Landon Dickerson contract extension: How will it affect Tyler Smith's next deal?

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Upper tier/elite offensive linemen are valued like gold. It is uncommon for teams to let top end O-line talent simply walk. Landon Dickerson just signed a 4-year extension worth $84 million, the highest in NFL history for a guard. The Eagles have a history of doing what it takes to keep top o-linemen on the team. Dickerson is entering the fourth year of his rookie contract. In three years, he has made the Pro Bowl twice (last two years). He also started every game the past two years. Dickerson, at 6'6", 335, and Mailata (almost the size of the average black bear) ensure that the Eagles will have the largest left side in the game.

Tyler Smith, by all accounts, is going to be, if not already, one of the game's best interior linemen--I personally believe he is. He is the same size as Dickerson, maybe a few pounds lighter. He is not quite as physically strong but he is a bit quicker. Dickerson can play center if needed, Tyler can't as far as we know. Both players are very close in skill level. Smith has played two years and has already made a Pro Bowl. We have seen the potential, and it is sky high.

Zack is on the downside. We don't know who will play LT in the future. We don't know if Steele will live up to his promise. Who is our center? Right now, Tyler Smith is the only sure-fire stud besides Zach (for now) that we can count on. Will -or should- Jerry extend him, or will he wait to hit the market when his contract is up?

What would you do? Personally, I'd try to extend him as soon as possible. I'd like to lock up a stud o-lineman for the long term now before it gets more expensive.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Tyler's worth paying. He's young, healthy, unbelievably talented, and already playing like a stud. He's one of the best guards in football right now, and his arrow is somehow still pointing up higher.

With that being said... the Cowboys' horizon might complicate that. The current plan looks to be "blow it up in 2024, get out from under Dak's deal, and restart in 2025." Is Tyler a part of that rebuild? I'd think so, because of his age. But the Cowboys seem very hesistant to dole out contracts right now.

This might end up like a Patrick Surtain II situation, where Denver has an elite young defender who could start on any team in football, and they'll let him go because their horizon doesn't match up with his horizon.

John813

Reaction score
Depends to on where they play him.

Regardless, if the team wants to keep him, the sooner the better to lock him up

visionary

Reaction score
Have to pay Tyler anyway
Move Tyler to LT and draft C and OG in rds 1/2 this year

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Upper tier/elite offensive linemen are valued like gold. It is uncommon for teams to let top end O-line talent simply walk. Landon Dickerson just signed a 4-year extension worth $84 million, the highest in NFL history for a guard. The Eagles have a history of doing what it takes to keep top o-linemen on the team. Dickerson is entering the fourth year of his rookie contract. In three years, he has made the Pro Bowl twice (last two years). He also started every game the past two years. Dickerson, at 6'6", 335, and Mailata (almost the size of the average black bear) ensure that the Eagles will have the largest left side in the game.

Tyler Smith, by all accounts, is going to be, if not already, one of the game's best interior linemen--I personally believe he is. He is the same size as Dickerson, maybe a few pounds lighter. He is not quite as physically strong but he is a bit quicker. Dickerson can play center if needed, Tyler can't as far as we know. Both players are very close in skill level. Smith has played two years and has already made a Pro Bowl. We have seen the potential, and it is sky high.

Zack is on the downside. We don't know who will play LT in the future. We don't know if Steele will live up to his promise. Who is our center? Right now, Tyler Smith is the only sure-fire stud besides Zach (for now) that we can count on. Will -or should- Jerry extend him, or will he wait to hit the market when his contract is up?

What would you do? Personally, I'd try to extend him as soon as possible. I'd like to lock up a stud o-lineman for the long term now before it gets more expensive.
Tyler will probably be our left tackle so it will have no effect at all.