Kirby Puckett Dies!

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I hate to hear that. Although I didn't like the fact he Helped to beat the braves in WS.. he was a class act from what I have read and heard about him.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Sad, truly.

Ya know, it reminds ya...tomorrow isn't promised to anyone.

RIP

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
He left us way before he should have but who am I to question.. Only 45.....ummm sure makes one think.

wxcpo

Reaction score
One of the truly greatest players to ever play. Not for only what he did on the field, but how he conducted himself off the field. You don't see many players the caliber of a Kirby Puckett. He will be missed.

RIP Kirby.

jem88

Reaction score
wxcpo said:
One of the truly greatest players to ever play. Not for only what he did on the field, but how he conducted himself off the field. You don't see many players the caliber of a Kirby Puckett. He will be missed.

RIP Kirby.
It's never nice to speak badly of the dead and I hope he rests in peace, but from what I've read recently, Puckett had his share of serious off-field issues.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
jem88 said:
It's never nice to speak badly of the dead and I hope he rests in peace, but from what I've read recently, Puckett had his share of serious off-field issues.
Yeah, he was one of my favorites when he played, but stories say he has been accused of hitting (several) women. If that is true he doesn't deserve to be remembered fondly.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Murph80 said:
Rip Kirby

I just had a Jessica Simpson moment....I read "Rip Kirby" quickly and thought "Christ, that's cold the man just died and we're supposed to rip him?" Oops.

RIP Kirby.

jman

Reaction score
I feel strangely sorrowful.

I was never a real baseball fan, but loved the game during high school. Maybe because he was just five years older than me, maybe I remember the Twins winning the World Series while I routed for them...

Anyway...I just got chocked up and felt a tear running down my face when I logged on to the internet and read on yahoo that he had passed.

Rest in Peace Mr Pucket.

Why am I still crying?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't know what he did behind closed doors. I doubt his demons were any worse than Mickey Mantle's or Babe Ruth's, but when he stepped out on the field in the presence of fans he couldn't have been a more exemplary human being. He signed my then 5 year old cousin's baseball before a Ranger game, and didn't just sign it without muttering a word in assembly-line fashion as per usual, but took the time to shake his hand and ask him what position he played (he was in his little league uniform). He really made him feel like the only kid in the ballpark.

The 60's will always be known as the golden age of baseball, but there was a great collection of HOF caliber baseball players from the pre-steroid late 80's - early 90's who played the game the right way and were very easy to like. Kirby. Sandberg. Gwyen. Larkin. Mattingly. Ripken. Winfield. Gibson. Orel. Biggio. Ozzie. Molitor. Joe Carter. Yount. I think history is going to look back fondly on that era of baseball.