Lance Reddick Dead at 60

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Consummate Professional: Lance Reddick (1962-2023)
By Brian Tallerico | RogerEbert.com
March 20, 2023

reddick.jpg

It’s clichéd to say this about someone after they’re gone, but a show or movie changed when Lance Reddick showed up. He brought a quiet intensity and refined gravity to everything he did. So when his face appeared on screen, everything was somehow instantly elevated. Think about when he appears late in Adam Wingard's “The Guest,” taking a film that has been focused on a family and community terrorized by a sociopath and turning it into something much more expansive and intense. His very presence in a scene somehow added stakes to that scene. Oh, wait, we have to take this more seriously now. Lance is here.

Of course, this is much harder than it looks. Sure, having that voice and that striking physical presence helps, but leaning into that gravitas is a skill set that takes refining, and Reddick did exactly that over his quarter-century in the business. He knew how to use his body, his stature, that voice in a way that didn’t feel overly stylized and never seemed desperate for attention. There’s not a single “look at me” moment in Reddick’s career. And yet you couldn’t look away when he was on screen.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Reddick studied music as a child—maybe that’s where the refined rhythms of his screen presence came from—and later at esteemed schools the University of Rochester’s Eastman School of Music, from which he earned a Bachelor of Music degree. He took the careful precision of his music background to acting when he attended the Yale School of Drama next, earning a Master of Fine Arts from that legendary school.

In the late ‘90s and early ‘00s, Reddick worked steadily in small film roles, but he felt more prominent in television. It’s no exaggeration to say that he helped define the current reputation of HBO, first by starring in “Oz” as Johnny Basil, an undercover cop sent into the legendary prison who is quickly destroyed by the brutal society in Em City. Before you know it, he’s addicted to heroin and a killer himself. Reddick captured a quick fall from grace that was unforgettable.

Read more

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Never heard of him..
Then again, I don't watch television much at all.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never heard of him..
Then again, I don't watch television much at all.
Watch movies?

How about John Wick? John Wick: Chapter 2? John Wick: Chapter 3?

Oldboy?

White House Down? Angel Has Fallen?

Godzilla vs. Kong? Great Expectations? The Siege?

Bridget? Brother to Brother? Business Ethics? Canal Street? Dirty Work? Don't Say a Word? Faith Based? Faults? I Dreamed of Africa? Jonah Hex? Little Woods? Monster Party? One Night in Miami...? Remains? Search Party? Sylvie's Love? Tennessee? The Domestics? The Guest? The Way of War? Won't Back Down?

Creeper

Reaction score
Watch movies?

How about John Wick? John Wick: Chapter 2? John Wick: Chapter 3?

Oldboy?

White House Down? Angel Has Fallen?

Godzilla vs. Kong? Great Expectations? The Siege?

Bridget? Brother to Brother? Business Ethics? Canal Street? Dirty Work? Don't Say a Word? Faith Based? Faults? I Dreamed of Africa? Jonah Hex? Little Woods? Monster Party? One Night in Miami...? Remains? Search Party? Sylvie's Love? Tennessee? The Domestics? The Guest? The Way of War? Won't Back Down?
He turned up in so many movies and shows. And I loved him in all of them. You left out Resident Evil, the series on Netflix. Bad show be he even made that disaster tolerable.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He turned up in so many movies and shows. And I loved him in all of them. You left out Resident Evil, the series on Netflix. Bad show be he even made that disaster tolerable.
Reddick has also done quality voice work, as @darthseinfeld alluded to earlier. His mannerisms and voical inflections are very prominent in video games like the Horizon and Destiny series.

quickccc

Reaction score
Another shock and crushing breaking news to have to hear and endure.

I enjoyed his characters, and his acting performances. ala the Wire, ..no doubt it is gonna be difficult seeing John Wick 4, without thinking about Riddick.

So very sad. Rest in peace Lance. You will be greatly missed.

My thoughts, prayers and condolences to Lance's family and beloved ones.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
One of those niche actors that anyone who watches movies will instantly recognize, RIP