Labor talks between NFL, players union resume

Doomsday101

Reaction score
NEW YORK (March 3, 2006) --Talks between the NFL and its players union resumed the afternoon of arch 3, minus the rhetoric that has characterized earlier discussions.

That was perhaps a sign that the sides take seriously the ramifications of beginning free agency without a new deal -- something that was seven hours away from happening before the league and the union agreed March 2 to extend by three days the start of the NFL's new calendar year.

It now begins at 12:01 a.m. EST on March 6.

The two sides were not talking publicly and wouldn't even reveal the location of the talks -- but they were believed to be in New York, where they broke off earlier in the week after three days. Owners were under the threat of fines for talking to the media and Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, and other union officials were equally silent.

But silence sometimes signals hope in labor negotiations. And the best sign may be the decision to resume talks, which came a day after commissioner Paul Tagliabue suggested the picture for any agreement was grim.

Another good sign was that Dan Rooney of Pittsburgh and Jerry Richardson of Carolina -- two owners who are considered moderates -- stayed in New York after March 2's league meeting to help with the talks. Rooney has helped settle labor disputes before and is one of the owners Upshaw trusts.
The contract between the players and the league doesn't expire for another two seasons.

But this would be the final year of the salary cap, which will be about $94.5 million this year if there is no labor agreement. That would leave many teams well over the cap, which could be $10 million more if there is a contract extension, forcing them to cut many veterans.

If there is no deal and the cap doesn't increase, it would leave a glut of players on the free-agent market and many teams without much money to sign them. Next year, the final season of the contract, would be without a cap -- and that would contain limitations that could hurt the players, such as raising the number of years of eligibility for free agency from four to six.

Both sides appear to have reached the brink of that situation, and then realized it was better to try again to reach agreement than to face it.

In fact, there were reports that a number of players called the union urging officials to reconsider their position to avoid a scenario that would most likely have its biggest impact on high-salaried veterans -- players such as New York Jets center Kevin Mawae, Kansas City guard Will Shields and Tampa Bay linebacker Derrick Brooks, all multi-time Pro Bowlers in danger of being cut.
On the other hand, those players are often in danger of being cut. Dallas, for example, announced it has released La'Roi Glover, who is second in career sacks among defensive tackles behind Warren Sapp.

On the surface, the dispute is over percentage points -- the union says it wants 60-plus percent of league revenues earmarked for the players; the owners are offering 56.2 percent. That amounts to approximately $10 million per team per year.

Some team officials think there are other issues, including how signing bonuses are prorated for the salary cap and how much salaries can increase yearly.

"The rules are going to have a bigger impact than the dollar amount," said Tom Lewand, chief operating officer of the Detroit Lions.
Still, there are indications there is some agreement on how to deal with those issues.

More important is a dispute among the owners -- a continuing debate between high-revenue teams and low-revenue teams. The low-revenue teams contend that they would pay a far higher percentage of their non-football revenue into the player salary pool than those with higher incomes and want it balanced.

Upshaw has contended that solving that dispute could be the key to getting a new labor contract.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
I think the players finally get it - no new CBA means no good deals this year. In a union where members average six-figure incomes I would think the players might want to get a little more involved. I guess they're too busy buying sports cars and boats...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DrunkWithPower said:
I think the players finally get it - no new CBA means no good deals this year. In a union where members average six-figure incomes I would think the players might want to get a little more involved. I guess they're too busy buying sports cars and boats...

No kidding, you think these guys want to go home to momma and tell her that we may have to cut back on our way of life for a while? I can hear the wives now, look fool you better go talk to mr upchuck and tell him you want a deal completed or I'll leave your sorry asr and take half your money with me. :laugh1:

felix360

Reaction score
noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh well i guess the dead skins are safe

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
I'm not so sure the deadskins will be well off with a new CBA. The word is now the cash-over-cap figure will be limited to a certain figure each year, and that won't allow Snyder to use all those massive signing bonuses. Good news for the rest of the league, specially the lower revenue ones.

david_jackson

Reaction score
A dislike the Commanders as much as the next Zoner but this smacks a little of a rule against a particular team or two. We don't like rules written specifically against the Cowboys......We shouldn't want them written against another team either....sets a bad precident and will come back to bite us.

On the other hand it's alway nice to watch the Commanders squirm!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DrunkWithPower said:
I'm not so sure the deadskins will be well off with a new CBA. The word is now the cash-over-cap figure will be limited to a certain figure each year, and that won't allow Snyder to use all those massive signing bonuses. Good news for the rest of the league, specially the lower revenue ones.

I think more so the rule makes for a true cap rather than one that has so many loopholes. A cap was put in place after all to even the playing field between big and small market teams. Limiting cash over cap actually would seem to force better, more responsible cap management for all teams.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
I'd rather have an extra $10M or so to spend on our team than have another team down for a year, even if it's the Commanders. We could address some key needs with money like that, or at least use any leftover to sign someone like Witten and James to new deals.

I just wish they'd get it over with one way or the other.

The deadline is here. We've pushed the deadline back. We're breaking off talks, chop away. We're going back to the table, let you know in a few.

Enough already.

lspain1

Reaction score
david_jackson said:
A dislike the Commanders as much as the next Zoner but this smacks a little of a rule against a particular team or two. We don't like rules written specifically against the Cowboys......We shouldn't want them written against another team either....sets a bad precident and will come back to bite us.

On the other hand it's alway nice to watch the Commanders squirm!

The "Cash over Cap" thing seems to be a big deal as details leak out over the finanaces. While Snyder has used this approach more than others, he is just the leader. More will follow if it isn't dealt with. It really is a credit to Snyder that he has done something that the League must deal with in a business sense.

It was reported that the players were the ones concerned about it, but that make any sense to me. If Snyder can effectively spend more each year than the salary cap, that has to be good for player salaries. The NFL is like all other businesses because if you want to understand how it works....follow the money. Maybe we'll learn more next week, but I'm having trouble figuring out who wins and loses with this whole deal.

It still looks to me that the Cowboys would be better off in the short and long term without a CBA.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
You can argue with Snyder's team's results, but you can't argue with the man's ability to get around the cap. Weather it's him or his staff(id put my money here), you've got to give them credit. They always find a way to get under the cap and bring people in, even when they are in "cap hell".

As much as I wouldnt mind the un-capped NFL, I think this agreement is nessecary. MLB was saved after the strike because of the power era that struck us. The NFL had the competitiveness, great offenses, and usually very entertaining product. I think it's in everbody (or the majorities) interest to get this deal dne.

Pokes28

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
The "Cash over Cap" thing seems to be a big deal as details leak out over the finanaces. While Snyder has used this approach more than others, he is just the leader. More will follow if it isn't dealt with. It really is a credit to Snyder that he has done something that the League must deal with in a business sense.

It was reported that the players were the ones concerned about it, but that make any sense to me. If Snyder can effectively spend more each year than the salary cap, that has to be good for player salaries. The NFL is like all other businesses because if you want to understand how it works....follow the money. Maybe we'll learn more next week, but I'm having trouble figuring out who wins and loses with this whole deal.

The players association wants the cash over cap figured out for a couple reasons. They know that teams that have no chance of winning aren't going to spend money. With the increased % of money going to the players, the teams that generated little revenue above what was shared will have an even harder time competing. Remember, it isn't good for the league to have teams that can't compete. Being inept is one thing (Cardinals), but simply not being able to have the dollars to even keep your own players after their first contract isn't good for anybody.

Also on the other hand, you have teams that are barely over the minimum some years. In fact a few years ago, I think it was the Cardinals that was told right before the final week that they had to spend another $3 million or they would be under the minimum and subject to penalty. They could have (and might have) simply giving a likely to be earned incentive that wasn't going to be earned and pushed their cap up and then got credit the following year.

So the NFLPA wants the teams to agree on a manner to keep competitive balance. Nothing wrong with that.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh