Law sighting! Saying all the right things

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Law: I want to stay
By Michael Felger/ Patriots Notebook
Friday, February 4, 2005

JACKSONVILLE - Ty Law [news] made the rounds down radio row at the Super Bowl media center yesterday, riding a motorized scooter and telling anyone who would listen that he wants to return to the Patriots [stats, news] next year.

Of course, that has been Law's mantra ever since he reported to training camp in July following a contentious contract battle with coach Bill Belichick [news].

On the other hand, Law has long said he won't take a pay cut. Perhaps that stance is softening, because the Pats aren't likely to take him back unless he agrees to lower his 2004 salary ($9.75 million) and cap number ($12.5 million).

``I think I have a pretty good chance of returning,'' Law said. ``I also understand it's a business. Hopefully, I can finish my career in New England. It would be great to be somewhere your whole career. It's a rarity nowadays.''

As for his relationship with Belichick, Law said: ``It's cool. We have a player-coach relationship. We (nipped) the whole offseason (blowup) in the bud at training camp. I hope we can work something out and I can stay here.''

In the meantime, Law has been staying off his surgically repaired left foot, which is sporting a plaster cast. Law acknowledged that the ligament damage that led to surgery was a condition that existed when he first went down in Pittsburgh on Oct. 31.

The initial diagnosis was a broken bone, and Law said it was ``hurtful and emotional'' when further tests in December showed ligament damage. But Law stopped short of blaming Patriots doctors.

``I don't know if it was a misdiagnosis,'' he said. ``We just didn't catch it.''
Meanwhile, Law is with the Pats at their area hotel and is trying to stay out of the way.

``I want more than anything to be on that field and go one-on-one with T.O.,'' Law said, referring to Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens. ``It's killing me.''

Short practice

Bad weather and poor field conditions once again led to an abbreviated practice for the Pats and defensive lineman Richard Seymour [news].

Belichick cut short the Pats' session and held Seymour out of specific drills.

Belichick has been unhappy with the practice field since the Pats arrived in Jacksonville, and the league has provided no indoor alternatives.

``We ended up cutting out three periods because the footing was not good,'' Belichick said. ``I just don't want to lose a guy at this point.''

While saying Seymour was ``ready to go'' for Sunday, he stopped short of mapping out a specific role.

``We'll see exactly how much he can do. But at least we'll have him more than last week,'' he said.

According to the pool report, the Pats had another ``uneven'' session, thanks in part to the conditions.

Belichick, whose father, Steve, was in attendance, reiterated that the Pats are not yet where they need to be.

Traylor mulls retiring

Linebacker Roman Phifer may not be the only Patriot playing his final NFL game. Nose tackle Keith Traylor, 35, admitted he's had similar thoughts.

``It drives me crazy thinking this game might be my last one,'' Traylor said.

``You never know. I have to sit down, take my time, talk with my wife and make a decision. I've got some business ventures that I'm involved in, but as far as being ready to walk away, I'm not. I'm healthy and happy.''

Traylor has one more year on his contract and is scheduled to count $1 million against the salary cap next year.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
They guys in New England are coming to realize being a team player willl keep them on top, anyone willing to give up money to stay on a winning team is more concerned with winning than filthy lucre....I hope Law doesn't lose sight of what matters most.....