Kelvin Sampson leaving OU for Indiana

royhitshard

Reaction score
Sampson takes Indiana job

By Justin Harper
The Oklahoman

NORMAN --- Players have confirmed to the Oklahoma that head men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson will leave the school to become the new coach at Indiana.
Sampson met with players at around noon in Norman on Tuesday to tell them the news.

""We got a text message sent out that we had a meeting at noon. Coach walked in and told us he's making a tough decision," said OU center Longar Longar. "Well, he made it over the weekend when he was offered the Indiana job. He said he's taking it."

"It was real silent in the room. Coach Sampson has done a lot of great things for 12 years here. So, none of us saw this coming."

Sampson will replace Mike Davis at Indiana. Davis replaced Bob Knight in 2000.

Sampson was 279-109 during 12 season at Oklahoma. Sampson was 11-11 in NCAA Tournament play, making the 2002 Final Four, where OU lost to Davis and Indiana.

The Sooners lost in the first round of this year's NCAA Tournament to Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Sampson leaves with OU set to meet with the NCAA infractions committee next month about improper phone calls to recruits. Sampson and his staff violated both the amount of times recruits could be called, as well as calling high school juniors, which is against NCAA rules.

Additional sanctions could still be levied against Oklahoma and Sampson.

http://www.newsok.com/article/1799738/?template=news/main

Finally!

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Good move for him... he has done a nice job at OU, but Indiana is one of the premiere hoops jobs in the country...

royhitshard

Reaction score
He did a very nice job at OU, but I think they were stuck in a rutt with Sampson. I hope the new coach can pick up the pace a little.

Reaction score
I am a OU fan here, I am shocked and sadden about this but I can understand him leaving, he had good career with OU for 12 years, I wish him the best and he will be missed!