League-wide perception is all that matters

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
We can debate ad nauseum Belichik's class in victory. Our opinions are irrelevant. The only relevant opinions are those of coaches and players, and many seem to think that the Patriots run up scores.

Perhaps it's an unfair perception. Perhaps the Pats are well within their rights, even obligated as competitors, to score as often as possible until the final second ticks off and it's simply tough cookies if the opposing defense can't stop them.

The question, however, is one of etiquitte, and etiquitte is determined by an unwritten agreement between coaches and players, not the analogies and protests of posters on a message board.

If Belichik is breaching some etiquitte, if he is crossing that line between unrelenting determination and classlessness, it will cost him. Maybe not this year, but he...and unfortunately his team...will pay.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;1734264 said:
We can debate ad nauseum Belichik's class in victory. Our opinions are irrelevant. The only relevant opinions are those of coaches and players, and many seem to think that the Patriots run up scores.

Perhaps it's an unfair perception. Perhaps the Pats are well within their rights, even obligated as competitors, to score as often as possible until the final second ticks off and it's simply tough cookies if the opposing defense can't stop them.

The question, however, is one of etiquitte, and etiquitte is determined by an unwritten agreement between coaches and players, not the analogies and protests of posters on a message board.

If Belichik is breaching some etiquitte, if he is crossing that line between unrelenting determination and classlessness, it will cost him. Maybe not this year, but he...and unfortunately his team...will pay.

I have been saying it all night.

maybe not this week or next week but one day this will catch up.

A cheap shot? A random injury? 10 years from now when the Patriots are no good one of their past "victims" will roll up a 50 point victory over them...

Something has to give.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I get what you are saying, but I think the fan perception is valid as well.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
smarta5150;1734270 said:
I have been saying it all night.

maybe not this week or next week but one day this will catch up.

A cheap shot? A random injury? 10 years from now when the Patriots are no good one of their past "victims" will roll up a 50 point victory over them...

Something has to give.

LT really had a point. If this team is classless, it's because their coach is classless. And unfortunately, the team will likely pay more for Belichik's hubris than he will.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Hostile;1734279 said:
I get what you are saying, but I think the fan perception is valid as well.

You're right. The perceptions of coaches and players don't exist in a vacuum. They're shaped and influenced by fan and media perceptions, and vice versa.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;1734290 said:
You're right. The perceptions of coaches and players don't exist in a vacuum. They're shaped and influenced by fan and media perceptions, and vice versa.
To an extent they do, but that's not really what I am saying.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hell yeah fan perception matters. This sport isn't saving lives or curing world hunger, it's out there to entertain the fans so one could say our opinions matter more than the coaches or the players.

The Patriot fans are obviously loving this. Many people hate the Cowboys cause we destroyed their favorite team in the 90's. People hate the Yankees cause they seem to be in contention every year. People hate success, they like the underdog, and right now the Patriots are the villains that everyone wants to root against.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
TheCount;1734297 said:
Hell yeah fan perception matters. This sport isn't saving lives or curing world hunger, it's out there to entertain the fans so one could say our opinions matter more than the coaches or the players.

The Patriot fans are obviously loving this. Many people hate the Cowboys cause we destroyed their favorite team in the 90's. People hate the Yankees cause they seem to be in contention every year. People hate success, they like the underdog, and right now the Patriots are the villains that everyone wants to root against.

Fan perception is irrelevant in the context of my argument.

If Belichik is indeed guilty of running up scores, it won't be fan perception that costs him; it will be the perceptions of other coaches and players.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;1734312 said:
Fan perception is irrelevant in the context of my argument.

If Belichik is indeed guilty of running up scores, it won't be fan perception that costs him; it will be the perceptions of other coaches and players.

Perhaps, but that is only because the NFL has made fans irrelevant aside from being a money generator, which is a completely different argument. At this point, you're right, nothing we say matters.

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Hey with Goodell nothing matters basicly if Bardy killed a hooker Roger would probably help him and Bill get rid of the body.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Fan perception matters....

I guarantee that if the Patriots make the Superbowl, it should be like homefield advantage for the NFC team (hopefully the Cowboys).

Does anyone believe that all the other NFL fans attending the SB will be rooting for the Patriots. Not after what they have been doing to these fans' favorite teams.

Let the Pats keep doing this and it will be 12th man for the NFC in the SB. Book it.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Hot_Toddy;1734330 said:

I guarantee that if the Patriots make the Superbowl, it should be like homefield advantage for the NFC team (hopefully the Cowboys).

Does anyone believe that all the other NFL fans attending the SB will be rooting for the Patriots. Not after what they have been doing to these fans' favorite teams.

Let the Pats keep doing this and it will be 12th man for the NFC in the SB. Book it.

In my opinion, the Patriots thrive off negativity. Nothing motivates them more than a rancorous, vindictive away crowd.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Hot_Toddy;1734330 said:

I'm not sure who would have the home field advantage in a Cowboys/Patriots SB. We're the most hated team in the NFL and Pats arent to far behind right now. They may even take over that roll by season end. If its the Pats and anyone but the Cowboys I could see it be a home field advantage for that team. The Cowboys? I dont know.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Little Jr;1734341 said:
I'm not sure who would have the home field advantage in a Cowboys/Patriots SB. We're the most hated team in the NFL and Pats arent to far behind right now. They may even take over that roll by season end. If its the Pats and anyone but the Cowboys I could see it be a home field advantage for that team. The Cowboys? I dont know.

This year, the Cowboys would have it. Especially with the game in AZ.

Aikbach

Reaction score
The reality of wins and losses are what matter, hype is self explanatory and seldom deserved.

The Pats are good but ESPN will have no say in their championship bid.

Honestly the 2007 Pats look like the 1998 Vikings to me, high powered, winning with ease and setting records, media anointed, whoops here comes the Falcons in the NFC Championship to steal a OT victory and advance to the Super Bowl.

Replace Falcons with Colts and whalah! Same song different verse, Randy Moss gets to be on two let down paper champs.