Kickoff rules possible problem

Flamma

Reaction score
I think they made one mistake with the new kickoff rules. If there happens to be a really good kickoff return man, teams will just kick it through the endzone. It comes out to the 30, who cares? Better than letting Devon Hester 2.0 return the ball. There are 2 ways they can solve this problem.

1. Make any kickoff into the endzone on a fly come out to the 35 or 40.
2. Kickoff from the 30 yard line, not the 35.

csirl

Reaction score
I think they should kick off from the 20. Touchbacks are too easy to get.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think they should kick off from the 20. Touchbacks are too easy to get.
The 20 is a bit too far. The 25 is the furthest I'd go with the current rules. I say 30 because you have to consider weather. Depending on that, if you're kicking from too far away, you may never reach the 20.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I noticed in the Vegas game Vaughn 5 yards deep in the end zone brought it out got buried at the 19. In the end zone does it have to be brought out ?

Flamma

Reaction score
I noticed in the Vegas game Vaughn 5 yards deep in the end zone brought it out got buried at the 19. In the end zone does it have to be brought out ?
No. If it goes into the endzone on a fly, he can take a knee, and it comes out to the 30. But if it bounces into the endzone and you take a knee, it comes out to the 20.

He has nothing to lose doing that in preseason. A real game I'd expect him to take a knee.

RonWashington

Reaction score
No. If it goes into the endzone on a fly, he can take a knee, and it comes out to the 30. But if it bounces into the endzone and you take a knee, it comes out to the 20.

He has nothing to lose doing that in preseason. A real game I'd expect him to take a knee.

Right if it’s 5 yards deep take the ball at the 30 exactly . Thanks for clearing that up .

Flamma

Reaction score
I just heard an interview with Belichick. He basically said the same thing in my OP. I think he said this yesterday. Teams will just kick it through the endzone instead of risking kicking it to a good return man. Preseason is not an indication of what will happen in regular season. He says they need to move the kickoff back.