Kudos to the running game yesterday

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We came out with a smart planned operation to NOT run it at those 2 big hogs Washington has in the middle. I speak for everyone when I say I loved the change up in thinking, and not playing to the opponents strengths! In the 2nd half, it seemed like we got tired or Dak's arm hurt from all the toss plays, and we started running up the gut more. I like this thinking of actually doing the SMART thing, can we keep this up?? Please give your thoughts!

Saluki

Reaction score
We came out with a smart planned operation to NOT run it at those 2 big hogs Washington has in the middle. I speak for everyone when I say I loved the change up in thinking, and not playing to the opponents strengths! In the 2nd half, it seemed like we got tired or Dak's arm hurt from all the toss plays, and we started running up the gut more. I like this thinking of actually doing the SMART thing, can we keep this up?? Please give your thoughts!
Been saying Pollard is NOT a Zeke runner. Need to get him an edge and let him use his wheels (Dorsett anyone?).

bigE79

Reaction score
Been saying Pollard is NOT a Zeke runner. Need to get him an edge and let him use his wheels (Dorsett anyone?).
Dorsett was a damn good inside runner, watch highlights of his best runs and you'll notice more often than not they were inside runs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dorsett was a damn good inside runner, watch highlights of his best runs and you'll notice more often than not they were inside runs.
You have to run inside, but we had been doing it too much with a runner who excels on the edges. If you get the defense protecting those edges, it's easier to break one inside.

75boyz

Reaction score
Good post. Another poster had given his weekly post-game thoughts last week and said the offense had been ballin' for the last few weeks.
I mentioned the improvement in the run game against the Giants was my idea of balling in which there was a good balance to the pass game.
Then we played the Panthers and our run game sucked again.

And yesterday the run game looked much better with both RBs appearing to have burst and both sides of the line providing nice running lanes.

The key going forward is to get some form of run game effectiveness so as not to become one dimensional offensively.
A pass only offense spells failure for any chance of winning in the post season.

This is nothing new.

jmo

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
100 yards is not that great.......

rambo2

Reaction score
They are running the quick pitch. They weren't running that earlier in the year.

conner01

Reaction score
You have to run inside, but we had been doing it too much with a runner who excels on the edges. If you get the defense protecting those edges, it's easier to break one inside.
Exactly. You have to make the LB guess but you can’t run all day up the middle. Martin is not having a great year and pollard is more effective on the edge where he can make people miss

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good post. Another poster had given his weekly post-game thoughts last week and said the offense had been ballin' for the last few weeks.
I mentioned the improvement in the run game against the Giants was my idea of balling in which there was a good balance to the pass game.
Then we played the Panthers and our run game sucked again.

And yesterday the run game looked much better with both RBs appearing to have burst and both sides of the line providing nice running lanes.

The key going forward is to get some form of run game effectiveness so as not to become one dimensional offensively.
A pass only offense spells failure for any chance of winning in the post season.

This is nothing new.

jmo
Good point!!!

bigE79

Reaction score
Gimme,that wasn't the point of my post at all,I was pointing out to the post referring to dorsett as mostly an outside runner,it had nothing to do with the current situation,and I agree with you, running Pollard up the middle constantly is stupid.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Gimme,that wasn't the point of my post at all,I was pointing out to the post referring to dorsett as mostly an outside runner,it had nothing to do with the current situation,and I agree with you, running Pollard up the middle constantly is stupid.
OK. Didn't see the post referring to Dorsett as an outside runner. I do think it's important to note that while Dorsett was 5-11, 192 pounds and Pollard is 6-1, 209, there is quite a bit of difference in the size of defenders then and now. A lot of DTs were the size of linebackers now (Larry Cole was 252 pounds; Randy White was 257) while LBs were in their 220s, which is the size of safeties now. That would make Dorsett the equivalent of at least a 210 to 220 back today.