Legendary Sportscaster Curt Gowdy passes...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Curt Gowdy, such a prized and versatile sports broadcaster in his prime that the NBC and ABC television networks simultaneously shared his talents, died today at home.

He was 86.

For all the great sports moments he narrated to the nation, from World Series drama to Super Bowl fireworks to the slippery slope of the Olympic ski jump, Mr. Gowdy never sounded like anything more than a close and trusted friend.

He lived in Palm Beach since 1988, trading in the energy of play-by-play for the soothing day-by-day charms of retirement with Jerre, Gowdy's wife of 55 years.
Born July 31, 1919, in Green River, Wyo., Gowdy had an appreciation for fishing and hunting America's wildest and most beautiful regions. That feeling only grew as his career blossomed in New York as Mel Allen's broadcast partner on Yankees games in 1949 and later as the radio voice of the Boston Red Sox from 1951-66.

Visitation will be Wednesday at Quattlebaum Funeral Home in West Palm Beach with a funeral to follow in Boston.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I used to love watching him on "American Sportsman" on Saturday afternoons...

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
"The Trill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat"

RIP :(

i believe that particular phrase was Jim McKay.
but i did enjoy Curt and he will be missed. RIP

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I used to love watching him on "American Sportsman" on Saturday afternoons...

I loved that show. My dad and I watched it together all the time. This just brought back some fond memories of my Dad and I.

RIP Curt. Thanks for the memories.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Rest in Peace, I can remember baseball games called by Curt. He had a distinct voice and was good at what he did, did not hang on so long he became a shell of himself. he was a good one, the sports world will miss you, now go call a game in heaven.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Just the sound of his voice brings back a flood of memories from my childhood.

Back in the days when there weren't multiple games on every night, the Saturday afternoon, NBC Baseball "Game of the Week", was an event. Gowdy was the voice of NBC Baseball.

Watching a Saturday afternoon NBC baseball game with my Dad, a Sunday afternoon NBC AFC football game in the fall, watching Game 6 of the '75 World Series (the Carlton Fisk home run), listening to Gowdy narrate an episode of "American Sportsman"on a Sunday afternoon after football season was over..all of them are memories that stay with you your entire life.

In today's age of shrill, shtick and shock announcers, Gowdy looks greater than ever. He was pure class and a gentleman.