KU coaches have Talib's back

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
April 12, 2008
KU coaches have Talib's back
12:35 PM Sat, Apr 12, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Albert Breer E-mail News tips
Kansas CB Aqib Talib's had plenty of questions to answer over the last few days.

There was the story that leaked out about failed drug tests as a collegian, and whispers about other character concerns. All of which, according to Jayhawks coach Mark Mangino, are unfounded.

"Aqib is an intelligent young man and he speaks well, and he can represent himself well, and I'm not going to comment on that because it's not appropriate," Mangino told the Kansas City Star. "But I can tell you this, his last two seasons in our program, he was a role-model player. He's a guy you'd have baby-sit your kids, you can trust him. Give him credit, he's a success story, he's turned his life around."

Now, Talib didn't come, as scheduled, to Dallas Day yesterday. But from everything I heard, that was "no one's fault" and there was no indication it was anything but a scheduling conflict. So I think anyone reading more into it than that should probably calm down.

Tex

Reaction score
The only problem anyone I know had was that he accepted and told VR he would be here. And then changed his mind to visit other teams instead.

Fine. But he is a big boy with an agent and a pocket full of cell phones and ONE or the OTHER should of called to amke sure that he didnt just not show up with no explanation. Looks bad. Irresponsible really.

Crap if nothing else his agent should of stood up and took the blame for this. That sorta falls under his job description in my eyes. But SOMEONE should of made sure VR was notified in advance. Either Talib or his agent.

Tex

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I'm always scared to draft a guy when his best attribute is his 'swagger'.

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2033368 said:
I'm always scared to draft a guy when his best attribute is his 'swagger'.
He do great in the NFL. I've never seen anyone near as pompous as him. ;)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Was it written anywhere that the guys in VR were surprised he didn't show, like they were waiting for him and he never showed up?

All I read was that he didn't make it because of a conflict, which is not to say our guys didn't know about it before hand.

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
TheCount;2033378 said:
Was it written anywhere that the guys in VR were surprised he didn't show, like they were waiting for him and he never showed up?

All I read was that he didn't make it because of a conflict, which is not to say our guys didn't know about it before hand.
I agree. Although I don't like the drug allegations and all, it's very possible that the VR guys knew he wouldn't be able to make. No harm, no foul. We need to wait and see whether or not they knew or if he just blew them off.

Tex

Reaction score
The first reports were that he just didnt show at all. Unexplained. That was early in the day.

Later that day the story about the scheduling conflicts came out from his agent I believe.

It doesn't matter really though. I just think he belongs in a cover-2 scheme not in a man to man scheme like ours. Everyone makes mistakes. He is a kid in college. Zhit happens.

It just rubbed me wrong the way it came out. If it was a scheduling conflict he had to of known before Friday is the point. He would of flown in at least thursday evening to be rested and ready for Friday. So he knew the day before. Or his agent knew.

I still think its as much his agents fault. Thats HIS JOB. Thats what he gets paid to do. Handle the details and not let his client get painted in this light.

I think the agent should of shouldered this one no matter who's fault it really was. Thats what he is paid to do. Protect his client.

I just look at it different. I bet he is not a bad kid at all.

I just do not think he fits a man to man scheme.

Tex

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Tex;2033355 said:
The only problem anyone I know had was that he accepted and told VR he would be here. And then changed his mind to visit other teams instead.

Fine. But he is a big boy with an agent and a pocket full of cell phones and ONE or the OTHER should of called to amke sure that he didnt just not show up with no explanation. Looks bad. Irresponsible really.

Crap if nothing else his agent should of stood up and took the blame for this. That sorta falls under his job description in my eyes. But SOMEONE should of made sure VR was notified in advance. Either Talib or his agent.

Tex

I agree it looks bad.

Doesnt matter what the intent or the circumstances were, it looks like a blow off when you just dont show or dont call.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The Rawhide Kid;2033380 said:
I agree. Although I don't like the drug allegations and all, it's very possible that the VR guys knew he wouldn't be able to make. No harm, no foul. We need to wait and see whether or not they knew or if he just blew them off.

If this was a blow off and the guy didnt show and didnt call to let anybody know, I imagine his name has been removed from our draft board.

My .02

joseephuss

Reaction score
Of course Talib's coach Mangino will defend him. Talib admitted to failing three drug tests, but I don't seem to recall him being suspended for three different incidents.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Scheduling conflict...end of story.

And as for his skill set, just about every scouting report I've read about him says he can play either man or zone.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The Dodger;2033786 said:
Scheduling conflict...end of story.

And as for his skill set, just about every scouting report I've read about him says he can play either man or zone.

I think that whole "he's a zone player" thing came up before the combine, when everyone thought he was dog slow because he got beat deep by Jordy Nelson on one play, and the fact that he's big. Even after he proved he was faster than advertised at the combine, I guess it just stuck. Some even said he should play safety, because he has some size.

People assume only 4.3 corners under 6 feet can play man.