Law is still in Chiefs' picture

spacer.gif

Ambrose, however, remains favorite
spacer.gif

[size=-1]By ELIZABETH MERRILL[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]The Kansas City Star[/size]
spacer.gif

As week two of the Chiefs’ search for a cornerback began Monday, Ashley Ambrose emerged as the realistic favorite, and Ty Law kept his spot somewhere high on the speed dial.

Coach Dick Vermeil said Monday night that the Chiefs are “very interested” in Ambrose, a 13-year veteran who worked out in Kansas City late last week. The holdup, at least in part, is Law, the Pro Bowl corner who visited the Chiefs in March and is still on the market.

The Chiefs want Law if he will sign for a dramatically reduced price. But Law, who just began making cuts on his surgically repaired foot, reportedly wants big money.

“The thought is to play the whole scenario out,” Vermeil said, “and the scenario does include a final evaluation of Ty Law in terms of what is actually going to happen from a financial standpoint.

“First off, can he pass the physical? And then we have to find out how much money he’s going to be offered on the open market. If he’s going to be offered big money, then we’re automatically out of it.”

While Law was rehabbing his foot this spring, the Chiefs signed cornerback Patrick Surtain, safety Sammy Knight, linebacker Kendrell Bell and defensive end Carlos Hall. The defense appeared to be complete, but then Julian Battle tore his Achilles’ heel during minicamp June 18.

Battle was running with the first team because starter Eric Warfield may miss at least part of the season due to an NFL suspension.

So the Chiefs brought in four free-agent cornerbacks last week who are nearing the twilight of their careers, and Ambrose, 34, was the most impressive. He started six games last year for the Saints and was a Pro Bowler with the Bengals in 1996. After watching film on Ambrose, a 5-foot-11, 195-pound Louisiana native, Vermeil said it’s obvious he can still play.

Ambrose’s agent, Kennard McGuire, said three teams have shown “a tremendous amount of interest,” but Ambrose is patient and wants to find the right fit.

“He’s been to the Pro Bowl, he’s done extremely well from a contractual standpoint,” McGuire said. “I believe more pressing issue with him is being afforded that opportunity to play with a contender. He feels like this is one of situations he’s been waiting on.”

Ambrose will need patience. Vermeil, who’s vacationing in Pennsylvania, said it’s unclear how long the Chiefs will wait to sign a corner. Training camp starts July 28 in River Falls, Wis.

He said the Chiefs have no immediate plans to bring Law in for a physical.

“I think realistically that we, in the future, will make a move on Ashley,” Vermeil said. “Right now we’ve just decided to be patient and see what happens.”

To reach Elizabeth Merrill, call (816) 234-4744 or send e-mail to lmerrill@kcstar.com.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I wonder if the Cowboys would be interested if he lingers around unsigned a while longer?

Just kidding. :)

Really.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dale said:
I wonder if the Cowboys would be interested if he lingers around unsigned a while longer?

Just kidding. :)

Really.
Law and Patrick Surtain would be a formidable tandem at CB.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Yeah, someone will be getting a nice risk-reward ratio with Law, IMO. For a team on the bubble of being a Super Bowl team, I think I'd take the risk if he shows any signs in workouts of returning to his old form.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dale said:
Yeah, someone will be getting a nice risk-reward ratio with Law, IMO. For a team on the bubble of being a Super Bowl team, I think I'd take the risk if he shows any signs in workouts of returning to his old form.
So would I, at CB, but not at FS as has been preached here.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Law and Patrick Surtain would be a formidable tandem at CB.

I was thinking the same thing. The Chiefs are doing everything they can to improve pass protection. They have signed Surtain (an extremely capable DB), they are looking at Law, who can be effective if he heals. Further, the drafting of Derrick Johnson, though I have read reports they want him at strong side linebacker (he seems more of a will to me).

I wonder if they will be able to pressure the QB though and stop the run. Otherwise, these moves will be for naught. I know that I, for one, will be watching that team with interest.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I was thinking the same thing. The Chiefs are doing everything they can to improve pass protection. They have signed Surtain (an extremely capable DB), they are looking at Law, who can be effective if he heals. Further, the drafting of Derrick Johnson, though I have read reports they want him at strong side linebacker (he seems more of a will to me).

I wonder if they will be able to pressure the QB though and stop the run. Otherwise, these moves will be for naught. I know that I, for one, will be watching that team with interest.
IMO, they had to really beef up their D. Not a bad job so far. They add him, if he's healthy a really good job. Big if though. He's still not in uniform or healthy so just speculation at this point.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Hostile said:
IMO, they had to really beef up their D. Not a bad job so far. They add him, if he's healthy a really good job. Big if though. He's still not in uniform or healthy so just speculation at this point.

Yeah - it will be harder to pass on them, that's for sure. Actually, if Bell gets healthy, that is what I think is their best acquisition.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Yeah - it will be harder to pass on them, that's for sure. Actually, if Bell gets healthy, that is what I think is their best acquisition.
I completely agree. Bell, Johnson, Surtain, and Law (if it happens) would all be very big for them. I like Ryan Sims at DT for them. Not a bad start. If they could get another amazing year from 2nd year man Jared Allen like last year's 9 sacks I think they could challenge.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I completely agree. Bell, Johnson, Surtain, and Law (if it happens) would all be very big for them. I like Ryan Sims at DT for them. Not a bad start. If they could get another amazing year from 2nd year man Jared Allen like last year's 9 sacks I think they could challenge.

Simply put - if Jared Allen performs at or better than last year, their defense works fine. If not, they have another long year. Pressure is everything.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Simply put - if Jared Allen performs at or better than last year, their defense works fine. If not, they have another long year. Pressure is everything.
I think this team is who should be looking at Boulware.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I feel sorry for Vermeil. The man is trying to go out on a winning note but those damn Chiefs can't play a lick of defense. Derrick Johnson, Kendrell Bell, Ty Law, we'll see what happens. Hopefully, for the Cowboys' sake later this year, they haven't fixed that defense.