Video: Lincoln Riley Interview

Texas_Pete

Reaction score

Good interview. Talked glowingly of his players who were drafted (Cee Dee, Neville, Jalen). Notable points:

Cee Dee is very coachable. They knew he was special even in HS. They coached him hard and he was accepting of it. Says he needs to keep working but expects him to do well for us.

Neville had the "football knowledge of a 8th grader" when he first got there. He made tremendous strides to the point that he was dominant this past season. Still has a ton of upside.

He talked a bit about Jalen. I personally hope he sucks twice a year when we play the Eagirls. Otherwise I hope he has a good career. He is a fellow Texan after all.

Lincoln dodged the question about the Cowboys interest in him. :laugh:

He also mentioned DM29 and the importance of the running game. DM29 is gonna do well for them in recruiting and development of their RBs (which will SUCK for my Longhorns). I like how he doesn't dismiss the RB the way the pundits do. I like McCarthy but I would have LOVED Lincoln as Head Coach.

Really good interview. Jane and Bobby Belt are good interviewers. :thumbup:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Good interview. Talked glowingly of his players who were drafted (Cee Dee, Neville, Jalen). Notable points:

Cee Dee is very coachable. They knew he was special even in HS. They coached him hard and he was accepting of it. Says he needs to keep working but expects him to do well for us.

Neville had the "football knowledge of a 8th grader" when he first got there. He made tremendous strides to the point that he was dominant this past season. Still has a ton of upside.

He talked a bit about Jalen. I personally hope he sucks twice a year when we play the Eagirls. Otherwise I hope he has a good career. He is a fellow Texan after all.

Lincoln dodged the question about the Cowboys interest in him. :laugh:

He also mentioned DM29 and the importance of the running game. DM29 is gonna do well for them in recruiting and development of their RBs (which will SUCK for my Longhorns). I like how he doesn't dismiss the RB the way the pundits do. I like McCarthy but I would have LOVED Lincoln as Head Coach.

Really good interview. Jane and Bobby Belt are good interviewers. :thumbup:

I think Riley is the hire if McCarthy doesnt work out. But thats a long ways away. He'll probably have to have consecutive losing season for him to not make to year 4 of his contract

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Riley is the hire if McCarthy doesnt work out. But thats a long ways away. He'll probably have to have consecutive losing season for him to not make to year 4 of his contract
With the recruiting that was in place and his exploitation of that and playing in the Big 12, no way he has consecutive losing seasons, I don't think he'll have one losing season. They don't play D in the Big 12 and he will have the top O every year, they would have to sustain a lot of injuries.

The one thing that many get wrong about him is that he's not all about the pass, he's a run first coach and will continue to be among the top recruiters of RB's and builders of his OL.

Since he has admitted an interest in the NFL, the timeline of that is vague but I do not see him doing that until he wins the big one in college. No legendary status in OK without that.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With the recruiting that was in place and his exploitation of that and playing in the Big 12, no way he has consecutive losing seasons, I don't think he'll have one losing season. They don't play D in the Big 12 and he will have the top O every year, they would have to sustain a lot of injuries.

The one thing that many get wrong about him is that he's not all about the pass, he's a run first coach and will continue to be among the top recruiters of RB's and guilders of his OL.

Since he has admitted an interests in the NFL, the timeline of that is vague but I do not see him doing that until he wins the big one in college. No legendary status in OK without that.
I meant if McCarthy does

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I meant if McCarthy does
I know but I don't see him leaving OU and they'll pay him as much if not more than Booger will.

I think if McC stumbles, the next HC is from the D side because hiring O ones isn't working. But McC has time and the nature of this season might be a throwaway because no one knows what it's even going to be yet.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really subscribe to the notion that the run game or elite running back is not important in football. If you have ever played on a defense where the other is running it at will your defense is broken and there's nothing your team can do about it but pray someone can force a fumble.

The 49ers just ran the ball to the SB, yes their defense was stellar, but they ran all over teams with 3 different RBs. Also add the Ravens to run based high octane offenses.

Cederian will be locked in on learning from Amari Cooper cause if #88 can add a few of those Amari releases he'll be dangerous. Also, Gallup gets off press effectively too.

Lastly, DAL has new pipelines! OU n Alabama!
This off-season draftees or signings:
OU - McCoy, Lamb n Gallimore
Bama - HaHa, Diggs n Saivon
Move over Boise.