Kiper's Draft Report: Couple Of Players That Might Fit The Parcells/Ireland Profile

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...Well ole' Mel's Big Blue Draft Report came in the mail this weekend. I know a lot of you make fun of Mel, but for me, Mel's blue-covered Draft Report is my annual rite of spring. This day and time it's so much easier to learn about all the prospects with the information on the web, but to me, receiving Mel's Draft Report means it's officially draft season!

What I like to do is go through the information and based on what we've read about the type of player Parcells and Ireland are looking for, try and identify possible targets of interest for the Boys. Of course, Lawson, Wimbley and Carpenter are easy to identify. What I'm looking for are the prospects that aren't so obvious.

One quality in a prospect that Parcells looks for is versatility.

Well, here are two prospects I've liked for a long time and will follow in the coming days:

1) Parys Haralson, DE Tennessee.

Beyond all the popular names at that OLB position that have been discussed ad nauseam, this is a player that I haven't read much about us being interested in, but I really like and think he could fit in our 3-4 scheme. He is not as fast or athletic as some of the big names, but let me tell you this guy is a relentless, animal on the field. I've followed him in the SEC for the past 4 years. He is undersized for a 4-3 as a DE, but he could play OLB in a 3-4. Kiper calls him a "natural pass rusher" who could "play on his feet in the 3-4". He only ran a 4.82 at the combine and for that I'm sure he will be downgraded, but I believe the guy will be a very good player in the right system.

Tennessee has had a ton of talent on defense the past 4 years, but Haralson, a two-time Captain, (which Parcells values), was the bell-cow and the most intense football player on that team. Just a very good football player! It will be interesting to see where he ends up. We all know our long history with Tennessee players, (some good, some not so good), but obviously we still have strong connections in Knoxville.

2) Willie Reid, WR/PR/KR from FSU.

At the WR position, Reid is a very versatile player that could fill a huge hole for us in the return game on special teams.
I really like this guy!! You could call him a "poor man's Reggie Bush".

He is a quality WR who is dynamic in the return game. We need such a player, imo. Reid was awesome in the post-season, being named the MVP of the ACC Championship Game ( 83 yard punt return TD, 210 total yards) and he was spectacular in the Orange Bowl against PSU, (87 yard punt return TD, 180 total yards).

Remember, Parcells drafted Laverneous Coles from FSU a few years ago, so he has a good history with FSU WRs.
This former Georgia High School Offensive Player of the Year would look great with a Star on his helmet.

Comments? Does anyone else have any other names they think fit the Parcells/Ireland profile?