Keeping opponents from scoring 30 points a game is also the key

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Keeping opponents from scoring 30 points a game is also the key to winning a SB.

[Post deleted due to embedded language (site rule 13]]

Last edited by a moderator:

12+88=7

Reaction score
@12+88=7 You need a good defense minimum to win in the playoffs and multiple SBs. Your goals are pretty low and weak, I like a team that can do both. :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Don't disagree.

The defense was good enough, IF, and that's a big IF, the offense had been more consistent week to week.

If the Dallas offense shows up, Dallas is a tough matchup and favorites to win, regardless of our defense.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
As a Cowboy's fan out of state, I can tell you here in New York whenever you mention the Dallas Cowboys offense almost everyone here says the same thing.."Yeah, but what about their defense?? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
This is ALL in the past Garrett/Marinelli Richard/ era. Nolan's existence will revise this entire defense.
Totally agree. What is the new plan. Everyone keeps referring to what we did last season or the season before. Has no relevance due to totally different schemes in all 3 phases of the game. And we as fans really dont what to expect schematically other than MM use to run a WC offense.

This is why I cant wait until they allow us to practice to get an idea on how the coaches expect to use our players.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
BTW, Just remember that Dallas scored 10 points in the loss to New Orleans, and 9 points at New England and at Philly.
They score one more toughdown in those 3 games and go 11-5. Those three road games against good teams on the road were
winnable and our offense let us down in all three. That's why it's a Team Game.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And 4 games that we let opponents score more than 24 pts ?

Yes the other 4 losses were on defense.

In 8 wins though they only gave up 21+ points 3 times. The offense scored 31+ in those same games.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I hope our Defense is better this year. New players in a new system with a new staff. Spooky stuff...

ghst187

Reaction score
Don't disagree.

The defense was good enough, IF, and that's a big IF, the offense had been more consistent week to week.

If the Dallas offense shows up, Dallas is a tough matchup and favorites to win, regardless of our defense.

I agree...no team right now is going to field a dominant offense AND defense...just not feasible in this climate and era of salary cap. All we have to do is field a competent defense, if like you said, our offense shows up every game. I remember everyone getting tired of Zimmers bend but don’t break defensive schemes but that really is all you need. Force teams to go the length of the field every time and most can’t do it consistently. Then add that to them having to play from behind because your offense is unstoppable and you can def win it all. If Nolan can generate a few turnovers...and the offense is consistent we could finally see a deep playoff run or better IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And 4 games that we let opponents score more than 24 pts ?
Yes the other 4 losses were on defense.

In 8 wins though they only gave up 21+ points 3 times. The offense scored 31+ in those same games.

Also in 2019:

Cowboys record when both teams had over 24 points:
1 win, zero losses

Cowboys record when both teams had less than 20 points:
zero wins, 3 losses

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
BTW, Just remember that Dallas scored 10 points in the loss to New Orleans, and 9 points at New England and at Philly.
They score one more toughdown in those 3 games and go 11-5. Those three road games against good teams on the road were
winnable and our offense let us down in all three. That's why it's a Team Game.
Remind me who our head coach was again?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Last year we kept 4 teams from scoring more than 15 points and every one was a loss.

This is why you can't use points as a parameter.

There are times you are going to face a top defensive team (or bad conditions like in New England) and no matter how good your offense is, it's going to be a struggle to score 20 points. Other times you are going to face a top offensive team and it might be a shootout.

We seem to expect our defense to be able to hold every team down and no defense to be able to handle our offense. That's just not reality. The key is our defense being good enough to step up when the offense is having a difficult game and the offense being able to when the defense is struggling. We can give up 30 points in a game where the offense scores 35 and score 17 in a game where the defense gives up 13. Part of our problem last year is that when the offense struggled, the defense wasn't good enough and when the defense struggled, the offense wasn't good enough. ... And the special teams were never good enough.