Ken Caminiti, 1996 NL MVP, Dies at Age 41

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
By BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer

NEW YORK - Ken Caminiti, the 1996 National League MVP who later admitted using steroids during his major league career, died Sunday. He was 41.

Caminiti died of a heart attack in the Bronx, said his agent-lawyer Rick Licht. The city medical examiner's office said an autopsy would be performed Monday, spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said.

"I'm still in shock," San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers said. "He was one of my favorite all-time players."

The three-time All-Star third baseman often was in trouble the last few years. His 15-year big league career ended in 2001, five seasons after he led the Padres to a division title and was a unanimous pick for MVP.

Just last Tuesday, he admitted in a Houston court that he violated his probation by testing positive for cocaine last month, and was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

But state District Judge William Harmon gave Caminiti credit for the 189 days he already served in jail and a treatment facility since he was sentenced to three years probation for a cocaine arrest in March 2001.

In May 2002, Caminiti told Sports Illustrated that he used steroids during his MVP season, when he hit a career-high .326 with 40 home runs and 130 RBIs. He estimated half the players in the big leagues were also using them.

Caminiti returned to baseball this year as a spring training instructor with San Diego.

"When I saw him in spring training, he didn't look good," Towers said. "I'm not surprised."

"The best way to describe him is that he was a warrior in every sense of the word. I can't tell you how many times I remember him hobbling into the manager's office, barely able to walk, and saying, `Put me in the lineup.'"

Licht said Caminiti was in New York this past weekend to help a friend, but did not go into detail.

"Man, that's just a tough one. I played with him for eight years," Dodgers outfielder Steve Finley said Sunday night, learning of Caminiti's death after St. Louis eliminated Los Angeles from the playoffs.

"He was a great player, but he got mixed up in the wrong things — taking drugs. It's a sad reminder of how bad drugs are and what they can do to your body. It's a loss all of us will feel."

Caminiti batted .272 with 239 homers and 983 RBIs with Houston, San Diego, Texas and Atlanta.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../ap/20041011/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_obit_caminiti

Being a big Padres fan this suck although it's not a suprise

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v194/dmxinsd/rip.gif

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Poster boy for steroid use and drug abuse... 41 is awfully young to die as an elite athlete...

RIP...

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Cammi had one of the best arms I have ever seen at 3rd base. Tragic story.

Peace to him and his family.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
The guy was one hell of a player in his prime.

41 is way too young to die

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Wow.

Talk about a rapid descent. I met him at Spring Training when he was on the Padres. Truly a nice guy to the fans.

RIP Ken...

Duane

Reaction score
Great player for the Astros. Too bad he let his demons take control of his life. God Bless you Ken.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
SoTex said:
Cammi had one of the best arms I have ever seen at 3rd base. Tragic story.

Peace to him and his family.

I still recall a play while he was an Astro where he dove to backhand a shot down the the 3rd base line and then threw a rocket to first while on his knees for the out. Amazing arm.

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Boom said:
I still recall a play while he was an Astro where he dove to backhand a shot down the the 3rd base line and then threw a rocket to first while on his knees for the out. Amazing arm.

I remember a few plays like that. Great gun on that guy.

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
i remember a play when he was with the Padres and he was on his a** i think foul territory and still threw the player out