Kirby Puckett Dies!

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't know what he did behind closed doors. I doubt his demons were any worse than Mickey Mantle's or Babe Ruth's, but when he stepped out on the field in the presence of fans he couldn't have been a more exemplary human being. He signed my then 5 year old cousin's baseball before a Ranger game, and didn't just sign it without muttering a word in assembly-line fashion as per usual, but took the time to shake his hand and ask him what position he played (he was in his little league uniform). He really made him feel like the only kid in the ballpark.

The 60's will always be known as the golden age of baseball, but there was a great collection of HOF baseball players from the late 80's - early 90's who played the game the right way and were very easy to like. Kirby. Sandberg. Larkin. Ripken. Orel. Biggio. Ozzie. Molitor. Joe Carter. Yount.

Very well said Sir. You also note some very fine players who represent or represented the game of MLB very well.

jesusdlg

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, what a shame :(

He was good and played the game with fun. RIP

BillsFan

Bledsoe for MVP
Reaction score
During his playing career it was hard to not to love him. Great player, great with the fans. Minnesota loved him.

After his career was over though he's been compared to OJ Simpson. I mean very very graphic stuff here guys. I feel nothing now that he's dead. Considering some of the things I read on this guy. The hell with people like that.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't know what he did behind closed doors. I doubt his demons were any worse than Mickey Mantle's or Babe Ruth's, but when he stepped out on the field in the presence of fans he couldn't have been a more exemplary human being. He signed my then 5 year old cousin's baseball before a Ranger game, and didn't just sign it without muttering a word in assembly-line fashion as per usual, but took the time to shake his hand and ask him what position he played (he was in his little league uniform). He really made him feel like the only kid in the ballpark.

The 60's will always be known as the golden age of baseball, but there was a great collection of HOF caliber baseball players from the pre-steroid late 80's - early 90's who played the game the right way and were very easy to like. Kirby. Sandberg. Gwyen. Larkin. Mattingly. Ripken. Winfield. Gibson. Orel. Biggio. Ozzie. Molitor. Joe Carter. Yount. I think history is going to look back fondly on that era of baseball.

If I recall, in the early 90's, Kirby Puckett along with Cal Ripken Jr. were some of the few big name players left who would always sign balls for kids after games. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I feared it would come to this but could not be sadder. I really liked Kirby Puckett.

I thought Puckett was a very good ball player but I thought he was a world class kinda baseball man. Just did it the way it should be done. I really liked Kirby Puckett.

Condolences.