Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
White not invited back to Chiefs' minicamp
spacer.gif

[size=-1]By ELIZABETH MERRILL[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]The Kansas City Star[/size]
spacer.gif

Jason White's closely watched tryout ended Sunday with a quiet walk off the field and some advice from Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil.

Vermeil told the 2003 Heisman Trophy winner to consider the Arena League.

Roughly an hour after the rookie tryouts ended, White was told he wouldn't be invited back for the team's minicamp. Though he was considered a long shot to receive a contract, the quarterback from Oklahoma was the buzz of the three-day camp. Reporters from the two largest newspapers in Oklahoma rushed to Kansas City when White received the invite Thursday. White commanded more attention than the Chiefs' first-round draft pick, linebacker Derrick Johnson.

White hit some passes, missed some receivers and impressed the Chiefs' coaches with his smarts. But the bottom line was this: Kansas City drafted a quarterback in the seventh round last month and has three veteran quarterbacks on the roster. Oh, and this: White, apparently, needs some fine-tuning.

“What I recommended him to do, if he really wants a place in the NFL,” Vermeil said, “is to go to the Arena League, sharpen his skills and compete.

“I think he's aware of where he is and what he needs to do.”

Earlier in the day, Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said he'd be willing to give other NFL teams film on White's weekend if they're interested and it didn't work out in Kansas City.

White came back from two major knee surgeries, and his health undoubtedly has played a part in his post-college blues. James Kilian of Tulsa, the seventh-round pick, had a far better Sunday. He zipped a pass that elicited an “Oh, baby!” from the coaching staff. And at the end of Sunday, he was still in Kansas City.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11540133.htm