Just recycle... It works right?

Bleed Blue

Dallas 67
Reaction score
With all the talk of Phillips and Turner the best chance to be our Cowboys next HC. The Garrett learning curve begins. What scares me is what happens for a few years until he is ready. I know at times in the NFL these two have had success but it never seems to work the second time around. Will you please give some examples where a old coach has found new magic. If not I'm holding out for R.R. Those back to back to back 5-11s have me up at night. Just too much talent on this team.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Dallas 67;1344406 said:
With all the talk of Phillips and Turner the best chance to be our Cowboys next HC. The Garrett learning curve begins. What scares me is what happens for a few years until he is ready. I know at times in the NFL these two have had success but it never seems to work the second time around. Will you please give some examples where a old coach has found new magic. If not I'm holding out for R.R. Those back to back to back 5-11s have me up at night. Just too much talent on this team.
Dan Reeves.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Cant' think of one example. I've seen successful coaches take a break and come back and win again (Vermiel, etc.....), but never a stuffed-shirt.
There's a reason why Phillips is standing a post in Palooka-ville as D. Cord. He's had ump-teen chances, in his prime, in a non-FA/Salary cap era to show his stuff and came up wanting.
Before you fall for all this "3-4 defensive genius" crap, consider the following:
First, he may very well be the benificiary of a lot of talent and just held down the fort. Secondly, on a team never known for its defense, as of now it's a one-year wonder. In fact, I didn't know he was still in the NFL until this years Charger defense started getting some press. This has Merriman written all over it. Just on it's surface, any former head coach in the NFL, especially one with multiple teams on his resume' (Norv Turner) who is currently second or third fiddle on some team will only be HC again when someone is stuck with little other choices. It is patently rediculous to assume that this guy is the answer. Where's the evidence? I mean, guys like this are a known commodity. You don't need a crystal ball to dissect Phillips. There's a better shot going with an unknown and hoping you got the next "wonder boy" coach.
This is a frickin' nightmare.................

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Bill Belichick- tuff time as HC of the Brownies then well you know the rest.

Dick Vermeil- Lost SB 15 as Eagles HC, won SB 34 with the Rams.

But you're right it does'nt happen very often with recycled coach, the odds are against a team that goes that route based on history.

Gordon

Reaction score
Dallas 67;1344406 said:

I wouldn't even say Wade Phillips was a failure in Buffalo. He went 29-19 in 3 years there with 2 play off appearances. Obviously both were losses but in the game against the Titans (who came 1 yd away from a SB W) he lost on a miracle play.

I think the only thing that can really be held against him was how he handled the QB situation with Flutie and Rob Johnson which was questionable to say the least.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Reeves in and interesting route, if not for his age and his history of heart trouble. He has had alot of success as HC, just no SB victory. I'd be happy with a coach who at least TOOK a team to a SB, win or lose. And Reeves did take two teams to the SB (Atlanta, Denver), and did pretty good in NY with a suspect team. He can coach, no doubt about it. I've just seen zero indication that he has any interest at all. I believe he know's the game has passed him by. I also believe he suffers from alot of heart-breaking endings in his HC career that just wore him out. What's it been, about 10 years since he's put on the headphones? It's a shame Dallas never went after him in his heyday, I remember rooting for that to happen alot.

Gordon

Reaction score
lewpac;1344584 said:
Reeves in and interesting route, if not for his age and his history of heart trouble. He has had alot of success as HC, just no SB victory. I'd be happy with a coach who at least TOOK a team to a SB, win or lose. And Reeves did take two teams to the SB (Atlanta, Denver), and did pretty good in NY with a suspect team. He can coach, no doubt about it. I've just seen zero indication that he has any interest at all. I believe he know's the game has passed him by. I also believe he suffers from alot of heart-breaking endings in his HC career that just wore him out. What's it been, about 10 years since he's put on the headphones? It's a shame Dallas never went after him in his heyday, I remember rooting for that to happen alot.

Reeves has only been gone for 3 years. He was fired halfway into 2003 when Vick was hurt and they stunk. Wade Phillips finished off the year and then they hired Mora in 2004.

ddh33

Reaction score
The funny thing is that the NFL used to always be about experience. Owners wanted to hire a guy they knew could do the job. Now, it's the opposite. No one wants a guy who has failed somewhere else. Everyone wants a young, unproven guy - even though many of them don't work out either.

DipChit

Reaction score
lewpac;1344584 said:

Yeah as Gordon said, it hasnt been that long.

But more importantly he does want to come back.. he said as much in a sideline interview at the Shrine game... said his health is fine now too. Plus theres been the reports that he did in fact call VR about the opening.

All we "know" about it for now though is Jerry supposedly said.. No, but thanks for calling.

For a short term gig I'd sure like what he brings to the table getting the team ready for gameday more than what Norv/Wade will. But whatever.