Let's talk about the offensive holding penalties

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
First, I have not been this happy about a win for a couple of years. The OLine played their heart out but we have got to minimize the offensive holding calls but having said that, it is such a subjective penalty. I get the impression refs call it on every play if they want to. In other words, sometimes players have to adjust to certain crews tendency to call games some games tight vs some not. So I'm unsure if last night was a player issue or referees calling a tight game.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
I feel like they were calling a lot of things but missed two big ones on parsons (didnt use a rip move) but the eagles really made a federal case to the refs selling each hold we did on them to get a call.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The officiating in general lately is a complete head scratcher.

So sometimes I put on my tin foil hat to keep me from scratching my head down to the bone.

And I realize the games are manipulated at certain times through the officials. If they weren't there would be a whole team of officials in the booth reviewing every play in the moment to make sure things were perfect with all the modern technology there is now instead we officiate like we're in the 70s so they can purposely have some human error to give them leeway to manipulate things.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The officiating in general lately is a complete head scratcher.

So sometimes I put on my tin foil hat to keep me from scratching my head down to the bone.

And I realize the games are manipulated at certain times through the officials. If they weren't there would be a whole team of officials in the booth reviewing every play in the moment to make sure things were perfect with all the modern technology there is now instead we officiate like we're in the 70s so they can purposely have some human error to give them leeway to manipulate things.
Exactly........I read a stat a couple of years ago that the percentage of holding calls within the final 2 min of a game drops like 30/40 percent. The reason is they are trying to minimize their impact on the outcome of games. In other words, there are penalties players can get away with during the final couple mins that would likely be called earlier in a game.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
Exactly........I read a stat a couple of years ago that the percentage of holding calls within the final 2 min of a game drops like 30/40 percent. The reason is they are trying to minimize their impact on the outcome of games. In other words, there are penalties players can get away with during the final couple mins that would likely be called earlier in a game.
yeah they should call it let players adjust and or just change the rules and be upfront it's about making easier teams to score just so defenses can learn to practice against it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
First, I have not been this happy about a win for a couple of years. The OLine played their heart out but we have got to minimize the offensive holding calls but having said that, it is such a subjective penalty. I get the impression refs call it on every play if they want to. In other words, sometimes players have to adjust to certain crews tendency to call games some games tight vs some not. So I'm unsure if last night was a player issue or referees calling a tight game.

I counted three holds on Parsons. I think parsons needs to do what the eagles defenders do, just do a pirouette and throw his hands up and jump up and down. bring attention to it. tell the ref, watch the OL before the snap.

John813

Reaction score
Biadasz is solid, but definitely replaceable if he wants a big contract.

Eagles offensive line reminds me of the Seahawks legion of doom secondary. They can hold, but enough/just right to where it doesn't get called.

Eddie

Reaction score
Seems like the trick to getting the Cowboys a holding penalty is to push forward and then move sideways. The Cowboys OL won't be able to remove their hands fast enough .... thus getting a holding penalty called.

silvernblu

Reaction score

I saw a pretty blatant one that wasn’t called.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Glad they.picked up a couple. I just wish they called them consistently on both teams. Micah was held multiple times, eagles got away with at least one PI in the end zone, and the first Biadasz penalty was not clipping.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
I counted three holds on Parsons. I think parsons needs to do what the eagles defenders do, just do a pirouette and throw his hands up and jump up and down. bring attention to it. tell the ref, watch the OL before the snap.
Parsons was held on many occasions. On the play he was called or illegal hands to the face half the Eagles line was holding. On a replay of another play Parsons got jacked in the face but he didn't get the same call thrown for him. I don't know how the refs decide when to chime in or not, but it has been really affecting games. Teams that haven't had any calls the rest of the game suddenly come down with "holditis" and are called for 2-3 consecutive penalties in the red zone. Also, teams with the best pass rush should conversely have the most holding calls called in their favor. It is logical that the inferior talent will have to hold rushers. So tell me why that is not the case...

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
What. You mean the phantom clipping call?
Cowboys definitely have a history of bringing out the best in the referees. I don't even know why they would think of a clipping call - I haven't heard that called in a NFL game in years (if ever). I told my wife I couldn't even remember what clipping was. Really? Lol. Only the Cowboys...

foofighters

Reaction score

Was this more of the eagles flopping all over the place? There's pretty much holding on every play of every game. What do you do?

RS12

Reaction score
Cowboys ran 20 more plays than the Egirls and had the ball 36 minutes. That doesnt happen if the O Line isnt getting it done. Holding penalties be damned.