Leonard Davis the highest paid in NFL, Worth it?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
STORY

According to a recent study by Forbes.com, Cowboys offensive lineman Leonard Davis is the highest-paid player currently in the entire NFL. Davis ranked 18th on the list among top athletes, with Tiger Woods ($100 million) topping the chart. But with Davis earning $25.4 million between the calendar year of June 2006 and July of this year, he ranks ahead of all other NFL players. Davis signed a Cowboys-record $16 million signing bonus in March, to go along with a $1 million base salary. But Forbes.com also counted most of Davis' $9.3 million total salary from the Cardinals last year on the survey. The only NFL player among the Top 25 was New Orleans running back Reggie Bush, who ranked 23rd by earning $23.8 million.

Link

It's obviously for the year, and without endorsements. You guys think he's worth this kind of money? I've been too caught up in the games to pay close attention to him like I did during the preseason, but the fact that our run blocking still leaves a lot to be desired, I'm wondering what you guys think. As far as I can tell, him and Andre Gurode have probably been the most consistent on the line.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TheCount;1734700 said:
STORY

According to a recent study by Forbes.com, Cowboys offensive lineman Leonard Davis is the highest-paid player currently in the entire NFL. Davis ranked 18th on the list among top athletes, with Tiger Woods ($100 million) topping the chart. But with Davis earning $25.4 million between the calendar year of June 2006 and July of this year, he ranks ahead of all other NFL players. Davis signed a Cowboys-record $16 million signing bonus in March, to go along with a $1 million base salary. But Forbes.com also counted most of Davis' $9.3 million total salary from the Cardinals last year on the survey. The only NFL player among the Top 25 was New Orleans running back Reggie Bush, who ranked 23rd by earning $23.8 million.

Link

It's obviously for the year, and without endorsements. You guys think he's worth this kind of money? I've been too caught up in the games to pay close attention to him like I did during the preseason, but the fact that our run blocking still leaves a lot to be desired, I'm wondering what you guys think. As far as I can tell, him and Andre Gurode have probably been the most consistent on the line.

He got the market rate. It doesn't matter if he's worth it. It's what we had to pay to get him.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
TheCount;1734700 said:
But Forbes.com also counted most of Davis' $9.3 million total salary from the Cardinals last year on the survey.

This may have something to do with his 'Highest paid in the NFL'.

Davis has performed lights out better than Rivera last year and that's all that matters to me.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1734712 said:
This may have something to do with his 'Highest paid in the NFL'.

Davis has performed lights out better than Rivera last year and that's all that matters to me.

Yeah, I agree he's doing well. I think it was worth it, I am pro "spending money on good players", if we hadn't gotten him, he'd be bull dozing guys somewhere else for just as much money.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1734704 said:
He got the market rate. It doesn't matter if he's worth it. It's what we had to pay to get him.
Yea I agree, he is playing good, definitely a upgrade over last year,but we had to pay what we payed to get him. I do not know what the cap ramifications are, but if it does not kill are cap in the future, then I am all for the signing.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
He's been playing pretty good. Not a lot of penalties and he's been in shape and playing well at the end of games. Run blocking has been fine, pass blocking is mostly good enough. I think he was a good signing. Should have a few good years left. Got a big bonus but his salary isn't crazy.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, he isn't worth it. Then again I think all pro athletes are over paid. These higher salaries are slowing killing the game. Ticket prices are going up to even more unreasonable prices in the future.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1734826 said:
No, he isn't worth it. Then again I think all pro athletes are over paid. These higher salaries are slowing killing the game. Ticket prices are going up to even more unreasonable prices in the future.

Everyone involved gets more money, it's not just the players. Everyone from coaches, to refs, to owners, to grounds keepers. The league itself makes a crap load from advertisements, licensing, etc. So unless everyone involved is willing to take a pay cut, I don't think it's fair to say players are over paid.

NinePointOh

Reaction score

Supply and demand, my good man. For as expensive as everything is getting, the NFL still doesn't have any problem filling stadiums, finding sponsors, or selling jerseys. That money gets filtered to the guys people shell out the money to see, and rightly so.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
We are at 6-1 because of his protection of ROMO and opening those big holes for Barber...

I would say it is worth it as a fan.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

i bring this up from time to time and am slapped down as unfamiliar with the cap. the problem is every year it goes up and that $ has to come from somewhere. networks will bid on the right to show the games based on the revenue it can collect from it. while we can add in ticket prices, concessions, branding and the like, sooner or later it will cap out. i agree, it's killing the game but since the wealthy are the ones "sick" they won't stop it. hell, if i were a player i'd not stop it either. but sooner or later tickets prices for a game is going to be more than the 'avg fan' wants to pay.

commercials won't be enough so they'll swap it to pay per view. but sooner or later the $ will end, then what?

TheCount;1734872 said:
Everyone involved gets more money, it's not just the players. Everyone from coaches, to refs, to owners, to grounds keepers. The league itself makes a crap load from advertisements, licensing, etc. So unless everyone involved is willing to take a pay cut, I don't think it's fair to say players are over paid.

i doubt groundskeepers make more just because of who they're doing it for. if you go that route than the person handing you cokes is paid more because they're doing it in texas stadium. will jones pay someone 50 cents a coke more for that or pocket it?

players are paid market value but in a world where priorties can be skewed, they're overpaid and it's getting worse. it'll be awhile before the bleeding shows but it'll happen.

NinePointOh;1734892 said:
Supply and demand, my good man. For as expensive as everything is getting, the NFL still doesn't have any problem filling stadiums, finding sponsors, or selling jerseys. That money gets filtered to the guys people shell out the money to see, and rightly so.

agreed for the most part. but that doens't mean the raises and money is never ending. if that were the case hockey wouldn't have gone through what it did not so long ago.

football will find it's cap value sooner or later.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
iceberg;1735087 said:
i doubt groundskeepers make more just because of who they're doing it for. if you go that route than the person handing you cokes is paid more because they're doing it in texas stadium. will jones pay someone 50 cents a coke more for that or pocket it?

You think the groundskeeper and even the coke vendor guy makes the same amount they did 20 years ago?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
TheCount;1735098 said:
You think the groundskeeper and even the coke vendor guy makes the same amount they did 20 years ago?

no, i think they make the same amount the coke vendors make at the ballpark in arlington. 6 flags. or anywhere else for that matter.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
iceberg;1735106 said:
no, i think they make the same amount the coke vendors make at the ballpark in arlington. 6 flags. or anywhere else for that matter.

How does that change anything? They all make more money than they did 20 years ago because the franchises they work for make more money than they did. Which was my point.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
TheCount;1735157 said:
How does that change anything? They all make more money than they did 20 years ago because the franchises they work for make more money than they did. Which was my point.

my point is way in the future, not now. i agree market/demand and so forth but i don't see how we can keep increasing the cap like we are w/o it affecting *us* in the end in how easily we can access the games now.

i make more $ than i did 20 years ago but i'll never likely sniff biggs money (or romo's next payday) unless something i write takes off. not grudges - go for it willie, kinda thing.

my concern is when we top off on salaries then what? what happens when the next FA in line for a huge payday actually sees the avg salary go *down* due to a revenue cap, then what?

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I'm extremely pleased with L. Davis. I have no complaints about his play at all at this point.