Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the curious...

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 17, 2008, 10:10 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print

The Cincinnati Bengals introduced Mike Zimmer as their newest defensive coordinator Wednesday, but just as noteworthy was coach Marvin Lewis reiterating that the team had no intention of trading mercurial wide receiver Chad Johnson.

Johnson

Johnson expressed unhappiness with the Bengals' front office during his appearance last Friday on ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning," saying "not too many people really having my back within."

He intimated that if he were considered a distraction and the reason for the Bengals' disappointing season, the organization should trade him. "The only thing for me to do or say now is, if you guys, as a team and organization, want to further yourself in the playoffs, I think you need to get rid of what the problem was during the season," Johnson said on the radio program.

Lewis, addressing those remarks on Wednesday, said, "He didn't say anything different -- that he was unduly chastised for being this or that. He's going to go back and be a pro and go forward and play. As I said then, there will be no trade of Chad Johnson. Repeat it again."

Lewis' daughter had notified him of Johnson's appearance on radio, and Lewis was not surprised by everything Johnson brought up. Asked about Johnson's attitude, Lewis said, "I can't control that. That doesn't mean anything to me right now. He's a special player and he's a Cincinnati Bengal for quite a while."

Johnson, who finished with a single-season franchise-record 1,440 receiving yards, has had six consecutive seasons with at least 1,000 receiving yards. He is under contract with the Bengals through 2011 after signing a $35.5 million extension in April 2006.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
I like the guy........ but he and T.O. on same team..........:eek:

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
why would the Bengals want to keep him when he clearly doesnt want to be there??? and him being there doesnt exactly make them a better team and will only bring distractions. ah i guess thats why they are the bengals...

superpunk

Reaction score
Philly crosses one more possibility off their list...looks into possible FredEx type WR in first round of draft.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Chad will demand a trade or hold out. He will win in the end.

He has the perfect T.O. blueprint on how to get out of a bad spot, and make millions doing it. :D

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Lewis' statement: "We will not trade Chad."

Lewis' read between the lines statement: "We will not trade Chad on the cheap, but if the right price comes along ..."

Reaction score
Not a good fit? Please Chad Johnson is the LEAST of the problems in Cinnci, Marvin Lews is no fool... I'd take him in Dallas anyday of the week, plus Ocho Cinco and T.O. are good friends, that would be a special combination! Crayton/Stanback working the 3rd receiver slot, OMG...

jRight

Reaction score
2199367193_4949033d2a_o.jpg

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;1911200 said:
Immense talent, but not a good fit for Dallas anyway.

I bet that GW TD gets caught if he were on the field instead of Crayton

:horse: I own this horse until further notice

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
if he REALLY wants out...he will be out. That is the Bengals strategy of upping the ante....he is gone

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
bbailey423;1912187 said:
if he REALLY wants out...he will be out. That is the Bengals strategy of upping the ante....he is gone

I think so too.