Let’s say Jerry is telling the truth and they’re drafting a QB. Which one do you want?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
So the Cowboys are committed to drafting a QB, according to Jerry. In fact, he said they should be drafting one every year.

I agree with that sentiment. QB is the most important position on the field, and it’s hard to find good ones - even backups capable of winning a few games. Throwing a pick at one that you believe has some sort of potential - maybe it’s their arm talent, maybe they display good pocket presence, maybe they can read defenses better than other college QBs… is not a bad idea.

Statistically, the best way to find a starting caliber QB is to draft one high in the first round. Of course, we’re not going to do that. I personally don’t think this team would even take one in the 2nd, unless a top-5 QB prospect fell for some reason.

So let’s say it’s the 2nd or 3rd round or later. The team is warming up to taking a QB. Young, Stroud Levis, and maybe some of the other top guys are gone.

Who do you want? Who will the team realistically pick?

There are several prospects I like and think the team could realistically target. I’m no NFL scout, but here’s what I see after watching some games -

Jaren Hall has all the arm talent you could ask for. He can make any throw. He has a snappy release and can make impressive, accurate passes with the flick of a wrist. He’s a former basketball player, and it shows. He seems like a smart QB that makes quick decisions. He’s not a “dual threat” QB, but has plenty of athleticism and speed that defenses have to respect.

He is also 6’1, will be 25 by the time the draft rolls around, has been hurt and missed time, and doesn’t display the world’s greatest pocket presence.

Max Duggan is the one the team reportedly likes. He’s a tough “gamer” style QB. He’s a good athlete. He possess a decent but not elite arm; it’s good enough to make most NFL throws though. He is a good rusher and teams have to account for that on defense.

His mechanics are not great. His accuracy is inconsistent. He occasionally stares guys down. He holds the ball too long sometimes. His ability to read defenses is a tick slower than you want. Can these issues be coached away? Or will mechanics and accuracy limit his ceiling?

Hendon Hooker has a great arm. He throws a nice ball with touch. He leads receivers on intermediate throws. He has the arm strength necessary to make all the NFL throws - an “elastic” arm that he uses to drop balls over defenders from different angles. A good runner, a good athlete, and possesses the size (6’4, 218 lbs) you like to see in a QB. He has good pocket presence, and the athleticism/slipperiness to slip out of tacklers and extend plays.

The system he was in however ran a ton of RPO and one-read plays. Scripted throws. He stares down receivers on occasion, and is a bit late with anticipation on occasion. By most scouting reports, he’s a high 2nd round pick type of guy - the team would likely have to trade up if they wanted him. He’s another older prospect like Hall - already 25 years old, and suffered and ACL tear.

Which QBs do you like in the upcoming draft? Which QB could you envision the Cowboys targeting?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Someone that can come in and make us say yes!!!!!!!!!! He's our future

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the Cowboys are committed to drafting a QB, according to Jerry. In fact, he said they should be drafting one every year.

I agree with that sentiment. QB is the most important position on the field, and it’s hard to find good ones - even backups capable of winning a few games. Throwing a pick at one that you believe has some sort of potential - maybe it’s their arm talent, maybe they display good pocket presence, maybe they can read defenses better than other college QBs… is not a bad idea.

Statistically, the best way to find a starting caliber QB is to draft one high in the first round. Of course, we’re not going to do that. I personally don’t think this team would even take one in the 2nd, unless a top-5 QB prospect fell for some reason.

So let’s say it’s the 2nd or 3rd round or later. The team is warming up to taking a QB. Young, Stroud Levis, and maybe some of the other top guys are gone.

There are several prospects I like and think the team could realistically target. I’m no NFL scout, but here’s what I see after watching some games -

Jaren Hall has all the arm talent you could ask for. He can make any throw. He has a snappy release and can make impressive, accurate passes with the flick of a wrist. He’s a former basketball player, and it shows. He seems like a smart QB that makes quick decisions. He’s not a “dual threat” QB, but has plenty of athleticism and speed that defenses have to respect.

He is also 6’1, will be 25 by the time the draft rolls around, has been hurt and missed time, and doesn’t display the world’s greatest pocket presence.

Max Duggan is the one the team reportedly likes. He’s a tough “gamer” style QB. He’s a good athlete. He possess a decent but not elite arm; it’s good enough to make most NFL throws though. He is a good rusher and teams have to account for that on defense.

His mechanics are not great. His accuracy is inconsistent. He occasionally stares guys down. He holds the ball too long sometimes. His ability to read defenses is a tick slower than you want. Can these issues be coached away? Or will mechanics and accuracy limit his ceiling?

Hendon Hooker has a great arm. He throws a nice ball with touch. He leads receivers on intermediate throws. He has the arm strength necessary to make all the NFL throws - an “elastic” arm that he uses to drop balls over defenders from different angles. A good runner, a good athlete, and possesses the size (6’4, 218 lbs) you like to see in a QB. He has good pocket presence, and the athleticism/slipperiness to slip out of tacklers and extend plays.

The system he was in however ran a ton of RPO and one-read plays. Scripted throws. He stares down receivers on occasion, and is a bit late with anticipation on occasion. By most scouting reports, he’s a high 2nd round pick type of guy - the team would likely have to trade up if they wanted him. He’s another older prospect like Hall - already 25 years old, and suffered and ACL tear.

Which QBs do you like in the upcoming draft? Which QB could you envision the Cowboys targeting?
Last year they reportedly would have drafted Sam Howell with their first 5th round pick but he was taken earlier in the 5th by the Commodes.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/sam-howell/3200484f-5769-2969-b928-41cea02da32b

tm1119

Reaction score
Has to be someone with big arm talent to develop, not a maxed out college QB from a winning team. To me guys like Duggan and Bennett are career backups at best.

Jake Haener from Fresno State and Aidan O’Connell both appear to have the arm talent to make NFL throws.

And a late round sleeper I like is Todd Centeio from James Madison. Undersized but a lot of talent

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Has to be someone with big arm talent to develop, not a maxed out college QB from a winning team. To me guys like Duggan and Bennett are career backups at best.

Jake Haener from Fresno State and Aidan O’Connell both appear to have the arm talent to make NFL throws.

And a late round sleeper I like is Todd Centeio from James Madison. Undersized but a lot of talent
Yeah, this is why I personally like the two other guys that I listed besides Duggan. They have the elite arm strength you want to see in a modern day developmental prospect.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It depends on where they take him. It changes as you go. But I almost think waiting later in this draft has the potential to have higher payoffs, if you wait. But that's just me. It's really hard to say.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Glad to see someone else like Haener.. I'm a big fan of his, and his teammate, Cropper. I think both will do well in the NFL. Cropper still looks like a high school kid, so I expect him to develop some more.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So he will be near 30 before he gets a chance to start
Same thing for another player I like, Jeron Hall. He's 25, but in our situation, I almost think that works in our favor. He's got some maturity under his belt.

Cons are he's injury prone, and old. Other than that, not too many cons with this guy. I expect he'll rise some, maybe a late 3rd to 4th.

WhizKid

Reaction score
From a pure raw and developmental perspective, I like Anthony Richardson. He is far from ready. I like the readiness of Hendon Hooker, but given his age and Dak's likely contract, it's probably not doable. I like late QBs who can "ball". So someone like Duggan does appease me. Jake Haener too, but moreso because I'm a Fresno State homer. Adrian Martinez is a really interesting prospect. I feel like his numbers didnt show what he could be. Most likely an UDFA. Clayton Tune would be another I am interested later in the draft. And if any of the top guys drop to 26 for whatever reason, I'm interested.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
I wouldn't hate Duggan in the 4th. He is really raw but the tangibles are there. He seems like he really likes the game and wants to learn. Need a better QB coach to mold that ball of clay into a player though.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
From a pure raw and developmental perspective, I like Anthony Richardson. He is far from ready. I like the readiness of Hendon Hooker, but given his age and Dak's likely contract, it's probably not doable. I like late QBs who can "ball". So someone like Duggan does appease me. Jake Haener too, but moreso because I'm a Fresno State homer. Adrian Martinez is a really interesting prospect. I feel like his numbers didnt show what he could be. Most likely an UDFA. Clayton Tune would be another I am interested later in the draft. And if any of the top guys drop to 26 for whatever reason, I'm interested.
Hooker has a nice, calm demeanor, which I like, and probably throws the best ball of all the QBs in this draft. But then we'd have two Hookers on the team.

I'll be honest. If we waited a year or two, I'd probably be willing to draft Deion's son, Shedeur. We'll see how he plays at Colorado this year, but from what I see, Deion's kid is a baller.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I’d like Jaren Hall if he were younger… but I have trouble getting past his age. Love his arm and mobility though but 25 years old…. Also, the injuries worry me too.

Tanner McKee is a guy who has a lot of things that I like in a QB except for mobility. His accuracy is ok and his arm strength is very good… and with him being a Stanford guy, we know that he’s smart and processes pretty quickly. He has very good size, which he’d need as primarily a pocket passer.

If he could learn for a while and get better under pressure, you might have something in a couple of years. But, like most QB’s drafted in the mid rounds… he’s not a sure thing.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

JAKEHAENER​

Be a three-year starter = YES
Be a senior in college = YES
Graduate from college = YES
Start 30 games = YES (38)
Win 23 games = YES
Post a 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio = YES
Complete at least 60% of passes thrown = YES

Quote:
"He has proven to play through injury and is always at his best when his team needs him most.

Overall, if Haener were bigger and stronger we would be talking about a sure-fire top-10 pick,"

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/jake-haener-d9059b47-4403-4237-bcdf-b79d00a69c48/

Pros:
  • Instincts, accuracy, touch
  • Competitive toughness
  • Football IQ
  • mobile
  • Broke Derek and David Carr Fresno State records.

Cons:
  • Lack of size
  • Not Elite arm strength

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Richardson has wow physical ability.

6-4, 230
Effortless deep ball passer
Terrific athlete

cowboyec

Reaction score
hendon hooker,tennessee.
jake haener,fresno st

if it's later...
max duggan,tcu