so if you don’t have a smart TV you’re stuck watching these games on your phone. Just got the LG G4 97 inch set up. Amazing picture! However, it’s much BRIGHTER than my old TV. After about 30 minutes of exploring the menu/features and watching some TV I started getting a headache and my eyes got dry and sticky. :( I sat 14 feet from old TV which was much further than the ideal viewing distances I’ve seen given. I’m sitting 21 feet from this TV which is still probably further than the ideal viewing distance even for a TV screen of this size. I don’t believe my viewing distance is the problem. It’s the brightness of the picture. Did anyone else experience headaches or dry eyes after upgrading to one of these newer brighter TVs and did your eyes finally adjust? Hopefully mine will or I might try dimming down the brightness some.
Dude, Tell me you paid $25k for this…Bravo to you! I have an 85” Sony for the past 3 years, would love to upgrade to the 97” but don’t see myself dropping $25k, will wait till I can do one for $10. Anyway, have a look at this and see what you think, you can probably find better calibration settings, I looked quickly.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/g4-oled/settings

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They come way too bright out of the box. You can use settings from rtings, but if you spent 20k on a tv, pay to get it professionally calibrated.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dude, Tell me you paid $25k for this…Bravo to you! I have an 85” Sony for the past 3 years, would love to upgrade to the 97” but don’t see myself dropping $25k, will wait till I can do one for $10. Anyway, have a look at this and see what you think, you can probably find better calibration settings, I looked quickly.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/g4-oled/settings
I researched the latest TVs and the newest one by LG was getting some of the best reviews. A friend of mine got an LG C3 last year and loves it. I had been watching the same LCD TV for the past 10 years so I knew when I finally upgraded I wouldn’t hold back. When I get something I don’t spare any expense. I’m very happy with the purchase. I just need my eyes to adjust to the brightness. I found a few settings that are working. I’ll check out that link.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They come way too bright out of the box. You can use settings from rtings, but if you spent 20k on a tv, pay to get it professionally calibrated.
From everything I’ve read the picture is great out of the box. It looks great to me it was just too bright. I’ve made a few adjustments to dim it down some and it’s helped. I really don’t want anyone messing with the calibrations but me. I might not like what they’ve done. It has to fit me eyes. YouTube offers a lot of tips.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I’m going to keep it on eyecare mode for a while and see how that goes. Then switch it off and try cinema mode for awhile. Hopefully I’ll be able to zero in on a setting that will keep my head from exploding during the NFL season.
Many of us have degrees of tv fried eyes. I am hoping they'll come out with a braille version.